Dragon Age 3: Inquisition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
The best recommendation I ever got was the leave the Hinterlands.
That needs to be a headline.

Having decided to woo the Templars, I played the Mages Quest last night just to see what it was like. Quite fun. And Dorian. Now he's gone altho someone assured me he'd show up eventually even if I went with the Templars.

nahalwi

Registered
Reaction score
He will. I can't tell you how, but he will! I actually enjoyed the mage version the best because of getting to do so much with him. They just swap a little between him and Cole, but in the end you get both.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I just finished my first play through on my new Xbox One edition of the game, including all DLCs.

Now, I've started again on Nightmare mode. I'm getting destroyed. I'm wondering how I'm EVER going to complete the boss in the Avvar DLC. On Normal difficulty, that one took me about 20 attempts.

Though, I do have to say the micro-managed combat system is finally becoming useful.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
He will. I can't tell you how, but he will! I actually enjoyed the mage version the best because of getting to do so much with him. They just swap a little between him and Cole, but in the end you get both.
The game got so much easier with Vivienne and Dorian in my party. I'm going to do the Templars with Vivienne and Solas and see if the difficulty is equal. Of course, it helps that I spent SO MUCH TIME IN THE HINTERLANDS I'm level 8! I've heard people complain about Sera (I've heard they do it, not what they say), but I actually prefer her to the Dwarf (that's probably blasphemy!). I haven't met Cole yet.
I do have to say the micro-managed combat system is finally becoming useful.
I only use it to see what level the enemy is.

Last edited:

thepicpic

May or may not be a potato.
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished my first play through on my new Xbox One edition of the game, including all DLCs.

Now, I've started again on Nightmare mode. I'm getting destroyed. I'm wondering how I'm EVER going to complete the boss in the Avvar DLC. On Normal difficulty, that one took me about 20 attempts.

Though, I do have to say the micro-managed combat system is finally becoming useful.

Crazy, crazy fool. Good luck, though. You're braver than I. Which class?

The game got so much easier with Vivienne and Dorian in my party. I'm going to do the Templars with Vivienne and Solas and see if the difficulty is equal. Of course, it helps that I spent SO MUCH TIME IN THE HINTERLANDS I'm level 8! I've heard people complain about Sera (I've heard they do it, not what they say), but I actually prefer her to the Dwarf (that's probably blasphemy!). I haven't met Cole yet.I only use it to see what level the enemy is.

I find the optimal team build for me is two mages, a rogue and a warrior. More often than not I play a very offensive mage, so the other is usually specced to do all the team powers I ignore entirely.

Yes, not liking Varric is blasphemy. You shall be made tranquil for this. Nah, I preferred him in 2, which I played far too many times to count (which is probably also blasphemy). But how he is makes total sense, even if I do miss the snarkier side of his personality. My problem is I also like Sera and my party build makes taking them both... dangerous.
As to the mage/templar divide... I tend to flip a coin now. I enjoy both paths although, when it comes to gameplay and characters (excepting Dorian, of course) I prefer the templar route. But I love the mage side because of the music that plays. Dirge of... something, it's called. Very morose. Which class you playing as?

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
Which class you playing as?
Human Warrior with one-handed sword and shield. I know, that's probably the most mundane, but it's pretty standard for me on a first playthru. I use the grappling hook tech a lot, especially on archers and mages. (And foxes.) It rocks. I don't know why they don't have dual-wield warriors! I know I played one in Origins.

Funny aside, I tried to flirt with Cullen but he got all flustered and said he didn't roll that way! Ah, well, just have to wait for D to show up again.

thepicpic

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, the grappling hook is pretty much vital as far as I'm concerned. I went sword and board for my first playthrough, but honestly I just got bored after a while. Mage is my favourite, followed by two-handed warrior and archer. I suppose I just like dealing the ouch.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, 20-odd hours in and I JUST figured out how to improve potions and tonics. That should help.

Ha! Yeah, just a tad.

