Writer-people! Is there any way to stay in New York on the cheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I might be going in mid November for a conference. Still considering the gutters. (-:

The cheapest hotel rate I was given was $139...and that was in Newark. I'd prefer to stay in New York...and I'm still thinking there must be cheaper hotels. But c'est la vie.

I only stay in hostels when travelling internationally...wouldn't think about doing it in North America.

If anyone knows any cheaper hotels please give a holler. (-: Like Jamie, I don't want to sound snobby either. But---as a traveller, I probably am. /-:

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have much to add except maybe try hotwire.com which offers up hotel rooms that haven't been filled. The closer you book (like the night before) the cheaper the rooms.

In any event, you MUST go! (What an opportunity!!) And don't forget, you can expense *everything* as it's a business trip.

Good luck and tell us all about it when you get back. <g>

EM,
living vicariously (again).

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
I went on a trip to NYC earlier this summer with my mom and sister. Two nights we stayed over in Jersey and on the last night we stayed in Manhatten at this palce called the Menno House. It's a townhouse on 19th street where a group of Mennonites live. They rent out rooms to travellers, and the one me and my family stayed in was really cute and clean. You don't have to be Mennonite to stay there. I really wished we had been able to stay longer, as they have a nice little backyard, a kitchen and fridge you can use, and lots of boardgames in the common room. And it's cheap!

Here's their website:
http://www.mennohouse.org/

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you mentioned it to your agent? It might be that the agency has other writers who live there, who would let you stay for a night or two. It would be much more fun slinging in with other writers. (Just suggesting it because my old agent used to send people to us when we lived OS - and it was always a delight to host them. I met some very famous writers that way - it was a hoot.)

Although I have to say Sai's suggestion sounds lovely...

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I sent her a note, so we'll see what she says. The Menno House looks interesting!

Thanks for your suggestions everyone!

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... get a hotel room in Manhattan right by where you're going to meet and never mind the expense. If you don't have the money, borrow it. You're a real writer now and you need to act like one.

You've got to make a certain impression on editors and whatnot who are booking not only on your writing but on you. You're not going to be able to do that by shacking up in some flea infested, out of the way dive. You're investing in your future and your career. So don't cut corners. Do what you have to do.

The extra hundred dollars you will have to spend will be worth it. And as to shacking up with someone from here, just forget that if someone happens to make an offer. Maybe that might work out okay; maybe it won't? You can't afford to take chances.

This is too important of an opportunity to risk messing up!

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I keep trying to peptalk myself into that attitude, and it would work except that we've just started building a house and I'm nerve-wracked over finances.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... would a few hundred dollars less really make a difference in the long run? I'm sure you can make do with a bit less, by putting something off for awhile. And if things really take off with your career then it won't just be a matter of carpeting or whatnot, but an extra wing you'll be able to build. (Best I can do in way of a peptalk.) Good luck.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
And then, just like that, there's a solution! My husband's cousin, who used to love in New Jersey, has moved to Manhattan and insists I stay with them. Eureka!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
And then, just like that, there's a solution! My husband's cousin, who used to love in New Jersey, has moved to Manhattan and insists I stay with them. Eureka!

Damn fine solution it is, too! Score.

Status
Not open for further replies.