Dragon Age 3: Inquisition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
I just can't get into most of the romance options, let alone the limited LGBT romance options, this time around for various reasons.
I'm really glad that there are equal gay and straight options this time. I thought that was really cool.

But I don't like the lesbian options, either. I guess that's just the luck of the draw. I wish it was like Dragon Age II, where you could romance anyone you wanted regardless of gender.

I guess that's unrealistic. But honestly, who cares? It's a game. Slaying dragons is unrealistic. I want to romance Cassandra. ;_;

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
I don't think I'd want to romance Cassandra either. None of the girls really *click* with me, but I don't -hate- Sera (like everyone else) and I guess I never got Josie to open up around me. Sadly, I found Dorian charming, but he doesn't like girls, so that's useless.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really glad that there are equal gay and straight options this time. I thought that was really cool.

But I don't like the lesbian options, either. I guess that's just the luck of the draw. I wish it was like Dragon Age II, where you could romance anyone you wanted regardless of gender.

I guess that's unrealistic. But honestly, who cares? It's a game. Slaying dragons is unrealistic. I want to romance Cassandra. ;_;

I loved Dragon Age II for that, too. Yeah, unrealistic, but I liked the options. (The tortured elf dude was my favorite.

I just noticed I seem to go for elves in both earlier Dragon Age games, lol. No romantic elves, besides Solas (who bores and irritates me), this time around, it seems.

This is the first Dragon Age game where I'm not really into the love interests or even the characters in general. (I even enjoyed Dragon Age II characters, so I guess I have different tastes?)

I didn't hate them. In fact, I am enjoying some of them, but I can't get seem to get attached(?) to them like characters from the previous games, especially Dragon Age Origins. Maybe it's the way the Inquisitor storyline was set up that made me feel detached from the other characters?

It could also be because some of the characters I did enjoy didn't approve of the mages or magic, or are for Templars, etc. Which can be awkward, since I do play mages or side with mages, sometimes...

I don't think I'd want to romance Cassandra either. None of the girls really *click* with me, but I don't -hate- Sera (like everyone else) and I guess I never got Josie to open up around me. Sadly, I found Dorian charming, but he doesn't like girls, so that's useless.

I'm trying to romance Dorian right now, lol.

However, I feel weird having to choose the Templar side fro get approval from some of these other characters, though--while playing a Daliah Elf "Mage" (forgot what they called magical elves at the moment..)...

Um, maybe this is where I'm feeling the disconnect from some of the characters, lol? :p The characters I like seem to be pro-Templar?

I wonder if they can still like my Inquisitor, even if I join the Mages' side?

I stopped playing because of this detached/disconnect feel.

I'm thinking of just restarting the whole game and going on the mage's side. I would probably lose some characters' approval that way, but f *** it. I want my magical Dalish elf to be wild and free. (I'm such a rebellious Mage on the inside, lol.)

There's always sweet Josie. She's open to romance with female PCs and, to be honest, the story there is adorable.

(Especially after Solas, Blackwall and Iron bull who stays with the Qun. And Solas again. Several times. Omg this game hates my freaking heart.)

Oh, I forgot about her as an option, lol. I think it's because she's not really in my fighting party, so I didn't think about her being a potential love interest. She seems nice. Maybe I'll do it on another future playthrough as a female Inquistor.

Last edited:

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I loved Dragon Age II for that, too. Yeah, unrealistic, but I liked the options. (The tortured elf dude was my favorite.

I just noticed I seem to go for elves in both earlier Dragon Age games, lol. No romantic elves, besides Solas (who bores and irritates me), this time around, it seems.

Fenris from DA2 was great to me because he was an Elf and was voiced by my favorite actor. :D

Sera's an elf in DA:I. :D

I love elves in general, but I didn't like Zevran from Origins. He wasn't attractive or anything. Solas is... okay and intriguing. Maybe next time, but then I'd be an elf again.

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
What kind of female characters do you click with? I mean, who would you go for if you had the chance?

Um, maybe this is where I'm feeling the disconnect from some of the characters, lol? :p The characters I like seem to be pro-Templar?

I wonder if they can still like my Inquisitor, even if I join the Mages' side?
Some information for you:

Partway through the game, you can choose to ally with either the mages or the templars. However, that's not the only choice you make. If you choose to help the mages, you can either ally with the mages or conscript them. Likewise, if you pick the templars, you can choose to either ally with the templars or conscript them. If you ally with someone, they remain free but they become your friends. If you conscript someone, you're basically forcing them to join the Inquisition under your control.