I'm watching one of my favorite YouTubers do his Let's Play. 84 episodes in. Each one is a half hour to hour+. He STILL only uses the main healing pots. Sheesh!

thepicpic

Registered
Reaction score
I cottoned on pretty early because as soon as I was let loose in Haven I just ran amok, selecting everything to see what it does. The first time I actually bothered to improve a potion? Probably late into playthrough two. Incidentally, of the two I started on the 360, I finished neither.
Depending on difficulty, you can get away with using only the main healing potions. I tend to carry restorations as well because the AI chug through the main ones like there's no tomorrow. Then I get the capacity upgrade and start slinging those bees.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
I cottoned on pretty early because as soon as I was let loose in Haven I just ran amok, selecting everything to see what it does.
I was aware of the apothecary, and the upgrade potions table, I just expected I needed to find a schematic/recipe or SOMETHING. Then I happened to click on the Rock Armor tonic while visiting the table and it all became clear.:)

After resetting from my mage line adventure, I got distracted by the storm coast (the wet on those cave walls looks amazing!), but finally did the templars line tonight. I think the mage line was more fun, but I liked the timed part of the templars where you had to keep going back to fortify the great hall. That was a nice twist.

I immediately started the 'Close the Rift' quest, since I figured it couldn't really be going to work (surprise, surprise!) because I've heard how big the game is. Also, I wanted to get Dorian back (I had no idea it would happen so soon!). Conversely, I hated the save the villagers part because I didn't understand it until it was half over and so only ended up saving half of them. It grew quite disheartening to have my companions keep saying, "Oops, there goes another one..."

Now my MC is trudging through the snow. I figured that was a good place to call it a night.

Last edited:

thepicpic

Registered
Reaction score
Heh, yeah. The game can be horrendously beautiful sometimes.

I think I mentioned it up-thread, but I put off sealing the breach because it seriously felt like the end quest to me and I have apparently developed a phobia of game endings. One of my friends felt the same and only pushed on because I told him there was more.

A lot of villagers died on my first pass. Likewise, I had no idea what was going on. Nowadays, I still let Seggrit die out of spite. I mean, who the hell manages to trap themselves in a burning building with a pile of crates?

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
I played way too much this weekend. I'm seeing red health bars and firebombs when I close my eyes!

I (just now) found this list online of a recommended play order:

Haven - L1-4
Hinterlands - L4-7, L8-11, L12+
Val Royeaux - L4-6
Fallow Mire - L8-10, L12-15
Storm Coast - L7-11, L13-15+
Forbidden Oasis - L8-12, L5-15, L18-20
Skyhold - L10-12
Crestwood - L10-12, L13+
The Western Approach - L10-13, L14+
The Exalted Plains - L10-13, L13-16
Emerald Graves - L14-16, L16-20
Emprise du Lion - L16-19, L19-22
The Hissing Wastes - L19-23

Interesting the Hissing Wastes is so far down on the list. I went there right after moving into Skyhold, thinking the venatori aspect would offer me a Dorian favor quest. Of course, it didn't and I left after exploring a few tombs and wiping out the venatori archaeologists.

In fact the only thing I did between the hinterlands and Skyhold was a partial visit to the Storm Coast to get The Bull. As previously reported, killed a wounded giant and beat the mercenaries. And went to Val Royeaux, of course. Then I just did the story quests (Templars and Close the Rift).

Closing the Rift early probably made it a bit more stressful than it would otherwise have been but I must have been at least level 9. I spent that much time in the Hinterlands! Everything since moving to Skyhold has been pretty easy. Everything being Fallowmire, The Emerald Graves and the Hissing Wastes. I just started the Exalted Plains. Oh and just before starting the Exalted Plains, I killed the dragon in the Hinterlands. That was NOT easy, at one point all three of my companions were toast (why is it so important they run after me that they run right through flames?), but I managed to get them back and we prevailed on our first attempt.

I read somewhere that you can gauge your companions' moods by their tarot cards. But I can't seem to notice any changes.

Speaking of beautiful sets, that dwarven cave in the Hinterlands was lovely but so much was inaccessible!

thepicpic

Registered
Reaction score
I read somewhere that you can gauge your companions' moods by their tarot cards. But I can't seem to notice any changes.

Yes and no. It's based on personal quest progress and whether you start knockin' boots or not. Like the real world, you can't just find affection statistics on your friends.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
I totally screwed up on my sequence with this game. I finally, about 80 hours in, went to Crestwood and, not only is the story setting me up for events already resolved in the Western Approach, but nothing gives me experience. Even the Crestwood dragon didn't give me experience (though it did drop a lot of stuff). With a game that really wants to tell a story (as opposed to, say, Skyrim's "little story/big world"), they needed to figure out some way to keep players on track.

Natty11

Registered
Reaction score
The land of Maple Syrup & poutiney goodness
Website
chickenscratchscrawl.blogspot.ca
I found a post of my people :Hug2:I didn't do any of the main quest lines until I had completely the most of each location possible. I went into Crestwood and laughed at the enemies. The dragon was an easy kill. But in all fairness, I did this knowing that I didn't want to get on with the story. They clearly discuss Hawke being in Crestwood though. Well, anyway, I study the Wiki before any decision so I shouldn't talk

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
I totally screwed up on my sequence with this game. I finally, about 80 hours in, went to Crestwood and, not only is the story setting me up for events already resolved in the Western Approach, but nothing gives me experience. Even the Crestwood dragon didn't give me experience (though it did drop a lot of stuff). With a game that really wants to tell a story (as opposed to, say, Skyrim's "little story/big world"), they needed to figure out some way to keep players on track.

Yeah, the breadcrumbs could've been a bit more noticeable, I agree. I'm the completionist type who likes to fully finish an area before moving on. You just can't do that with some of them. As I did it, I was many levels higher than the areas I was in for about half the game. Unfortunate. But still, not a bad story. They did pretty good with this one. :)

Luzoni

Toddler wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
I know I'm like over a year late to the party (is that still considered fashionably late?) but I just got this game and it has destroyed my life. I basically don't do anything else but work and come home to close rifts in Thedas. I dreamed last night something feverish and hazy about being a potential replacement for the Divine Justinia.

I waited so long because I wanted to play this on a PS4, but I knew we wouldn't get one for ages yet. Well, we finally did. So I decided to get it. I started Fallout 4 and couldn't get into it (I'm a newbie to Fallout but Skyrim was my thing because melee is my fav) sacrilege, I know. Inconceivable. So I popped in DA:I instead and...two weeks later I just saved the empress even tho I bungled most of the mission. I'm so used to ME I'm still learning with DA. Never played any previous DA games so everyone's new to me.

My second playthru will be a Dalish elf female and I'm going to be so obnoxious to everyone. Haha!

Last edited:

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
So, I'll offer my postmortem.

Having purchased the game in September, I've now completed three playthrus, and started a few others that I dropped. I did all three as a sword and shield warrior "Champion". I tried a two-handed warrior once, but quickly discovered I hated it. First playthru was on normal difficulty and I finished the boss fight without losing any HP. I believe I even maintained full guard through the entire fight. I actually felt sorry for the poor deluded old man, seeing as I was not only trouncing him, but had pretty much repeatedly humiliated him throughout the game. That playthru lasted 150 hours.

Next I did Hard difficulty and I admit the first part was hard. Especially the Fallowmire because the undead would poison my folks (which I certainly never noticed on the Normal difficulty, though I also came to the Fallowmire much later on my first playthru). The only AI difference I noticed was enemy mages--they started using glyphs much more deviously. However, I knew way more about potions and smithing so after about the halfway mark, the game became quite manageable. Also, I had discovered that I could kill all the demons but then walk away and leave a rift open, which earned me all sorts of prizes and gave me access to many runes much earlier. (And, of course, you can close a rift but not claim all the stuff and come back later for more prizes, but I consider that cheating!) The final boss fight was about the same level of difficulty as on Normal. Total time was 120 hours.

