Which Hiliary Mantel Novel Should I Read Next?

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
So, I just devoured Bring Up The Bodies in a matter of days, and I don't know which of her books to tackle next. Recs?

Any recommendations of other authors would be great too. :)

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
If you like her historical novels, try A Place of Greater Safety - the story of the French revolution with Danton, Desmoulins and Robespierre as the principal characters.

I've set myself the task of reading Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies before the just-announced BBC's dramatisation is shown at the end of next year. Add Beyond Black and I'll make 2013 Hilary Mantel year.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
If you like her historical novels, try A Place of Greater Safety - the story of the French revolution with Danton, Desmoulins and Robespierre as the principal characters.

I've set myself the task of reading Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies before the just-announced BBC's dramatisation is shown at the end of next year. Add Beyond Black and I'll make 2013 Hilary Mantel year.

Thanks. :D

sohalt

Registered
Reaction score
Website
notsosilentsister.tumblr.com
Another vote for A Place of Greater Safety. Such an awesome book. Danton, Robespierre and Camille may be a bit harder to root for than Mantel's Cromwell (Mantel doesn't gloss over their complicity in the reign of terror, the September murders, the destruction of the Girondists), but Mantel can make their inevitable demise still absolutely heart-wrenching.

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net

Thank you for the recommendation. I plan to make this a Hilary Mantel year, too. I was so sad when Wolf Hall ended, same thing with Bring Up The Bodies. I shall start reading all her earlier works once I'm done editing my ms.

Robin Passaic

Registered
Reaction score
If you enjoy the Tudor period, I recommend the Mathew Shardlake mysteries by C.J. Sansom. Probably best to start with the first, Dissolution, though the addition of a new character in the second, Darkfire, adds some more bite to the series.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score

Well, I haven't started yet, but soon I hope... I was given A Change of Climate (one of her earlier novels, a contemporary) and Giving Up the Ghosts as birthday and Christmas presents by a friend of mine who is a huge Mantel fan - the one who insisted I read A Place of Greater Safety ten years ago.

Demeter

Dreaming North. Remembering Maine
Registered
Reaction score
I loved The Giant O'Brien. I went from Mantel to Jane Gardam and her trilogy, beginning with Old Filth. All three are wonderfully interwoven and
full of surprising twists and connections.

stealingvowels

They're stealing our vowels!
Registered
Reaction score
A Place of Greater Safety! You will come to adore Robespierre a lot. Although I am extremely critical of a certain plotline at the end of the book involving Élisabeth Le Bas and Saint-Just. Just know it's not rooted in history... at all...

Her latest short story collection, The Assassination of Margaret Thatcher, was also incredible.