Question About Homicide Detectives # of Cases open

Dani

Cuddly sweet teddy bear!
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard that many homicide detectives are overworked and struggling with the number of cases they have. I'd like to know, for a metropolitan city like Denver or Oklahoma City (population 1Mill-ish:

a) is that true?
b) how many open cases do they have at one time (an estimate)
c) Is it true they don't like to hand cases over to the FBI? Or if the FBI wants a case are they more than willing to hand it over because they're so overloaded?

Thanks in advance.

Cookies upon request!

John342

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard that many homicide detectives are overworked and struggling with the number of cases they have. I'd like to know, for a metropolitan city like Denver or Oklahoma City (population 1Mill-ish:

a) is that true?
b) how many open cases do they have at one time (an estimate)
c) Is it true they don't like to hand cases over to the FBI? Or if the FBI wants a case are they more than willing to hand it over because they're so overloaded?

Thanks in advance.

Cookies upon request!

I've worked homicides as a detective but not for a big city. I know in Chicago a Detective can have several open homicides. The thing is that as time passes without a closure you devote less time to it, especially as you get handed new cases. I'll make a phone call and see if some one will be able to tell me their average and max number of open homicides...

Handing over a case to the FBI would be considered a special circumstance. Most of the time you agree to work jointly so neither is upstaging the other.

Hope this helps.

Dani

Cuddly sweet teddy bear!
Registered
Reaction score
I've worked homicides as a detective but not for a big city. I know in Chicago a Detective can have several open homicides. The thing is that as time passes without a closure you devote less time to it, especially as you get handed new cases. I'll make a phone call and see if some one will be able to tell me their average and max number of open homicides...

Handing over a case to the FBI would be considered a special circumstance. Most of the time you agree to work jointly so neither is upstaging the other.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much, John. I really appreciate the feedback. And I'd love more info if you have it, that'd be great. If it's not too much trouble. Thank you so much! (LOL yes, I realize I said that twice. Doesn't seem enough to just say 'thank you' to the awesome people on this board).

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It's not unusual for the assigned detective(s) to complete the investigation phase, identify the perpetrator, have a warrant issued, but find that the subject is in the wind.

The active (felony) warrant is entered into NCIC and all participating agencies are made aware that if found, the subject will be extradited to the jurisdiction of origin. He would typically be arrested and charged with being a fugitive from justice, pending an extradition hearing.

The point is that pending that anticipated arrest, the original detective(s) usually have to move on to other open cases. They typically don't have the time or resources to devote to hunting the perpetrator.

What can be done to directly involve federal authorities is to have the original case agency request that the warrant be turned over to the U.S. Marshals Service Fugitive Task Force for execution. They'll hunt the fugitive anywhere on the planet.

They may also bring additional charges (federal and/or state) emanating from new crimes discovered in the course of the fugitive investigation, to include 18USC1071 (Concealing person from arrest), 18USC1073 (Flight to avoid prosecution or giving testimony). Another tidbit worth knowing is that lying to federal investigators is a federal felony (18USC1001) that carries a fine and/or up to five years imprisonment.

http://www.usmarshals.gov/

Dani

Cuddly sweet teddy bear!
Registered
Reaction score
It's not unusual for the assigned detective(s) to complete the investigation phase, identify the perpetrator, have a warrant issued, but find that the subject is in the wind.

The active (felony) warrant is entered into NCIC and all participating agencies are made aware that if found, the subject will be extradited to the jurisdiction of origin. He would typically be arrested and charged with being a fugitive from justice, pending an extradition hearing.

The point is that pending that anticipated arrest, the original detective(s) usually have to move on to other open cases. They typically don't have the time or resources to devote to hunting the perpetrator.

What can be done to directly involve federal authorities is to have the original case agency request that the warrant be turned over to the U.S. Marshals Service Fugitive Task Force for execution. They'll hunt the fugitive anywhere on the planet.

They may also bring additional charges (federal and/or state) emanating from new crimes discovered in the course of the fugitive investigation, to include 18USC1071 (Concealing person from arrest), 18USC1073 (Flight to avoid prosecution or giving testimony). Another tidbit worth knowing is that lying to federal investigators is a federal felony (18USC1001) that carries a fine and/or up to five years imprisonment.

http://www.usmarshals.gov/

Thanks, Mike <3 You've come through again.

In this case, the FBI agents were on their way to interrogate someone, got there, their interviewee is dead and local detectives are there. No perpetrators just yet, though the agents have some idea who it is.

(PS: I'm totally picturing you as Tommy Lee Jones from The Fugitive and you can't make me stop!)