Finally I played on Easy to see how quickly I could do the thing. Got in just under twenty hours. Skipped SO MUCH, including all non-essential characters. I certainly could have done it even faster but I find I simply can not refrain from collecting stuff. (It's right there! Twenty steps away! I'll just grab it quickly!) It's a curse. That was the most difficult Final Boss fight...As in I think maybe I lost some guard.

I may play again on Nightmare, though for the time being it simply doesn't appeal to me. After taking about a week off I tried fiddling with it a few days ago and quickly lost interest. If I ever get an XB1 and can purchase the DLC, I'm sure I'll play again. The only real DLC I had on my PS3 was the Black Emporium and it was totally broken. Broken as in I couldn't even shut the system off after visiting it; I had to do a hard reboot. So I didn't even try the Avvar. Anyway, I've logged way more than 300 hours since September and I'm not sure how healthy that is.

I loved the story, even though I never felt particularly threatened by Coryphee-wuss. There were parts that were beautiful, even on my last gen system. On first Playthru (Normal) I made Vivienne the New Divine. On my second (Hard), I softened Leliana and made her Divine. On my third (Easy) an unsoftened Leliana became divine by default I guess (because I did nothing and spoke to no one about the subject). So there's a reason to play again: make Cassandra the Divine! (Aside: On my first two playthrus I romanced Dorian, and on my third I didn't do any pursuing and somehow wound up with him again!)

Last edited:

thepicpic

Registered
Reaction score
I found it a little disappointing how weak ol' Cory's final fight was at first, but then I realised he's never been that dangerous as an entity. He's just a crackpot with one hell of a superiority complex. It's entirely in character so I'm good with it. I'm just a bit sad he dropped his large ham antics from 2. And that poor Hawke didn't get to be there for it.
Anyone else completed Trespasser? I finally did last week and don't know what to make of it. I mean, the combat was fierce and Alix Wilton-Regan (is that her name? My memory is pants) showed some serious acting chops as my lady Inquisitor, but the plot events? Hmm.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else completed Trespasser? I finally did last week and don't know what to make of it. I mean, the combat was fierce and Alix Wilton-Regan (is that her name? My memory is pants) showed some serious acting chops as my lady Inquisitor, but the plot events? Hmm.

I think it's something you get more out of if you're invested in Solas as a character - whether friendship or romance. My first play with my Solas-romancing lady elf was a gut punch. Second time through with a super pious Templar, not so much. But it definitely leaves a lot of doors open for a new installment. Big, ambitious things I'm not sure can play out all that well while keeping up the illusion of player freedom.

Not unless they bring the Quizzle back as the PC. But that's sort of not what Dragon Age does. Hmmm. (Plus, the next game hasn't been green lit and may not happen between extending Mass Effect and the secret new IP that lured David Gaider away ...)

thepicpic

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's something you get more out of if you're invested in Solas as a character - whether friendship or romance. My first play with my Solas-romancing lady elf was a gut punch. Second time through with a super pious Templar, not so much. But it definitely leaves a lot of doors open for a new installment. Big, ambitious things I'm not sure can play out all that well while keeping up the illusion of player freedom.

Not unless they bring the Quizzle back as the PC. But that's sort of not what Dragon Age does. Hmmm. (Plus, the next game hasn't been green lit and may not happen between extending Mass Effect and the secret new IP that lured David Gaider away ...)

The line at the end about finding someone new tells me it would have to be someone new. Besides, with Inky's current... condition (which seems an awful mean way to shut the character down), without a severe class overhaul there's no way any class would really work.
I found the speech Inky gives at the palace before the final run very powerful, though. Having played a sarcastic/kind Inky throughout, going aggressive and venting about it all was almost cathartic.

Status
Not open for further replies.