The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Magazine] Whitefish Review

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse Foinah's Avatar

[Magazine] Whitefish Review

Full disclosure: My husband's good friend, Adam Blue, is the managing arts editor, but I have no other connection with the magazine

Whitefish Review is a non-profit literary journal (both fiction and non-fiction) out of Whitefish, Montana, focusing on mountain life, art, culture, and photography. They opened in 2007.
    It looks like a tidy, good magazine -- I've checked out a couple of issues.

They are currently open for subs -- 8/15 to 10/15 for their first annual Montana Prize for Fiction. The theme is Beneath the Surface. $1000 prize and publication in the mag. The contest will be judged by Rick Bass.
    There is a $15 fee for entry.
    While I'm not a fan of fee charging contests, Glimmer Train also charges for their contest entries so, well, there it is.
    Regular submissions are fee-free.

I spoke with Editor Brian Schott this morning. He's very open and approachable, and he said the mag pays out for regular (non-contest) accepted subs $10 per printed page (open for negotiation) and takes first North American printed rights.

I'm not quite sure how that would actually pan out, and as a writer subbing to them I'd ask a few more questions.

But for anyone who writes the above mentioned genres, there ya go.
    Last edited by Foinah; 09-19-2012 at 10:54 PM.
    Release date 10/24/2014
    ebook and print

Yes...I have an author site! It's keen!
    Short stories available for amazon kindle : Support my coffee habit
    Smoking Monkeys have all the fun. Yes, yes we do. Smoking Simian Scribbles (pssst, it's a blog)

Stop in, have a cup of tea and a smile, and say Hello in the Pagan Forum

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    As of Jan '15, $3 Submittable fee for regular subs.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: