Best foreign artists & songs you don't understand?

Deepthought

Think hard, often
Banned
Flounced
Reaction score

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's a great song, but I certainly don't get the fascination with Gangam Style. :Shrug:

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
I don't think it's a great song, but I certainly don't get the fascination with Gangam Style. :Shrug:

Nor do I. Actually, I don't get the huge fascination with K-Pop all over Asia (except South Asia).

BlankWhitePage

Registered
Reaction score
Love Malajube. :) They're a French band that my French professor would play for us before class. I can only decipher bits and pieces of their work (as I only have made it through Beginning French) but they have great music and it's fun to listen and perhaps imagine what the song could be about.

And the song "Matalii ja Mustii" by Finnish band Varttina. Love that one!

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Anything by A.R. Rahman who wrote the score for Slumdog Millionaire.

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
Lyriel is one of my favorite bands evar. They're a German band with mostly English songs, but I love when she sings in her native language. Here's my favorite German song by them:

Aus Der Tiefe

It just makes me so happy. :)

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Sayuri Ishikawa. No idea what she is singing here, but it has a peacefulness about it which calms me. I really don't think you need to know, sometimes, the specifics if the intent and overall mood is powerful enough. Same with Eros Ramazzotti, whom I could listen to all day.

T. Trian

Banned
Reaction score
Lyriel is one of my favorite bands evar. They're a German band with mostly English songs, but I love when she sings in her native language. Here's my favorite German song by them:

Aus Der Tiefe

It just makes me so happy. :)

Lyriel is awesome, especially the old stuff.

Here's one piece that's perfect background music for dystopian sci-fi stories:

Einsturzende Neubauten - Steh Auf Berlin

Industrial music from West (or was it East?) Germany, off their second album, Kollaps that came out in 1981, if my memory serves me right. I discovered the band when a lecturer played it for the class at the uni.

Persei

Let it go
Registered
Reaction score
Probably the voice cast version of the opening song of Kimi ni Todoke.

I have no idea what they are saying, but it sounds good.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I like Gangnam Style, and the translated lyrics are very different from what I expected.

I listen to a lot of J-Rock/J-Rap/J-Pop from watching anime and certain video games (Persona series), but the only non-English language artist I'll actively seek out is Rammstein.

Kim Fierce

Attack me with everything you have.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimnflowers.blogspot.com

Me, my sister, and wife looked up the English translation . . . maybe we didn't get a good one because it didn't seem very coherent!

But we do think it's fun to watch our kids dance to the song haha.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Really digging Rokia Traoré right now. I can get some of her lyrics, like "j'ai eu le courage de ne rien faire" (I had the courage to do nothing), in her song Zen - here's a wonderful rendition from Later... with Jools Holland. What a sweet, groovy tune.

She's also divinely beautiful.

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
Eluveitie (folk metal but they have an album which is more folk with a metal edge which i love) and Manu Chao who sings in various languages and it's really fun party music.

Capeless

Registered
Reaction score
Ramstein.

Watching their music videos is like participating in a really twisted and hilarious game of charades.

See for yourself: Sonne, Amerika

Also, Inner Universe and Rise by Origa (from the Ghost in the Shell soundtrack) use a beautiful combination of Russian, English and even some Latin.