So there are multiple choices that influence how the characters feel. For example, Dorian likes the mages and hates the templars. So if you ally with the mages, he approves; if you conscript the mages, he'll disapprove. It's the opposite with the templars. If you ally with the templars, he'll disapprove; if you conscript the templars, he'll approve.

So really, you can pick whatever side you want. What matters is how you handle it.

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
Fenris from DA2 was great to me because he was an Elf and was voiced by my favorite actor. :D

Sera's an elf in DA:I. :D

I love elves in general, but I didn't like Zevran from Origins. He wasn't attractive or anything. Solas is... okay and intriguing. Maybe next time, but then I'd be an elf again.
I've romanced Zevran about 40 times! Bad boy archetype with a sweet heart and all that - especially towards the end. I would have gone for Alistair, too, but he wasn't much into dudes, that one! (I tried playing with a female character once; I noped-noped-noped out of the game as soon as I saw her run.) I'll admit I modded his appearance a bit for my second (and subsequent) play-through; not much, but just enough that he wouldn't look so harsh. Vanity...

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
What kind of female characters do you click with? I mean, who would you go for if you had the chance?

I liked Cassandra, too.

For me, I enjoyed various female characters from the previous DA games and Mass Effect games. I just can't connect with the characters, both male and female, in this particular game, for some reason. Maybe like I said earlier, the Inquistion main storyline is causing that feeling of detachment this time around.

Some information for you:

Partway through the game, you can choose to ally with either the mages or the templars. However, that's not the only choice you make. If you choose to help the mages, you can either ally with the mages or conscript them. Likewise, if you pick the templars, you can choose to either ally with the templars or conscript them. If you ally with someone, they remain free but they become your friends. If you conscript someone, you're basically forcing them to join the Inquisition under your control.

So there are multiple choices that influence how the characters feel. For example, Dorian likes the mages and hates the templars. So if you ally with the mages, he approves; if you conscript the mages, he'll disapprove. It's the opposite with the templars. If you ally with the templars, he'll disapprove; if you conscript the templars, he'll approve.

So really, you can pick whatever side you want. What matters is how you handle it.

Oops.

Oh, dear. That means I screwed up things with Dorian, then, lol. XD I think I can still salvage I'the Romance, but I don't feel good joining Templars (at the moment, so far).

I will try better on a separate playthrough. (I just feel weird being with Templars, even if some of them seem nice...)

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
I've romanced Zevran about 40 times! Bad boy archetype with a sweet heart and all that - especially towards the end.
I romance Zevran on every single playthrough. I have poor self-control. ;_;

I have never seen the appeal of Alistair. He strikes me as too simple and nice.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website

In Inquisition? I think I said what I would about that.

I really like adorable, quirky females. Not the super serious types, like Cassandra. I think I already messed up with Josie, but something throws me off about her. She can get pretty work-serious too. No one like Isabella or Morrigan.

From past games characters like Merrill and Lelianna would be cute.

It'd probably be easier to link to my JRPG waifus, lols.

Compa

Lailah

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
In Inquisition? I think I said what I would about that.
Huh? No, I mean in general. Doesn't even have to be the Dragon Age series.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
I played once each choosing the templars and the mages, allying with them (not conscripting). Never had any problem getting Dorian's affection. You just need to keep flattering him until you get the letter from his father and then be cool. The only way I've heard to definitely NOT have him romance you is to be too aggressive with the whole family heirloom business.

Cernex

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I'd want to romance Cassandra either.

I actually really, REALLY like romancing Cass as a 100% Dalish elf (or at least as Dalish as possible, since the game is a bit limited on that regard. Not as bad as "Dalish that somehow thanks the Maker" Dragon Age I bad, but still). For me, it added enough charm and personality to the romance to make it actually worth it. There are hints of character evolution on both the Dalish elf and Cass when the romance goes... well, full romance (sadly, that gets negated the second she's chosen as The Divine). Cass, sadly, its still one of the most static characters in the game, so the implications are very brief and don't show of as often as they possibly should, but still, I recommend it.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I actually really, REALLY like romancing Cass as a 100% Dalish elf (or at least as Dalish as possible, since the game is a bit limited on that regard. Not as bad as "Dalish that somehow thanks the Maker" Dragon Age I bad, but still). For me, it added enough charm and personality to the romance to make it actually worth it. There are hints of character evolution on both the Dalish elf and Cass when the romance goes... well, full romance (sadly, that gets negated the second she's chosen as The Divine). Cass, sadly, its still one of the most static characters in the game, so the implications are very brief and don't show of as often as they possibly should, but still, I recommend it.

Would probably be worth it, if I played as male characters lols.

Sketti

Registered
Reaction score
I adore Cassandra! I want to romance the heck out of her but I prefer to play female Inquisitor. I like the voice acting better and also connect more with a female PC. I just kind of love the Templar LIs... I love corrupting the good Chantry kids ;) I also love romancing Cullen.

I really enjoyed romancing Blackwall, good bit of drama, angst and heartbreak. It's a bit less fluffy than the other romances.

I am not crazy about the lesbian romances possible in this game either. I love Sera... Like a crazy baby sister... Josie is sweet but I like my women a bit tough/rough/kickass, like Cass... I think it would have been interesting to be able to romance Leliana. I didn't like her that way in Origins but I don't go for the innocent, wide-eyed types. She's grown enough by this point that it doesn't feel like statutory rape... It's why the idea of romancing Merrill squicks me out too. She's too... young.

You don't get that in the male LI, they never come across as being younger than their years. A bit innocent, maybe, a bit naive, but definitely their age. It grosses me out that even Bioware still sort of panders to that crowd that thinks childlike women are sexually desirable... If you see what I mean?

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I like the innocent, wide-eyed types of girls. They're so cute!

This was my first chance to go for a girl x girl relationship in a Dragon Age, so I went with Sera. I found her more fun than Josie. Josie just didn't seem like my type at all. I kind of wish she had prettier hair. XD

Sketti

Registered
Reaction score
I am having Cullen Skink for dinner. I thought you might be as tickled by it as I am.

Also, look where I am:

CprwpUwWYAAduFU

Anna_Hedley

Fuelled by tea and crumpets.
Registered
Reaction score
Ayyyyyyyyyy, Kirkwall.

I think my main playthrough of Inquisition has like four hundred hours on it and I also did an insanity mode playthrough for the last achievement. I enjoyed the game but I wish we'd had more opportunity to interact with the companions. The world was big and beautifully rendered but it just felt... empty, with a tonne of repetitive fetch quests. And some of the characters, Vivienne especially, you didn't really get to know very well. Her personal quest was so belated and perfunctory compared to the others. She's so complex and has so much potential but you get to see so little of her.

My favourite romance is Cassandra. Fenris in DA2. I like them strong and stoic :D

thepicpic

May or may not be a potato.
Registered
Reaction score
Ayyyyyyyyyy, Kirkwall.

I think my main playthrough of Inquisition has like four hundred hours on it and I also did an insanity mode playthrough for the last achievement. I enjoyed the game but I wish we'd had more opportunity to interact with the companions. The world was big and beautifully rendered but it just felt... empty, with a tonne of repetitive fetch quests.

Having lurked for a while and given the matter some thought, I've come to the conclusion that Inquisition is very much a counterbalance to 2. I found 2 very character-focused, but DAI feels more weighted to the overall lore. This isn't a criticism as there's some massive stuff going on, but for those of us who preferred 2 over Origins it leaves a bit of a disconnect, I feel. However, as a side-effect of all this lore seriousness, there's less snark going on. Varric's gotten serious and my favourite smartarse pirate girl with a heart of gold is conspicuously absent. Poor silly Hawke's been broken by everything and can't find anything funny.
Which is why my playthroughs of DAI tend to end up with Sera. I need more silliness, but I suppose pie-to-the-face goonery will have to try and fill the void of the mighty cavalcade of sarcasm and dreadful jokes.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I'm so glad to come here and see others who prefer DA2!!!

I thought I was alone, but I am NOT. I am in good company!

I agree with those who said this iteration just feels kind of empty. I've only played it through twice, but both times the romance just happened, without any real challenge. The characters just fell into place and supported me - some grumbling, but nothing like the big climactic scene at the end of DA2 where some of my companions actually ditched me and fought on the other side. THAT was high stakes. This one? Not so much.

The scenery was gorgeous, and it was absolutely a relief to not have to go back up into the stupid North Shore mountains Wounded Coast again and again. Technically, this one was great, but it really didn't have the same heart as the second one, for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.