Need Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahJane

Registered
Reaction score
So I have a dark fantasy series (the Sevy Series). Book 1 (Thief) and Book 2 (Shades of War) came out in 2010, and the third (Masquerade) is coming out this Oct/Nov. They are all published by Mundania Press.

Problem is, I wasn't able to generate much interest in the first 2 books. Only a handful of reviews, despite how many requests I sent out.

How can I market the 3rd book if no one knows about the first two?

You can see the books here: http://sarah-janelehoux.com/novels.htm

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I'd suggest looking at your online presence. You've not filled out bios in places (Goodreads doesn't have one and your blog's bio isn't on the main page). The link to Twitter on Goodreads is broken, you haven't listed fantasy as a genre, and there are few books in your library, which implies you didn't really bother with the profile. You're following very few people on Twitter and not really talking to them. Both Twitter and your blog come across as mostly self-promotional.

All these spaces let you talk directly to readers, which is especially useful if reviewers aren't picking up the book. But you've got to provide readers with some value outside of 'buy my book'.

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
I agree with Polenth. You need to make the most of all the free advertising out there. I got most of my reviewers from Goodreads and Twitter, rather than Email queries.

Can you go back and market your first books? Spend a month or two plugging them and then people will look for the next few books in the series. Perhaps you could run a giveaway of the first book to celebrate the release of your third book. I'm not sure how free you are to do things like that under your publishing contract but it could be something to think about.

SarahJane

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. I try to be social, but honestly, I have social anxiety. Yes, even online. I suppose I'll have to make more of an effort to "talk" to people.

Thanks for taking a look at my blog and Goodreads.

Sarahdalton, how do you get reviewers on Twitter without sounding like you're begging?

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. I try to be social, but honestly, I have social anxiety. Yes, even online. I suppose I'll have to make more of an effort to "talk" to people.

Thanks for taking a look at my blog and Goodreads.

Sarahdalton, how do you get reviewers on Twitter without sounding like you're begging?

Hi, sorry I only just spotted this!

Actually they contacted me on twitter. I've purposefully been following book bloggers and some of them contact me by direct messaging. I think just getting into a conversation with a like minded book reviewer is the best way, and then dropping a friendly DM.

I've had a couple of random DMs from book reviewers. One girl sent me a message requesting my book along with her address before I'd even agreed to give her a copy!

Status
Not open for further replies.