• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Magazine] Whitefish Review

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
Full disclosure: My husband's good friend, Adam Blue, is the managing arts editor, but I have no other connection with the magazine ;)

Whitefish Review is a non-profit literary journal (both fiction and non-fiction) out of Whitefish, Montana, focusing on mountain life, art, culture, and photography. They opened in 2007.
It looks like a tidy, good magazine -- I've checked out a couple of issues.

They are currently open for subs -- 8/15 to 10/15 for their first annual Montana Prize for Fiction. The theme is Beneath the Surface. $1000 prize and publication in the mag. The contest will be judged by Rick Bass.
There is a $15 fee for entry.
While I'm not a fan of fee charging contests, Glimmer Train also charges for their contest entries so, well, there it is.
Regular submissions are fee-free.

I spoke with Editor Brian Schott this morning. He's very open and approachable, and he said the mag pays out for regular (non-contest) accepted subs $10 per printed page (open for negotiation) and takes first North American printed rights.

I'm not quite sure how that would actually pan out, and as a writer subbing to them I'd ask a few more questions.

But for anyone who writes the above mentioned genres, there ya go.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
As of Jan '15, $3 Submittable fee for regular subs.