Where we're going to eat, drink and be merry

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
I voted London because I live there which automatically makes it awesome :DBut I can travel a certain distance - Norwich, Oxford, Cambridge, Bedford, Milton Keynes...all fine. As long as it's not too far Oop North as I've got a gammy leg that tends to play up after too long on t'train. And everyone knows it's grim up there ;)

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds unlikely, but there is in fact a direct flight with flybe from Belfast City to Norwich.

Awesome. thanks

Gavage no one is too new to come to a meet! And don't worry about Seun, we'll make sure he is muzzled.

And if he gets out of hand just lick his ear and he's a real pussy cat.

OK . . . looks like it is going to be Norwich. So where in Norwich and date.

Easter Monday is April 1 - so we could go for the following weekends 6, 13, 20, 27 - or later some time in May. May 6 and 27 are the Bank Holidays. At the moment I can do any of them. So . . . Seun, another poll? or shall we just wait and see if any date is really popular?

Any date should be good, except maybe the 13th

I know it's too late now but why are all the choices in the South East? So unfair to the minority of the British population that live elsewhere......

:brit

I have to fly to a whole different country. sort of. :(

Ahhh good that you want to come. But 'skulk'? I doubt if you'll get the chance! We is a very chatty and sociable bunch. And we is nice.

We are also all raging alcoholics.

So, so long as there is gin, we should all play nice. :)

On another note - London is good for me, I could bring hubby (he's a member but has only posted about three times) and make a long weekend of it.

Also, since I've never managed to make one of these things before, what's the protocal? Do we get namebadges? :)

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Name badges - not thought of that, do we put RL or board name?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
There are a good number of other London-based AWers who haven't chimed in yet. I'll try to let some of them know.

I wore a name badge last time with my AW name.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I am *not* taking on those ninjas again so you all recognise me.

Can you also recommission those thousands of drunken Cockneys to wander up the street dressed as Santa Claus? It was like a street party and a drugs flashback all in one.

EDIT: the weird Shakespearean bloke with grey face paint was also a bit of an eye opener. Unlike your eyes, which were nearly shut.

Last edited:

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to go to a pub the Bloomsbury Set used to drink in, so I can pretend I'm proper clever like.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I'd like to go to a pub the Bloomsbury Set used to drink in, so I can pretend I'm proper clever like.

The Jeremy Bentham, near Gower Street, is just round the corner from Spearmint Rhino. HTH. :D

Seun said:
Definitely looking like London. Anyone want to suggest places or areas?

Brewdog (in Camden) does lots and lots of beers more interesting than the usual stuff. Plus there are board games. OTOH, it gets hellishly busy and noisy in the evenings.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
We previously met in The George on the Strand opposite the Royal Courts of Justice. It may well be possible to book their large upstairs room for free for the meeting.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I probably won't be coming but there's a gorgeous pub somewhere where Dickens used to drink in.
All I know is that it's near the Royal Literary Fund HQ!

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Ah, the glories of owning an ipad! I found it. It's Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese, on Fleet Street. A very literary pub. Perchance some of that creative energy will rub off on ye all.

There are several famous literary figures associated with the place: Oliver Goldsmith, Mark Twain, Alfred Tennyson, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, G.K. Chesterton as well as Dr. Samuel Johnson are all said to have been 'regulars'. However, there is no recorded evidence that Dr Johnson ever visited the pub, only that he lived close by, at 17 Gough Square. At The Johnson Club supper, December 13, 1892, 'an eloquent gentleman, present, an Irish Ex MP, pointed out that when Dr Johnson acted on his famous suggestion "let us take a walk down Fleet Street" the Cheshire Cheese must of necessity have been included among his places of call.'
Charles Dickens had been known to use the establishment frequently, and due to the pub's gloomy charm it is easy to imagine that Dickens modelled some of his darker characters there. The Cheshire Cheese Pub is famously alluded to in Dickens's A Tale of Two Cities: following Charles Darnay’s acquittal on charges of high treason, Sydney Carton invites him to dine, "drawing his arm through his own" Sydney leads him to Fleet Street "up a covered way, into a tavern … where Charles Darnay was soon recruiting his strength with a good plain dinner and good wine".

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.