Should query reveal ending?

ArtsyAmy

Registered
Reaction score
One of the top-of-my-list agents specifies that when writing a query letter to her, writers should tell what happens and not tease, and that the letter should not be like a book jacket. Another top agent I'm considering says that when sending a query letter, the writer's description of the story should be like a book jacket. I suppose this means that different agents want different things in queries, and the first wants to know what happens at the end of the story, while the second agent does not. Does that sound right?

In my query letter to the first agent (which I haven't yet sent) I included in the body of the letter a short synopsis, which included what happens at the end (managed to keep the letter to one page). Sound like what she's looking for?

Thank you.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, sounds like you get it. I prefer not to be teased. Some editors/agents don't mind. I've heard of editors/agents getting annoyed with having to ask what happens at the end, but never one getting annoyed because the author included a spoiler, so unless you get one like your second agent (who wants the back cover style), I'd err on the side of telling.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of the top-of-my-list agents specifies that when writing a query letter to her, writers should tell what happens and not tease, and that the letter should not be like a book jacket. Another top agent I'm considering says that when sending a query letter, the writer's description of the story should be like a book jacket. I suppose this means that different agents want different things in queries, and the first wants to know what happens at the end of the story, while the second agent does not. Does that sound right?

Yes. This is why researching agents can benefit you in tailoring a query to the agent's specific tastes.

In my query letter to the first agent (which I haven't yet sent) I included in the body of the letter a short synopsis, which included what happens at the end (managed to keep the letter to one page). Sound like what she's looking for?

yes.

Thank you.

In my experience, more agents are of the first group, ie, wanting to know the special bits and not wanting a book-jacket like query, but there are a good number who suggest the book jacket approach. But, the key is that neither group are going to auto-reject for receiving a query of the other form, if it is well-written and otherwise sparks their interest. But if you know their preference, go ahead and tailor the query.

~suki

Scribble Orca

Cetacean Skin
Registered
Reaction score
ArtsyAmy,

always do what the agent asks. It's time-consuming to tailor, but that is what will make the agent sit up and take notice of you.

One agent will ask for a synopsis (lot of UK agents do this) another will run like hell (a few very popular US agents do this and they state explicitly on their submission guidelines not to send a synopsis - do not even use the word as a substitute for blurb or query - personal experience :D).

Just do exactly as she asks - they usually specify a couple of paragraphs for you to explain. If s/he doesn't want jacket copy, just summarise your hard work in a couple of lines. If the other wants jacket copy, do it.

Oh, and best of luck! :D

ArtsyAmy

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. How nice to be able to hop on here this morning and find my question answered! You all are great. Rep points for all!

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
I find that most agents want a middle ground. They don't want to be told the ending, or even twists that happen late in the book, because they want to read the book as a reader might and let it surprise them. In that aspect, they want it to be like the back blurb on a book cover.

However, the difference is that those blurbs can get away with being vague or generic. "Her next discovery will rock her world to the core/change her thoughts of X forever/etc." Queries have to avoid those kinds of meaningless statements. Agents need specifics to be able to properly judge whether they want to read more--whether the book stands out from the herd.

So unless an agent specifies, I'd use the structure of a back blurb, but with more specifics.

I've never encountered agents who do want to be "spoiled" in a query letter, TBH--if they want to know the ending, they'll usually ask for a synopsis, which always includes the ending. If I were you, I'd double-check that the first agent really wants the ending, and wasn't just cautioning against vague queries like the example above. If she's clear about that, then yes, absolutely give her what she wants, but I have to say it's unusual.

Last edited:

GiantRampagingPencil

That new author smell . . .
Registered
Reaction score
If an agent wants a synopsis in addition to a query, wouldn't putting spoilers in the query be redundant?

ArtsyAmy

Registered
Reaction score
This agent doesn't ask for a synopsis with the query--just the first 10 pages. But her website indicates that they need to know what happens, don't tease, don't make it like a book jacket. I'm not sure if "what happens" includes" the ending.

Corinne has given me more to think about. Thanks! I don't suppose calling the agency for clarification would be a good idea. Anyone think differently? I'd rather not write "spoiler alert" before I reveal the ending in the query, but I'm not sure what else to do. I've looked at many sample queries, but I haven't seen one in which the ending is revealed, as far as I remember. But, again, I suppose different agencies want different things.

Any more thoughts?

ArtsyAmy

Registered
Reaction score
(accidentally posted same post twice)

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
This agent doesn't ask for a synopsis with the query--just the first 10 pages. But her website indicates that they need to know what happens, don't tease, don't make it like a book jacket. I'm not sure if "what happens" includes" the ending.

Corinne has given me more to think about. Thanks! I don't suppose calling the agency for clarification would be a good idea. Anyone think differently? I'd rather not write "spoiler alert" before I reveal the ending in the query, but I'm not sure what else to do. I've looked at many sample queries, but I haven't seen one in which the ending is revealed, as far as I remember. But, again, I suppose different agencies want different things.

Any more thoughts?

No, don't call the agency. That's frowned upon. Not having read the submission instructions, I took the above to mean don't try to gimmick the query letter. I've seen people leave the query on a cliff hanger or be too vague in order to get the agent's interest. I think if your query introduces the characters, the plot and shows definite conflict -- basically tells the agent what the story is about that's all you need.

In most cases the ending is presumed. For example if you're writing a romance, the agent is going to assume Jack and Jill are going to get together in the end. If you're writing a mystery, the agent is going to assume the bad guy is going to get caught. If you're writing a sci-fi quest novel, it's assumed that the protagonist will succeed.

Just my thoughts. Good luck!

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
DEFINITELY don't call.

If they don't outright say they want to know the ending, I think you're good with just writing a regular query letter and avoiding vague/teasing statements. Good luck!

Elizabeth Holloway

Pass the sugar
Registered
Reaction score
Just jumping on this thread to echo what Corrine said... First, don't call. That's definitely a no-no. Second, in my opinion, unless the guidelines specifically say to disclose the ending in the query, I wouldn't. Make sure your query is specific and clear, but there is no need to spoil the ending. If they wanted the ending, they would ask for a synopsis.

Happy querying!

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
If they say, "Don't tease," include the ending. Anything else is teasing.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. The agent is interested in finding a story that can be sold, not in being mystified. Leave that to the blurb writer, who is interested in interesting the potential book purchaser.

caw