Santa, the last of the wildmen

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Short story/flash fiction outlines?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Short story/flash fiction outlines?

I'm someone who works best with an outline for longer works, but have been writing short stories/flash pieces 'on the fly'. Keep in mind, these are very short stories, generally around 1000 words. Reading back on them, however, they're a very rough draft and maybe would have been better if I spent the time outlining or even doing a little character exploration first.

So, how do you write your short pieces? Do you outline first or just go with what's in your head?

Not hip enough yet for a blog or tweets.

WIP:
    Lenora's Story (novel, 50,000 + words, thanks Nano!)
    New Chick Lit project formulating in my head now

figuring it all out
    Generally, I don't outline flash fiction. I go on an impression or a character, and see where that leads me. But, I am not necessarily the good example...
    'Life is a game of hide and seek, dripping in karma' - Midnight

The King Who Bore the Sword J.W. Alden's Avatar
    Flash fiction I almost never outline. Short stories I outline sometimes, depending on the story itself. One of the reasons I started writing shorts to begin with was to experiment and play around with different approaches and see what I like best. It's been a complete failure in that regard though, as I seem to like both methods equally (though I've fallen in love with the short form).
    Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads

Read me:

"Möbius" in Nature
    "The Unworthy" in Fantasy Scroll Magazine
    "Child Soldier" in Daily Science Fiction
    "Item Not As Described" in Unidentified Funny Objects 2

Stealing your twiglets. Anninyn's Avatar
    I only ever do sketchy outlines for novels. I never outline flash. Short stories, I jot down the core of the idea and than the 5 questions

It would end up looking like this:

Haunted house in post-apocalyptic world
    - Who: MC = scavenger for small comm.
    - When: Post apocalypse. 60 years post? over a period of three/four days.
    - what: Ghosts of the pre-apoc dead. At least one ghost who died there as result of apoc.
    - Why: Build up of fear and pain - psychic residue. MC trapped in house after staying there for night.
    - How: Standard haunting stuff, doors that lock selves, clock that keeps chiming specific time, bad dreams.

I don't outline flash or short stores, cause I can hold it all in my head. When it gets past the point I can hold it in my head, it always becomes novella or novel size.
    I'm dyslexic. My spelling is inventive. Your correcting my spelling won't help.

No time . . . . One main character, one scene, single plot, one conflict, start as close to the end as possible with as little back story as possible . . . every word counts . . don't waste them . . . done.

Or something like that . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by swachski View Post
    .. you need to get some sensitivity training, man...

Quote Originally Posted by SWest View Post
    *becomes hopelessly enmeshed in the narcissism*

Banned
    I've outlined a couple stories, but that's because they were longer and needed more time to develop; I just wanted to get the gist down. Otherwise, no. The plots are simple enough to keep in my head... although there might be some leakage.

oldie turned newbie squeaky pram's Avatar
    I don't outline for two reasons. One, I never know where the story is going until I've written it. I "write into the dark", as they say. Two, I'm crap at outlines, even in my scholarship. I hate and shun them.

What I do do [insert a ten-year-old tittering: "doo-doo!"] is take inventories at various points in the process. I write down elements that I think may be important or may be blind alleys.... whatever is there at the time. It's just a little-something concrete that I can muse over and refer back to. I suppose that makes me a list-maker. Love them lists!

practical experience, FTW
    I never outline. But you should do what works for you, not what works for me.