• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If I say "the Veil between the worlds", do you automatically think of Irish/Celtic mythology or is the phrase more general?

I'm only familiar with Irish/Celtic mythology but don't want to use that as the basis for the Fantasy world, so I'm wondering.

Poll should be posted ere long.

Thanks!

Shirokirie

*Leers at you awkwardly*
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hm.

Looks like a Bloomin' Eggplant to me.

But a lot of mythology/pagan derp is common in fantasies of all sorts anymore so, it goes either way. Yeah, I can see Irish/Celtic mytho influence. But, again, that's standard fantasy, too (the inclusion or re-rendition of pantheons, pagan rites and rituals, angels, demons, mythology and other forms of standard earthen lore).

So, yeah.

Bloom & eggplant?

BLOOM--AND--EGGPLANT!

Tezzirax

Registered
Reaction score
If by that you mean the barrier that seperates the realm of faerie from the real world then yeah, eggplants.

BChapel

Registered
Reaction score
Im confused. Eggplant?

I chose standard fantasy in the poll. But I agree that pulling from any mythology is going to happen, and I'd say don't worry too much about it :)

Shirokirie

*Leers at you awkwardly*
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Out of 12 people who voted so far, 10 don't know an eggplant when they see one. :(

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It's a phrase I've heard from mediums. On several occasions, in fact, so the right choice isn't there. Which means it's bloom and eggplant for me.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
The term or similar terms goes back farther than Celtic myths.

As a trope, its pretty standard for fantasy...

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
It does make me think of Celtic/Irish mythology, but since Celtic mythology as had a large influence on fantasy as a whole, I would be receptive to the concept being used in a fantasy story that was not taking place in that setting as long as they were introduced and defined in the context of your world.

Many fantasy tropes extend far beyond their original context and even when they tie in with a specific culture, they rarely came into being in a vacuum.

Someone mentioned it being used in fortune telling as well. I don't know if that use is derived from Celtic mythology or not, but it does suggest it's not just associated with faerie realms and the Hollow Hills.

Last edited:

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
There are references to a Veil of some kind between worlds in multiple mythologies. It's also been used so much in fantasy and horror writing that it can't be considered to have any specific cultural meaning anymore.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Out of 12 people who voted so far, 10 don't know an eggplant when they see one. :(
Keep in mind lots of places in the world don't call that particular vegetable an eggplant.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't think Celtic at first glance, but I've seen several iterations of a separation between the seen and unseen worlds. Or a barrier to the unknown/magic/darkness/etc.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
I thought it had something to do with Celtic/Welsh mythology based on something from a video game, but checking back at the LP I learned about the game from tells me that my initial thought was mistaken.

...so I'm really not sure which option that corresponds to, since other than the reference to Welsh mythology in the aforementioned game I don't know much about Celtic/Welsh mythology. :D

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know much about Irish/Celtic mythology but I do know of Native American folklore that specifically uses the phrase The Veil to describe the separation of the spirit world and the physical world. So yeah, it made me think of ancient ingenious people, just from another continent. :)

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. Kinda standard fantasy is what I was thinking, but one of my betas made me doubt. :D

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking standard fantasy thing too. I've seen it in a lot of fantasy stories that didn't have a mythology edge.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Didn't make me think of aubergines at all. Not sure why it would. La. LA!

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Standard fantasy concept.

Can someone enlighten me on this whole bloom & eggplant thing? No comprendo.

(I have no idea why I used Spanish.)

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
If I say "the Veil between the worlds", do you automatically think of Irish/Celtic mythology or is the phrase more general?

I'm only familiar with Irish/Celtic mythology but don't want to use that as the basis for the Fantasy world, so I'm wondering.

Poll should be posted ere long.

Thanks!

I'm pagan, and this is the term that many of us use in a very generic way to describe the separation between the "real" and the "mystical". Samhain (Halloween) is when you see it referred to most often.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
Can someone enlighten me on this whole bloom & eggplant thing? No comprendo.

Moi aussie. Je ne sais pas.

I googled Eggplant Veil just for kicks and I found out it's a bridesmaid veil. Perhaps this is what everyone is referring to? I really have no idea.

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
I voted for standard fantasy, but it also reminds me of the veil of illusion in Indian (as in India) lore.

Status
Not open for further replies.