Chris Matthews, Condi Rice and bitherism.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
One of the highlights of the GOP convention was the speech by Condi Rice. While being interviewed by Andrea Mitchell afterwards, Chris Matthews had a question.

"Andrea, Andrea, can I ask a question?" Matthews said. "It's Chris Matthews. Could you ask the Secretary — her speech was so overwhelmingly positive — but was it kind of a rejoinder to all the birtherism and the narrowness she's heard in their party?"

Here's a transcrpt of her speech.

I guess he didn't get a shiver up his leg from her speech, but birtherism?

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
Her speech was okay. Every time she said "Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan will/have," I kind of rolled my eyes, though. Yeah, everything she claimed they're going to do probably won't happen.

I didn't get the birther bit.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Mountain out of a molehill. Yeah, it was a bit out-of-left field for him to lead with "birtherism," and he cold have set up his question better (I actually can't stand Matthews or Mitchell), but if one knows what "rejoinder" means, then the question makes sense.

Her response was good, given the dumb question.

Last edited:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i'm surprised he had time to construct a question amid all his badassery.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...c-fight-republican-national-convention-367147

Matthews was hosting a show at a makeshift outdoor stage near the Tampa Bay Times Forum after Mitt Romney accepted the GOP presidential nomination. During a break, two men shouted, "Hey Chris, how's that tingle up your leg?" The comment was a reference to Matthews’ 2008 comment that a Barack Obama speech sent a "thrill up his leg."

According to witnesses, a shoving match ensued.
http://thehill.com/conventions-2012...ws-gets-into-confrontation-with-gop-delegates

Matthews told The Hill in a phone interview that after he left the restaurant, he heard a group of guys “heckling” and “hooting and hollering” at him.

He headed back into the restaurant to mix it up with them. “I wanted to confront them,” Matthews said, describing his exchange with the men as “towel-snapping” among guys.

Matthews said he told the rowdy group, “What’s this, a douchebag convention?”

POPASMOKE

Keep your turns up
Registered
Reaction score
I guess he didn't get a shiver up his leg from her speech, but birtherism?

Matthews is bat shit crazy! And MSLSD wonders why their ratings are always in the toilet.

I quit watching SNL. Now I turn on Matthews when I need a little humor and a WTF moment. I guess he's entertaining to the 30 or 40 viewers who routinely watch him.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Yeah, we have to remember what "rejoinder" means, like Opty says. Clearly, Matthews was suggesting that Rice's speech was pushing back against birtherism and he was asking if that was deliberate on her part. Which is an awkward and round about way, I suppose of putting her on the spot of saying definitively what she thinks about birtherism. He does that a lot -- try to make Republicans take a public stand on that. I haven't read her speech because I really just can't with all that RNC hoopla, so I don't know if there was any point in him bringing it up just then. Knowing Matthews, there probably wasn't just at that moment, but still, he wasn't accusing her of anything.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Chris Matthews is one of the worst things about MSNBC. He's loud, obnoxious, a smart-ass and the longer he speaks the stupider he sounds.

Why MSNBC allows him anywhere near a "news" event is a mystery. He's an embarrassment and when he and Keith Olbermann (who?) were anchoring together it was a total train wreck.

One down. One to go.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
If MSNBC would get rid of Matthews, Sharpton, Bashir, Andrea Mitchell, and Ed Schultz, it'd be a lot more tolerable.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
Chris Matthews is in danger of becoming a caricature of himself. His coarseness may irritate and grate, but his wit and ability to challenge and demand accountability from politicians talking point rhetoric is not only admirable, but unique when you consider how Newt Gingrich could brow beat someone like John King for asking a legitimate family values question during the debates..

Matthews would have chewed Gingrich up and spit him out....

John King was made to look foolish... That's a shame because politicians as we've seen over the RNC will lie, and misrepresent the truth. We need folks like Matthews obnoxious as he may be....

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I agree with Don, even though maybe 60+% of the times I tune into Matthews, I tune right back out again just because he grates on my brain. I wish we could partner him with a calmer, more coherent person who might occasionally yank him back on track or let him know when he's saying something that's just stupid, like when he momentarily forgets his basic English comprehension.

But the fact is he's one the few remaining voices in the media who even seems to care if people are speaking blatant lies to the public. That matters. It really does.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
I agree with Don, even though maybe 60+% of the times I tune into Matthews, I tune right back out again just because he grates on my brain. I wish we could partner him with a calmer, more coherent person who might occasionally yank him back on track or let him know when he's saying something that's just stupid, like when he momentarily forgets his basic English comprehension.

But the fact is he's one the few remaining voices in the media who even seems to care if people are speaking blatant lies to the public. That matters. It really does.

It does matter, but Rachel Maddow is much better at pointing it out. She's sharper, more coherent and more merciless in statements and questions. And she gives people space and time to speak their pieces so those who are telling the truth can do so and those who are lying hand her enough rope.

Matthews drives me nuts because he comes across as a ranting goof sometimes and he yells over people. He comes across as just another loud voice.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Rachel Maddow and Chris Hayes are by far the two best people on that network. They're the two who should be at the forefront of MSNBC. Most of the rest need to be cast off like dead weight.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rachel Maddow and Chris Hayes are by far the two best people on that network. They're the two who should be at the forefront of MSNBC. Most of the rest need to be cast off like dead weight.

Hey, hey, hey...show a little love for Melissa Harris-Perry. :LilLove:

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Completely irrelevant post warning.

I'm watching the movie Dave. From 1993.

There was just a cameo on there featuring The McLaughlin Group and as I was watching it I realized that was Chris Matthews on there.

I guess he used to do that show.

Just saw that and I thought I'd mention it. Carry on.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Hey, hey, hey...show a little love for Melissa Harris-Perry. :LilLove:

She's sharp but doesn't have her delivery down yet. Her presentation comes across as a bit stale and clumsy sometimes but I'm hoping she'll continue to improve with the practice her weekend show provides. For now, though, when it comes to the natural delivery and comfort in front of the camera that Maddow and Hayes have, she's not close to being there yet.

Besides, my love forever belongs to Alex Wagner and Tamron Hall. :LilLove: