Blogging about the past

asnys

Do Not Fear the Future
Registered
Reaction score
Website
atomic-skies.blogspot.com
Hi, everyone. I'm a recent arrival (signed up here a while back but left my account dormant). I blog at Atomic Skies, focusing on the history of atomic energy and related technologies - mostly 50s and 60s stuff. (One of the great advantages of writing about this is that government documents - with all their juicy pictures - are public domain. :D)

DianeL

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dianelmajor.blogspot.com
asnys, interesting facet of history! My dad spent some time at Oak Ridge, Fermi, Jeffy Labs (the Jefferson National Laboratory) in his day - running across those in your work? :)

Had some thoughts recently on how people like to reassure themselves of their superiority by looking down on looking back. One of the things about people discussing the past is how frequently they do so as if only in the past were we ever stupid.

asnys

Do Not Fear the Future
Registered
Reaction score
Website
asnys, interesting facet of history! My dad spent some time at Oak Ridge, Fermi, Jeffy Labs (the Jefferson National Laboratory) in his day - running across those in your work? :)

I haven't done anything with Fermilab or Jefferson National Lab - I don't understand the physics well enough yet to really write much about the particle accelerators - but Oak Ridge National Laboratory was the home of a bunch of projects I've run into, including the Molten Salt Reactor, a ton of other power reactor programs, and - my personal favorite! - a major share of the Aircraft Nuclear Propulsion Program.

Last edited:

asnys

Do Not Fear the Future
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I finally finished my current project: Rock to Hide Me, about Herman Kahn, civil defense, nuclear strategy, the RAND corporation, and a plan to build 800-foot-deep bomb shelters in every major urban area that would (they hoped) be able to shelter the city's entire population from a direct hit with a 20-megaton nuclear weapon.

DianeL

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dianelmajor.blogspot.com
Flicka, I read it this morning; naturally, especially at that hour, the bit about the chocolate intrigued me most! :)

JVC, I'll follow you when I log into Twitter again.

Last edited:

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
On my blog I write about a variety of things, some of it related to my current project. The other day I did a short piece on writing and scribes in ancient Babylon. The link is in my signature.

Tom from UK

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomwilliamsauthor.co.uk
Since 2010 I have been writing a blog called (like several others) 'Writing About Writing'. I try to blog around once a week. I write about the historical background to my novels which are set in the Far East in the mid-19th century. I also write about the actual business of writing and occasionally about things that have attracted my attention or that particularly interest me. I get between 650 and 1,250 page views per month, which is not a lot, but better than some.

The purpose of the blog is, obviously, to support sales of my books: "The White Rajah" and "Cawnpore". As of the end of February, though, they will be temporarily unavailable, as I'm moving from one publisher to another. This leaves me a bit uncertain as to what to write about. It occurs to me that this will be a really good time for me to invite anybody who can write interesting articles that might be relevant to my potential readers and I'm happy to host them.

The first book that my new publishers are planning to print is "His Majesty's Confidential Agent", which is set largely in South America around the time of the Napoleonic wars, although it does feature the start of the Peninsular War in Spain and the slave revolt in Haiti. I'm therefore very open to anything that relates to these as well.

If anybody thinks that my blog might reach people that they would like to talk to, please have read of the blog (http://thewhiterajah.blogspot.co.uk/)to get an idea what the sort of thing I do and then contact me by messaging me here .

twasadark

Registered
Reaction score
Website
xcpublishing.net
History, writing, travel, mishmash blog - history updates!

Hello all!

I blog over at xuwriter.wordpress.com on a pretty regular basis. I'm working on a historical novel series, and post excerpts regularly, in addition to their somewhat tenuous connection to that day in history.

Also, I just posted an entry about how primary sources influenced my fantasy novel Necropolis: http://xuwriter.wordpress.com/2014/02/09/can-truth-father-fantasy/

kimcooper

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not actively blogging odd Los Angeles true crime tales on 1947project these days, but only because the blog inspired a time-consuming tour company (see this Esotouric blog post on Sister Aimee Semple McPherson's lovely, remote castle) and fiction career.

As a guest on Shots Ezine, I recently blogged some time traveling tricks of the trade for writers of historic mysteries. Is anyone else querying Google's Ngram for gems?

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
I haven't blogged much lately, but on the other hand I haven't posted anything here either, so I'm going to mention an old post.

If you've been around here for a while, you might know that I am using a real, though obscure, guy called James Wadsworth in my book. Said Wadsworth wasn't just "a turn-coat and traitor to every faith and religion", but also penned (or rather, translated and added silly and somewhat dirty poetry to) one of the first treatises on chocolate in English. I tried out the recipe based on that book (though I didn't dehydrate the chocolate myself but used cocoa powder which is cheating but also very practical) and blogged about it:

http://theragsoftime.blogspot.se/2014/07/bow-your-hamms-to-chocolate-historical.html

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com

tammay

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! I am so glad that I came upon this post. I've bookmarked as many blogs as I could, as I was looking for blogs on history from writers. This just hit the spot :).

I also just launched my blog this week which some might find interesting. I write historical fiction and historical mysteries mainly set in the San Francisco Bay Area/Northern California during the late 19th/early 20th century. My blog, Mother Time Musings, doesn't primarily focus on history, but much of what I write about is historically-based. I have posts every Tuesday on a historical topic from the time period I mention and also posts about classic films every Friday.

I just put up a post this week for Flicks Friday that discusses the choice between career and family for women in the Bette Davis films All About Eve and The Star: http://tammayauthor.com/index.php/20...-and-the-star/ .

The link to my blog is below in my signature. It also has a page that tells a bit about it. Hope you all enjoy!

Tam