• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Contest] America's Next Author

htrent

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.holleytrent.com
First, none of us would write if we didn't feel this is what we were called to do. It's a frustrating, hard industry to crack. It can take a long time to make money, even after a story gets published. It's a labor of love and we all know it.

I'm considering using a modified part of my manuscript to join this contest.

Personally, I wouldn't do that, but I'm not entering. I just want to try to explicate some things because contests are a weird monster. See the above post about the rights grab. That's a full YEAR they have to publish and adapt your work to other formats. That's YOUR characters set in YOUR world.

Also, this makes me wary:

...to the extent that any moral rights (for example, the right to attribution and the right to integrity) apply, you waive (and to the extent that these rights may not be waived, agree irrevocably not to assert) your moral rights in your Entry for purposes of this Contest...

No...

Just, no.

If you're going to put your work out there for public consumption hoping to get noticed, it needs to be in a contest you know people are paying attention to and where you'll ALWAYS get attribution, no matter what format it turns up in. You're not a catalog copy writer. You write fiction.

The judges aren't listed. Who are they? Important people? Agents? Editors? The staff of eBookMall?

For comparison, there's this contest for us romance types. I'd post my work to that with no qualms. It's a known entity people pay attention to (for better or worse). I'm certain there are well-regarded competitions for other genres, too.

Just some food for thought.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
Like some of you said above: might be advertising. But either way I find this discussion interesting.

First of all: I write because I have to.

I also write because I think my writing appeals to a larger audience. It is very satisfying to get responses from readers. For me personally the financial aspect is less important and I'm not focused on short stories or selling them to magazines. In all honesty: I'd love one of the big publishers to pick up my writing and I'm considering using a modified part of my manuscript to join this contest. As it seems a different, interesting way to get my name out there.

:welcome: wearywriter!

If your goal is to get readers or noticed by publishers, I urge you to read Writer Beware on Contest and Awards, specifically the portion on Is it worth it.

However, for novelists, poets, and short fiction writers, few of the hundreds of contests out there have that kind of prestige. Winning a contest run by an obscure magazine or a local writers’ group or an Internet contest mill won’t cut any ice with agents, editors, or readers–not just because they probably won’t have heard of the contest, but because they may be aware that small contests are much less likely to have professional judging standards.

captainebook

Registered
Reaction score
captainebook, are you in any way affiliated with this contest or the website/company running it?

lol, no. I posted the original question here because I hadn't heard of the company behind this contest, and was wondering if anyone had worked with them before. That's why I put it in the "Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check" board. I was also excited about a contest that looked interesting.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying, captain. I asked because you joined both AW and Writers-Network and only posted about this contest on both fora, and I'm a world-weary cynic. (In case you didn't know, it's not uncommon for someone to join Absolute Write to post a 'question' about a market and pretend to know nothing about it, as a way of advertising that market. It never ends well!)

Editing to add: the only name I can find behind the contest is Martijn Leenders, the managing director of ebookmall.

Last edited: