Microsoft Word Issues

fasteddy8170

Registered
Reaction score
I am having problems with Microsoft Word 2000 (yes, 2000) shutting down on start-up. The file will appear for a split second then the program shuts down. This happens in Excel as well. This is on a Dell Inspiron laptop with Windows Vista. I've obviously had this program for years with no problems. What I've discovered is in that second that the file is open, if I click on any of the options at the top (File, Edit, View, Format, etc.), the file will stay open. But, as soon as I click out of those headings, the program closes. I've tried changing the default printer and it changed nothing. Doesn't matter what file I open, it shuts down. In fact, when it opens and I don't touch anything, it still shuts down within a couple seconds. All the other programs on the computer work fine. I tried starting the program in safe mode and it still shut down. I'd try a re-install but from what I've read re-installs don't usually fix this kind of program. In addition, I don't think I have the disk anymore. Any ideas how to fix this? The program worked fine last night but today it won't work. Never any issues before.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I am having problems with Microsoft Word 2000 (yes, 2000) shutting down on start-up. The file will appear for a split second then the program shuts down. This happens in Excel as well. This is on a Dell Inspiron laptop with Windows Vista. I've obviously had this program for years with no problems. What I've discovered is in that second that the file is open, if I click on any of the options at the top (File, Edit, View, Format, etc.), the file will stay open. But, as soon as I click out of those headings, the program closes. I've tried changing the default printer and it changed nothing. Doesn't matter what file I open, it shuts down. In fact, when it opens and I don't touch anything, it still shuts down within a couple seconds. All the other programs on the computer work fine. I tried starting the program in safe mode and it still shut down. I'd try a re-install but from what I've read re-installs don't usually fix this kind of program. In addition, I don't think I have the disk anymore. Any ideas how to fix this? The program worked fine last night but today it won't work. Never any issues before.

Couple of ideas for what they're worth:

1) Check your Windows Update history and see if it updated something overnight that is causing the problem. Word 2000 + Vista sounds like a fairly toxic combo from a support point of view.
2) Reinstall it. If you don't have the disk, try something like LibreOffice instead - it's a good free clone of MS Word and will open files made in W2000.

Charles Farley

Bango Skank
Registered
Reaction score
Instead of a reinstall (if you don't have the disk) try a repair install . . its in the drop down menu in "about" I think . . . its there somewhere anyway.

It very well could be an update issue like Torgo said . . you can uninstall the update that is effecting office if you did actually get any over night.

It also might be a file association problem. This is less likely because of the desription you give of how office is reacting. Try going into the properties of the file you are trying to open and make sure it is opening with word, excel . . whatever . ..

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
If it still goes sour after all that, I would do a total "scorched earth" uninstall that takes out every trace of the dratted software. My current favorite tool for this is Geek Uninstaller -- free, simple, and very thorough. No leftover files or registry junk. Then re-install clean. 'Cause it could be some little corrupted thing that slips by in an ordinary or repair install. "Geek" is handy to have around anyway, for things that you wish you hadn't installed. LOL

Wow, Word 2k! That's so old it's almost worth something as an antique ;)

ComicBent

Registered
Reaction score
Google it ...

Honestly, folks, I have found the Internet to be more helpful with questions like this. If it is a question about a normal function, people who are "power users" will know the answer, but problems are something else.

I used Google on "word file closes after opening" and got a bunch of hits.

Here is one to try that I read. It might help you with your problem. It is short. Here is a key paragraph:

Word Startup:
Most often if Word crashes when it first starts up, it's usually because you have global templates or macros or something in your startup folder of Word which have become corrupt or damaged for some reason.

The default path for Office’s startup is: “C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\STARTUP”. This folder is empty when you first install MS Office so try empty out this folder and restart Word.
Good luck, and if you figure it out, please report back to headquarters here so we will know for sure what to tell people in the future. :)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
A reinstall from disk did fix what I believe was a similar problem. It's been several years since I used Word 2000, but I did have what sounds like an identical issue. I uninstalled everything, including settings, backup files, and you name it, and then reinstalled fresh from the disk. Everything went well after that.

BDSEmpire

Kindly Bumpkin
Registered
Reaction score
As ComicBent posted, the normal.dot file can get corrupted and need to be deleted to get Word working again. It's the standard template that gets opened each time Word loads and can go buggy now and again. You can find it in:

User Templates Path (Default folder):
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates
Word Program Folder (Winword.exe location):
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office

Cleaning up templates and macros is also handy but that darn normal.dot file will go all kinds of weird.

GrayLensman

Rob J. Vargas
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Also temp files.

Word keeps a kind of running notebook of what it's doing, what it's done, and so on, using temp files. It's supposed to clean these up when it shuts down. It doesn't always work.

Looks for files on your hard drive with a tilde (~) as the first character in the file name. That's what Word (and quite a few other programs) name them. Usually with a .tmp extension.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
As others pointed out, it looks like the "normal.dot" file got corrupted.

Once you fix that problem (reinstall or repair), you will need to block access to that file by marking it as READ-ONLY. Simply right-click on the file through the File Explorer and set the Readonly checkbox.

Now, each time some new macro wants to get saved, a pop-up will appear. It's annoying, but that's the way to avoid getting your base template from being infected or corrupted with that version of Word. Newer versions of Word are better at preventing that sort of issue.

-cb