Copying the first 10 pages

theshovelbum

Steady Diet Of Nothing
Registered
Reaction score
Having trouble copying the first 10 pages from MS word...what am I doing wrong?

Highlight the text-10 pages
Copy
Save on Desktop with another title

where am I screwing up??

I did this last week to send off but am having trouble.

Does any of this make any sense...stressed since I heard from a request from an agency so bear with me---thanks Dave

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Are you trying to paste the text directly to the desktop or are you pasting them into a blank document first?

theshovelbum

Steady Diet Of Nothing
Registered
Reaction score
Either I suppose....an agency wants to see the first 10 pages ( I had sent this previously as an attachment)

they requested that I embed the query and the 10 pages into the body of the message????)

I copied last week and now I'm a bit confused.....#1 what am I doing wrong on the attachment and #2 is this what they want....

They wrote:

Dear Dave.

Thank you for your interest in our agency. Please send the first ten pages of your manuscript, along with the original query to this address-embed both in the body of the message.

Thanks for your help....its just a panic attack---haven't had one like this since the first time I got buck fever.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Not sure exactly what you're doing, but the simplest way is to highlight, copy, and paste into a new word doc. Save the doc under a different name, like partial. (In ms word)

Then you have it available for all purposes.

And yes, then copy and paste the text directly in the body of the email, as directed. It may screw up your formatting somewhat, but agencies are aware of that. Most will not open attachments for fear of viruses, so if you send it as an attachment, chances are they will simply delete it and forget about you.

theshovelbum

Steady Diet Of Nothing
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all........I really didn't take the attachment virus potential into account....will get to work and see if I can make it happen.

Can't thank you enough for your lucid explanations!

theshovelbum

Steady Diet Of Nothing
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks again everyone. I have added this thread as a subscript for future use. I've decided not to submit my manuscript yet after looking it over. This site had a lot to do with the decision as I realize that I had better develop my characters before wasting an agency's time on something that I can make better. Wonderful responses and were most helpful!!