How much information to give *other* agents...

Katana

On the edge...
Registered
Reaction score
After a search, I didn't come across this information, so please forgive me if it's been discussed recently. There were so many hits that I just couldn't read all the posts. I'm not faced with this scenario, as I haven't started querying, but I'd like to be prepared, just in case.

If you get an offer of representation, but your manuscript is with other agents as well, are you supposed to let those agents know who that offer comes from, or just let them know that you have an offer?

And if you don't give the name of the agent who has offered represention, how do the others know you're not bluffing?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It's entirely up to you how much information you give.

Some agents (most agents?) will ask you who has offered, because they'll want to know who the competition is and how serious your offer is, and because if it's some scammy, scummy agent they'll warn you against them.

I see no problem in telling them who has offered.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
None, would be my recommendation. Let them consider the manuscript on its merits.

My wife runs a local retail toy store, and has done so successfully for nearly 20 years. Every now and then she gets a customer who says "WalMart is selling this for $1 less than you are." To which her reply inevitably is "Drive over to WalMart and buy it."

caw

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
FWIW, when I got my offer only very few of the agents I contacted asked who it was, and some only asked after they read and passed on the MS. It's entirely up to the agent whether they ask, and I see no reason not to tell them.

MandyHubbard

Once Upon a Time....
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MandyHubbard.com
FWIW, when I got my offer only very few of the agents I contacted asked who it was, and some only asked after they read and passed on the MS. It's entirely up to the agent whether they ask, and I see no reason not to tell them.

We talked about this in a google group with 50 agents, and some did say they asked, but the majority of us said we don't ask. To the original poster, we certainly don't expect you to tell us upfront who it is, but you can if you want, I suppose.

Katana

On the edge...
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, everyone, for all your answers. I don't have a problem telling an agent who their competition is, but I just was wondering if there was a protocol to follow. And it's good to know that they might warn you against a questionable agent, as Old Hack mentioned.