Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Murphy Writing Seminars

eating cookies late at night

Murphy Writing Seminars

Hi,

Has anyone gone to the "Winter Poetry & Prose Getaway" in NJ, which is hosted by Murphy Writing Seminars?

I'd love any feedback - am considering going.

Or does anyone have a recommendation for a NJ/NY/PA writing workshop?

Thanks!
    Very early in life, I knew the only object was to grow ~ Margaret Fuller

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    I'm going to move this to Bewares, Recommendations and Background Checks, where it'll get a better response: meanwhile if you have a link which you could share I'm sure it'll help.

Cultus Gopherus MacAllister Medievalist's Avatar

AW Admin: This account is rarely active
    About.Me
    AWers On Twitter
    Lisa L. Spangenberg
    My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?

My general rule is that you should target your choice of writing seminars/workshops/conferences to your personal goals. If your goal is to publish fiction with a large commercial press, you should select instructors who have themselves published fiction with a large commercial press, who have been agents for fiction published with large commercial presses, or who have been editors for fiction titles with large commercial presses. If your goal is to publish poetry with a small press, you should select instructors who have themselves published poetry with a small press, or who have been poetry editors for small presses. If your goal is to publish non-fiction with a university press, you should select instructors who have published non-fiction with a university press, or who have edited non-fiction titles with university presses. If your goal is to self-publish a memoir and sell more than 10,000 copies, you should select instructors who have self-published a memoir and sold 10,000 copies. And so on and so on.

This may seem terribly obvious, but there are a lot of people out there selling "expertise" in things they have no actual experience with.

So, with the Murphy Writing Seminars, I would suggest evaluating how closely Mr. Murphy's writing and publishing experience matches with your writing and your goals. He has certainly placed poems with well-known literary journals, so if that's what you're looking to do, he may have very relevant experience for you.

Find me at
    BookTweeting on Twitter
    for a book review a day, every day!
    JUST LAUNCHED:
    EbookCheapskate,
    where you'll find reviews of
    free and cheap ebooks (under $5 US)!

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Partnered with Stockton College in '15.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: