Byline

Umgowa

Registered
Reaction score
A magazine I want to submit an article to says in Writer's Market . . . "Byline sometimes given." My reaction is . . "what the H**"??? I need clips . . I need to establish myself. What good is an article with no byline? Does this magazine think that future magazines wanting clips from me are going to be happy with my sending an article I say I wrote. An article with no byline and only my word that I wrote it?? If that's the world we're living in I will search for great articles with no bylines and send them in as mine. Great scam. What gives here? Can some more experienced writers put this in perspective for me? Thanks.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
There are no bylines in The Economist and every issue is full of great stuff. I would say it is a style thing. I wrote for a magazine where most of the smaller stories had no bylines, but the longer stories did. However, most publications do run bylines. Don't be afraid to ask them why they don't or what you have to do to have your name appear with your work.

Last edited:

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
I would also ask about them about it. I don't know why they wouldn't give a byline, so I won't even assume. It's best to ask them about it and say you'd love to write for them, but you could use the byline. They'll probably understand.

*Amel*

Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps the magazine heavily edits some of the articles they receive. This often happens when the author has provided a good concept and solid research, but the writing is lacking in other ways. In cases like these, some magazines may prefer not to give by-lines. Another scenario might be that the magazine combines two or more articles from different authors to create a new article. Personally, I think the magazine should include a note mentioning the people who contributed, but not all do. As Arisa and gettingby mentioned, there may be other reasons as well, so it is better to ask.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Magazines aren't concerned with your need for credits. Many things go into the byline decision, and there's always a reason. There's nothing new about this. The no byline factor has been around for hundreds of years, and it is not a scam, nor does it allow anyone else to pass off an article as their own. That makes no more sense than thinking you could just remove a byline, paste in your name, and pass that article around as your own.

If you don't want to write for a magazine that doesn't give you a byline, then don't. No one is forcing you to do so. But it is not a scam, and there is reason for the no byline decision.

SpiderGal

Princess of Nerds
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with James. For every one magazine that doesn't give a byline, you'll find five others that do. So put on your virtual telescope, and go looking for those publications.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
There are also publications (mostly newspapers) that do take freelancer work but slap on staff bylines on those pieces. It happens. You don't do that kind of work for the byline, you do it for the money. Sometimes very good money.

I think this is all changing in the world of "writers have to be brands" but there are publications that do this, and as long as they're upfront about it, I don't really see it as a problem.

DennisB

Banned
Reaction score
Short, front-of-the-book stuff usually doesn't get a byline.
Getting that first sale is tough. But if you really can write and need to prove it, there are many outlets that'll accept your stuff, free. Then you can build a small library of published works... enough to get you in the door.