Space Marine and Dragonwrangler Bar & Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Happy SAD day.

But why the hell did we decide to pair mass rose giving with February. These aren't greenhouse plants afaik. This is a holiday that originated in Europe, no??

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Two, count 'em TWO, audio dramas have received final polish, my producer has signed off on them, and they should be going live in the next few days! That includes the one with Ace as a wicked demon, heh heh heh.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Happy I'm-Going-To-Buy-Myself-A-Chocolate-Heart-Shaped-Doughnut-From-Dunkin-Doughnuts-Day!

My luck, there'll be none left.

Ahem. Himself says to tell you that he is also waiting for the marked down chocolates. Not for any romantic reason - just because...:D
I'm hoping there'll be some Godiva box sets left at work. :D

Aww. How cute.

ION: I'm never booking a flight for my father ever again. We get through the entire process, receive the confirmation, then he tells me "Oh shit! I gave you the wrong return date." :e2smack:

Needless to say, I had to call to get it fixed.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
This is a holiday that originated in Europe, no??

Yes. And don't blame the whole of Europe for this - I'm sure you can pin this one on either the French or Italians. They are the ones who go overboard on romantic gestures. And I'm gonna stop there, before I get yelled at for stereotyping. :D

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. And don't blame the whole of Europe for this - I'm sure you can pin this one on either the French or Italians. They are the ones who go overboard on romantic gestures. And I'm gonna stop there, before I get yelled at for stereotyping. :D
Italians, this one. Valentine was a Roman saint.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
The drive-by crepe comment reminded me of something, apropos of nothing. Supposedly there is a restaurant in Athens, OH, right next door to part of the Ohio University campus, that is a sort of pancake buffet. According to what I've been told, when you go in, you place your order and are delivered X number of pancakes, absolutely plain. Then you take your plain pancakes to this MONSTER buffet that is solely things that can be put on a pancake: any topping, you can think of, fruit, syrup, peanut butter, chocolate chips, various savories, you name it.

I just love this idea. It actually ended up in my idea notebook. The next time I go to Athens (it's been several years since my last visit), I'm going to go there and try it out.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
This sounds like a really good day. Pls to be expounding upon this thought.

There's a pit in my twitter feed.

Pic. I meant pic. As in "picture". In ym twitter.

*My

Anyway, I was so tired this morning that, when I got to the Best Coffee Place in the World, I spaced out and ordered a crepe instead of a coffee.

It was fantastic.

*They were fantastic. There were three. Covered in blueberries and raspberries (not for you).

Still tired.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Jallenecs, by the way, people celebrating St. Valentine's doesn't bothers me as much as Americans celebrating St. Patrick's, it feels so disrespectful about the Irish diaspora and frankly somewhat racist.

Andelana

Secret Stick-Figure Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Dear mods: can we please slightly change the room name? Maybe just add a space? Cause... I hate to repeat myself, but 'dragonwang'. :)

Andelana

Registered
Reaction score
Two, count 'em TWO, audio dramas have received final polish, my producer has signed off on them, and they should be going live in the next few days! That includes the one with Ace as a wicked demon, heh heh heh.

Woohoo! Well done, Junely. :) Can't wait to have a listen!

Jallenecs, by the way, people celebrating St. Valentine's doesn't bothers me as much as Americans celebrating St. Patrick's, it feels so disrespectful about the Irish diaspora and frankly somewhat racist.

To be fair, most of the Americans who 'celebrate' St Pat's day are of Irish descent. Many Irish-Americans are only 2-3 generations removed from Ireland and the American accent is almost identical to an Ulster accent. And I sometimes have to listen to people from Dublin for a few minutes (being an American living in England, and so used to both accents) before I realise they're Irish and not American. :) It's usually the 'U' and the 'R' that give them away.

(I am pretty good with accents, by the way. I'm the one usually called in to translate for the English people in my department who can't understand a heavy Chinese or Japanese accent...)

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
@Ande - himself asks me to ask how your adventure in trunking went.

I celebrate St Patrick's Day and the last person from my family who actually lived there left in 1860. Being Irish is a state of mind (and as I'm vagually qualified to say this - a state of intoxication)

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
I celebrate St. Patricks' day, kind of. I have no real connection to Ireland (outside of finding the accent sexy), but for as long as I can remember most people I know just use it as a convenient excuse to get utterly wasted.

And I'm all in favour of getting drunk off your arse. So when I can, I join the festivities.

Andelana

Registered
Reaction score
@Ande - himself asks me to ask how your adventure in trunking went.

Well, I added trunking around the exposed (not bare, but as in 'not inside the wall') electric cable that the floor guys yanked off the wall (it looks pretty good!) and I measured and attempted to cut the stuff to go around the door for the network cable, but my hacksaw blade was too dull. Forgot I'd dulled it cutting a mop in half. So, it's measured and marked and ready to go after I get a new hacksaw blade. :) I even have shiny cornery bits. :D

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score

Do you mean that you find Americans celebrating the day disrespectful, or is it the way in which many Americans celebrate it that bothers you? Is it only the Americans of non-Irish descent celebrating it that bothers you?

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
stainedglassinthenight.wordpress.com
Happy Valentine's Day, Cantina peoples.

catndogluvbirds.jpg

Andelana

Registered
Reaction score
Happy Valentine's Day, Cantina peoples.

catndogluvbirds.jpg

I :heart: forbidden interspecies luvs!

(Aaaand... this is probably much funnier and less disturbing [maybe... hmm] if you're a member of Kitteh Pr0n Internationale, which is a Facebook group run by a dear friend who often looks after my kitties when I go away!) ETA: It's a group where we share pictures of our various animals and any pictures we fancy off the net, usually from Cute Overload or I can Has Cheezburger. It's clean, I promise! There're even many instances of the Darwin-given privacy tail!

Last edited:

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
My husband's family is Irish on both sides for eight generations (hard to do in America, where blending seems to be the order of the day), but we're not Catholic, so we don't take the St. Patrick's Day thing too seriously.

I think the way many Americans celebrate St. Patricks -- as an excuse to get dangerously intoxicated and do incredibly stupid shit -- is ridiculous and disrespectful. But not surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.