Winter outside a house with children in a horse-drawn sleigh

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Orion Publishing Group / Gollancz

practical experience, FTW JulesJones's Avatar

Orion Publishing Group / Gollancz

Can't find an existing thread for Gollancz, mods please merge if I've overlooked it.

Once an independent company whose yellow jackets are a fond memory for UK sf fans of a certain age, now a science fiction and fantasy imprint of Orion. And they've posted on their blog this week to remind people that they do take unsolicited submissions, even if it takes longer than they'd like to read and respond to them.

Full submission guidelines at the blog post, the most important bits of which are:

# Gollancz publish Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror, Urban Fantasy, Steampunk, Dystopia and a little YA cross-over fiction. If you’re writing in these areas, we’re happy to take a look at your work.

# Only get in touch when you have a complete, spell-checked manuscript of 80,000 words or more.
    http://www.julesjones.com

Sex and love, lies and truth, shades in between. Happy endings and might-have-beens. Nine tales of these things between men. Stormy Nights - released by NineStar Press on 24 July 2017.

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JulesJones View Post
    And they've posted on their blog this week to remind people that they do take unsolicited submissions, even if it takes longer than they'd like to read and respond to them.
    Longer than they'd like can run into years

"wonderfully old-school epic adventure fare"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcvasKnJlV8

They said six months in the blog post (which is not unusual for over the transom). How accurate that is...

Sex and love, lies and truth, shades in between. Happy endings and might-have-beens. Nine tales of these things between men. Stormy Nights - released by NineStar Press on 24 July 2017.

The Gollancz guys are great people, very accessible at cons etc but they are a small team and, as one of the UK's leading SF/F publishers, they get a load of agented submissions

I hope they respond quicker to agented subs. I know someone who sent them a mms in 2009 and hasn't heard anything since. That could have been
    'no answer means no', since I didn't see the mms itself.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

'Out of the Shadows' HarperCollins SentaHolland's Avatar
    does anyone have any more recent information?
    Senta Holland
    'Out of the Shadows and into the Darkness' - HarperCollins 2013
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Shadows-.../dp/B009UKRIBA

I don't think anything has changed. They remain one of the UK's major SF/F publishers. They took nearly a year to reject my latest (agented) novel.

'Out of the Shadows' HarperCollins SentaHolland's Avatar
    thanks for being here and answering! hope you got the novel published gloriously elsewhere.
    Senta Holland
    'Out of the Shadows and into the Darkness' - HarperCollins 2013
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Shadows-.../dp/B009UKRIBA

Gollancz are changing their policy on looking at unagented subs and are moving to a submission window.
    http://www.gollancz.co.uk/2015/03/go...on-10th-april/

Next open submission window announced today: http://www.gollancz.co.uk/2015/10/gollancz-direct-submissions-january-2016/

• Submissions will be open 4th to 22th January 2016. Only submissions with valid postdates will be considered.
    • We will only be accepting PHYSICAL submissions.
    • We will only consider SF, Fantasy, Horror or YA Crossover novels. They must be complete and more than 80,000 words.
    • We will consider previously self-published works.
    • We will not consider works we have previously rejected.

(More details at the link.)

Orion unveils new imprint Trapeze

I thought folks might like to know. If this is already listed elsewhere, I do apologise.

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/or...trapeze-324281
    “You cannot please everyone with your deeds and your art, please a few. To please many is bad.”

practical experience, FTW Pisco Sour's Avatar
    I am slowly descombobulating. Gollancz has requested the full on the book I submitted to the open call in January. Eek! Double eek! And another publisher is also interested so...trying not to get my hopes up, but I'm going to enjoy it all the way until I get that e-mail. Either way, the fact they want to read the full makes me feel all gurgly inside.

ETA: alas, it all ended with rejection. Some nice comments, though, but this book is currently trunked.
    Last edited by Pisco Sour; 11-10-2017 at 05:47 PM. Reason: update

Has anyone ever submitted to Gollancz via the agent route and received no response or a rejection? And, if so, what were the response times like? I'm trying to get an idea on what Gollancz are like at responding to agented submissions. There's lots of info on their open submissions - and I know that the response time there was long, like over a year - but I can't ever seem to find out info about response time on a more traditional route. I've been on sub to them for months with no response and have no idea if this means no response is a no.
    Last edited by writera; 11-10-2017 at 04:11 PM.

My agent had a response from them within about 8-10 weeks of the sub. I'd be surprised if they're "no response means no", Gillian and Marcus are both very thorough and professional.
    Facebook Twitter Website

Priest of Bones coming October 2018 from Ace/Roc & Jo Fletcher Books

I've had a similar experience to Pete. I think mine was around 10-12 weeks, but that was also over the summer months when a lot of people are on holiday. The Gollancz team are generally fantastic.
    The Traitor God, published by Angry Robot in June 2018

Website Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by PeteMC View Post
    My agent had a response from them within about 8-10 weeks of the sub. I'd be surprised if they're "no response means no", Gillian and Marcus are both very thorough and professional.
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronJohnston View Post
    I've had a similar experience to Pete. I think mine was around 10-12 weeks, but that was also over the summer months when a lot of people are on holiday. The Gollancz team are generally fantastic.
    Thanks for the replies guys. I've since parted ways with my agent and the submission to Gollancz is out about 6 months. My agent told me they're not withdrawing the submissions and I am free to follow up with editors myself if I like. So far, I've been advised not to do this by others on the board, so am leaving things stand with most of the submissions. But in regards to Gollancz being responsive, do you think I should message them to either withdraw the novel or check in on its status? Or just leave it as is?
    Last edited by writera; 11-10-2017 at 04:11 PM.

I don't see much point in withdrawing to be honest. You likely can't resubmit if it's been there 6 months, so...yeah. It's on you now, so personally I would drop them a quick and professional email (if you have that editor's contact details) to advise that you have now parted ways with your agent and were wondering what the status of your current submission is. Where is the harm in it.
    The Traitor God, published by Angry Robot in June 2018

Website Twitter

Thanks Cameron. Yeah, that was my feeling too, but others said it might be unprofessional or annoy the editor. I do think my former agent would let me know if a response still comes in, as we parted amciably, but at the same time, that agent doesn't want to chase up any outstanding subs. But they did tell me I could contact the editors. I just don't want to look unprofessional or make an editor uncomfortable by an author emailing them directly. It's a pickle of a situation!
    Last edited by writera; 11-10-2017 at 04:41 PM.

Romance with Kick-Assitude! Cassie Knight's Avatar
    I'm a publisher and I would want you to email me to check on status especially with the change. Just send an update, make sure they have your contact information. Sometimes such a nudge helps. Good luck!
    Cassiel Knight
    Publisher, Champagne Book Group
    www.champagnebooks.com
    Paranormal Romance with Kick-Assitude!
    www.CassielKnight.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cassie Knight View Post
    I'm a publisher and I would want you to email me to check on status especially with the change. Just send an update, make sure they have your contact information. Sometimes such a nudge helps. Good luck!
    Thanks for this advice. I decided to email them directly a couple of weeks ago. One editor did email me back to say they never received the original submission and asked me to resubmit, which was great. As for Gollancz, they haven't emailed back - yet anyway.