Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Books Partner Program

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Question Google Books Partner Program

Anyone out there have anything to say about the Google Books Partner
    Program?

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    In what context?
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Without context, here are some general comments:

Formerly called "Google Print", this "Partner Program" has generated much controversy over its posting of copyrighted material without permission. This has been discussed at length elsewhere.

One serendipitous feature is that a search on an agent's name will often result in a few books that the agent or agency had a hand in.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Simran

Google Book Search

Here is another valuable promotion resource.

http://books.google.com/googlebooks/author.html

TheScorpion
    I entered the necessary info' to list my book on Google book search seven months ago and despite emails from them confirming they have the info' and thanking me for my patience, the book has still not gone 'live'.

Anyone else experiencing this? Is this delay normal?!

George

Hmm... have you tried contacting Customer Services? I'm doubtful they can help, but it may be worth a try? Or is there other contact information you can use?

TheScorpion
    Hi Snitchcat,
    I've previously had replies to my queries from Google support advising that they'd checked it out and that they had the info' required, (I'd actually ended up sending them a PDF file on CD) but nothing happened - contacted them again and they advised that their tech's were having some delays but it should be sorted within three weeks - that was over a month ago and still nothing.
    Must be over seven months now!
    I'll wait a few more days and then give them a again!
    Cheers, George

google book search

Has anyone tried this "google book search" thing to market their stuff? Any stories about its strengths/weaknesses & successes/failures?

practical experience, FTW Toni1953's Avatar

Google book search

Was just wondering if anyone here signed up for the "Promote Books in Google" program. It says it is free. I'm always leery of stuff like that. Anyone have any experience with the program?
    Toni
    Repped by Josh Getzler, HSG Literary
    Hey! My cat has his own blog! (Yes, Rocco blogs!) http://www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
    Out now: CLAWS FOR ALARM, the second Nick and Nora mystery
    coming December 2016: OF CRIME AND CATNIP

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    Tell us more about the program.
    Winner of the Best Drycleaner on the Block Award.

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising Del's Avatar
    In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
    I have uttermost confidence in Google. I think they strive for community beneficial services. I think they are pro literature for the sake of literature, even if it gets them in hot water now and then. I don't think they would devise a scam.

practical experience, FTW Toni1953's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HapiSofi
    Tell us more about the program.
    From the advertisement on the Absolute Writers site:

Promote your books on Google for free
    You'd sell a lot more books if a lot more people knew about them. We can help make that happen. Help users discover your books
    By matching the content in your books with user searches, Google Book Search connects your books with the users who are most interested in buying them.
    Keep your content protected
    Users are able to preview a limited number of pages to determine whether they've found what they're looking for.
    Drive book sales
    Links to bookstores, online retailers, and your website make it easy for users to go from browsing to buying -- with new ways to buy and access your books coming soon.

What I got from clicking on the advertisement was that you post a Google Ad on your website and they will make news about your book available. Has anyone participated?
    Toni
    Repped by Josh Getzler, HSG Literary
    Hey! My cat has his own blog! (Yes, Rocco blogs!) http://www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
    Out now: CLAWS FOR ALARM, the second Nick and Nora mystery
    coming December 2016: OF CRIME AND CATNIP

Ruled by Dachshunds smallthunder's Avatar
    I have used Google Books on the other end -- i.e. while searching for info -- and I have to admit that I've been tempted to buy a book or two whose contents matched my search ...

The only reason I haven't purchased, mind you, is because I have been able to find the info I needed elsewhere ... or because it was an idle search to satisfy a whim, not something serious.

More often the latter than the former, actually.
    "'Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with,' the Mock Turtle replied; 'and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision.'

practical experience, FTW

Thumbs up More Google books - promotion...

This is not a plug for my book. Google is promoting my book at BUY.com (I had no idea they were doing this) by taking off $10 of the book price if you buy through Google checkout. Pretty cool. You guys may want to put your books on Google books, see here: http://www.buy.com/prod/a-man-and-hi...204177668.html . Look for the Google checkout box on the page and the blurb about taking $10 off.
    Mods, please remove me from the AW member rolls please.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin lisanevin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snook View Post
    This is not a plug for my book. Google is promoting my book at BUY.com (I had no idea they were doing this) by taking off $10 of the book price if you buy through Google checkout.
    Congrats to you.
    A caution to everyone! You can only use google books if you have all the rights! That is, if you have a publisher you need the publisher to list your book in google books, you,as the author are not allowed. I'm sadly very familiar with this.
    Lisa
    www.lisanevin.com
    lisanevin.blogspot.com
    Author: Into This Mind

ps. cute puppy on the cover - Who did the cover?
    Lisa
    www.lisanevin.com
    lisanevin.blogspot.com

That would be me that did the cover and that's Bunkie. It was one of two pictures that I had left of Bunkie; the ex threw out all the other pics. These were hiding in my old sea bag. Thanks for the good words about my buddy.

that's just low throwing out pictures of a beloved pet!
    Lisa
    www.lisanevin.com
    lisanevin.blogspot.com

I'm not sure that she specifically targeted the Bunkie stuff, it was probably just caught up in the heat/cold of the moment. All the pics were slides. The whole experience was horrid, I wouldn't wish divorce on anyone. It all worked out for the best in the long run but it was tough. Anyway, the run of the Bunkie book is over, I killed the distribution this last week in preparation of the big book coming out next year.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Taking off $10 ??? Wow! What a robbery!
    I'll never deal with them...

I looked at it and saw my book on there as well. The discount are for those first-time buyers for the whole basket at checkout. If the person just buys the one item, its 10$ off. If they buy more than one item, its still just 10$ off. Its a way to get you to buy something from them and not someone else. Its a good deal for the buyer but it would mean less royalty for the author. They limit the discount to one per customer. Its a good deal if you want to go in there and buy something for yourself.

Amber
    Amber Rigby Grosjean
    4 book author (paperbacks and e-books)
    Cursed Blood, Stolen Identity, Spawn of the Curse, and Peterson Estate.
    My Blog
    Dreams really do come true!
    Inviting all published writers and publishers. Click Here to be included in my newsletter.

Info on Google Book's "Partner Program" for publishers and authors: http://books.google.com/intl/en-US/g...our/index.html
    ICAO
    ---------

Print release:Sept.1,'09 Branwyn's Avatar

Thumbs up

Sounds good. Are you going to dive in, Toni? I may join you.
    The Hanging Tree-WIP
    Harvest Moon-WIP
    myspace.com/elladonna
    The Upside of Karma

Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux View Post
    Info on Google Book's "Partner Program" for publishers and authors: http://books.google.com/intl/en-US/g...our/index.html
    Wow! I haven't heard of this program before, so I used the link and without any expectation typed the title of my book (which is not yet published!) - and there it was! As I haven't submitted any information to the site, it must be my publisher who did it!

This just in, via Writer Beware: The Authors Guild, et al. have settled their suit with Google over the Book Search program. http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2008/1...ld-settle.html
    ICAO
    ---------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast