What's the Market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmelrose89

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a demand for humor-books these days? What about travel memoirs that are told to be humorous? Are there any agents or publishers that are more willing or adept at working with these fields--or is it all just vampires and kinky sex these days?

LucyWoodhull

Dial B For Bacon
Registered
Reaction score
The best way to start to get a glimpse at the market is to find books similar/vaguely like what you want to write. Look those authors up on Amazon -- how is the book doing? Look up their website -- are they represented? Also get a subscription to Publishers Markeplace if you like; you can look up sales recent and past there by genre, and see which agents are selling what.

August Talok

Don't Eat the Grot!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tigcarson.com
I been working on a sci/fi adventure story that has quite a bit of humor for a year now. As for a travel memoirs that's told to be humorous... I would read it.

SilverDragon

Registered
Reaction score
That is something that I have been wondering about as well. I started on a science fiction comedy novel (thanks to inspiration by Douglas Adams) but I never finished it. I was told there wasn't much of a market for something like that anymore.

In what humor genre do you really want to write?

Chaoticia

Banned
Reaction score
I always assumed the market was a place where you go to buy watermelons from people who speak broken English. But on a more serious note, people probably don't buy a lot of comedy books because they're too busy jacking off to Danielle Steele. I once talked to Norm Cowie and he told me to be successful writing comedy I needed a hawaiian shirt, but I'm a middle-class American so I can't afford Goodwill.

Status
Not open for further replies.