Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Pub svcs] Original Writing Ltd.

The cake is a lie. But still cake. shaldna's Avatar

[Pub svcs] Original Writing Ltd.

Someone sent me a link to these folks asking if they were reputable. I had never heard of them, so I looked here and didn't find anything.

Original Writing website www.originalwriting.ie

They seems to have published a fair number of books, a lot of which look to be decent quality physically. I had a quick look at the website, but there was something which altered me.

On their FAQ page they state:

Instead of a paltry 5 to 15% royalty, you will make 75% royalty on sales.
    Which sounds amazing as this is print.

HOWEVER, it turns out that it's actually

Royalties of 75% of margin on book sales to third parties
    Which is an entirely different thing altogether. This is on a different page to the previous statement.

The site says they've published over 350 authors, and from what I can gather they've been about for 6 or so years.

Anyone have any info/dealings with them?
    TORCHWOOD - where the slash is canon

Yes, I read Twilight. Yes, I hate it. No, I don't have to give you a reason why.

Here be snark : www.clairewriteswords.wordpress.com

Um...this looks like a self-publishing service at first glance. They're selling packages on their home page. Hence the 75% royalty allotment.

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    1000 Euros is... about 1300 US dollars. And they sell a 200 page paperback for $18. Amazon ranks are from unimpressive to nonexistent. I see nothing very attractive there.
    Emily Veinglory

practical experience, FTW MickRooney's Avatar
    Yes, this is a self-publishing provider based in Dublin, Ireland. I reviewed this company about three years ago here, with some minor updates to the review in early 2012. Around the time of the review in 2009, I also carried out an interview with the Sales & Marketing Manager at the time. I don't know whether the guy is still in this position now.

Do bear in mind that the bulk of the pieces written are from 2009 and there is far more choice now for authors looking at self-publishing providers in Ireland. In addition - from the phone-in feedback to an RTE broadcast on self-published authors (December 2011) and as a broad indicator of where OW is in the Irish market - I've also included some figures (my compiled stats) based on the authors who contacted the Joe Duffy Live show in this programme review.

The cake is a lie. But still cake. shaldna's Avatar
    thanks Mick
    TORCHWOOD - where the slash is canon

Yes, I read Twilight. Yes, I hate it. No, I don't have to give you a reason why.

Here be snark : www.clairewriteswords.wordpress.com

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Site's been down for a couple months, and just about everything they published in '15 is now "unavailable".
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: