The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: TAG Publishing LLC / The Amarillo Group

TAG Publishing LLC / The Amarillo Group

I found this one while poking around online, and they don't seem to be in the index. So I thought I should add it for completeness. They seem to be selling themselves as something like a book packager:
    TAG Publishing provides all of your book publishing needs whether you have little more than a loose concept of your book or you have a finished manuscript.

We welcome new authors and focus on helping them create a book they will be proud of. With a full staff of writing coaches, and in-house custom graphic design, our books offer premium quality and ongoing support for authors.

They suggest that new authors attend a three-day seminar, which is apparently free for TAG authors, and something like 2k for others. They claim there's no upfront fee to be published.
    They also run the Great American Novel Contest, entry fee $35, which may be the way they choose their fiction titles, aside from one by Dee Burks, the founder of TAG.

Some red flags, including the usual about how long trad publishing takes and how small advances are, throwing around the terms 'bestselling' and 'award-winning' without specifics, that sort of thing. Oh, and they are the middle road between trad and self-publishing, which I think I have heard before.
    Distribution through Ingram, covers are kind of meh.

-Barbara
    will crit for rep points
    "Your commas are pretty good." TNH
    okay, I have a blog

The upfront part caught my eye both with the seminar and production costs:

Author pays nothing upfront
    Then:

We withold a small amount of the royalties... and after that the royalty rate is 50/50
    So they pay something after?

http://www.tagpublishers.com/FAQs_AS2F.html (Fiction section)
    M/M author signing event July 2017, UK: shiMMer
    Author Website: Jack L. Pyke
    Reviews: Goodreads

Hm. I was wondering who the staff are that would help with all the editing and marketing, and the only names given are Dee Burks and Liz Ragland.
    Dee Burks holds an MBA and has a background in corporate leadership and financial services. Liz Ragland holds an environment science degree and has previous experience in government work as well as entrepreneurial experience. Both have been in publishing for more than ten years.
    So I did a bit more searching for details on that ten years plus experience and found LifeSuccess Publishing, where they are two of the three named staff, described as Publishing Consultants with ghostwriting experience. LifeSuccess appears to be a ghostwriting service for businesses and entrepeneurs.
    Huh. And LifeSuccess Publishing appears to be an offshoot of LifeSuccess Consultants.
    We can show you how to earn tens of thousands of dollars as a Certified LifeSuccess Consultant
    which sounds more like Amway than anything else, but what do I know?

More complicated than it looked in the first place. Maybe the writing seminars and so on are piggybacking on the consultancy framework?

-Barbara

will crit for rep points
    "Your commas are pretty good." TNH
    okay, I have a blog

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Only activity since '13 is one book published early '15, the sequels of which are self-published. Anyone have recent contact?
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: