The fun of finding a publisher/agent in Finland.

Boovis

Registered
Reaction score
I'm an English ex-pat living in Finland currently looking around for either an agent or publisher and it's proving to be the fun I expected it to be. I first started by applying locally and found that some agencies have a "if you don't hear from us then it was a no" attitude, which I find mildly frustrating to say the least. Then the other agencies say they won't deal with you unless you write in Finnish (even though their webpages, for example, might be in English...) and then they say they will represent you if you write in English but only if you're Finnish....

I've pretty much given up on getting an agent in Finland and have started sending out manuscripts and first 3 chapters etc to agents in the UK instead and there I experience more fun. It's either that I'm not based in the UK so they can't represent me, they don't accept overseas submissions, and lastly that those who might consider me don't accept email so I'm looking for a very large postage bill to get my work sent over to the many many publishers and agents that might even glance at the envelope after considering all the above.

The good thing is that most of my work has quite a bitter tone, so these experiences are helping my writing mood fantastically!

Is anyone else having such issues, either in Finland or even elsewhere?

Reactions: LucindaLynx

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
In this day and age, you don't need to stick with your local agents/publishers. Many a writer here publish outside of their country, for whatever reason. That's the beauty of the internet. :)

You might want to look around here in The International District - there are a a couple of threads about submitting to a foreign market.

Good luck!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Boovis, most of the good UK agencies that I'm aware of accept only electronic submissions and don't care where their clients live, so long as they write good, commercial books and behave professionally.

I wonder if you might benefit from searching more widely for an appropriate agent?

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Yes, consider querying US agents, too. I know many agencies here are fine with clients overseas.

Leena Maria

Registered
Reaction score
Have you considered going indie? That way you can make all the decisions yourself, keep the book for sale as long as you like, and decide where your book will be sold. (Talking about ebooks here).

My first ebook comes out 31st January (via Smashwords which delivers it to Nook, Kobo, iBooks and what have you. Also I put it for sale on Amazon Kindle myself), and while it has been a learning curve, it is certainly doable, and actually not very difficult. It is just the question of finding out what you need to do and in which order to do it. Once you've done it once, it gets easier, of course.

Leena :)

(yes, a Finn who writes in English)