Space Marine and Dragonwrangler Bar & Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, heights ? Fun! I was surprised to discover that I'm 5'6" at the doc a while back, since the last time I was measured I was only 5'4.5". I guess I grew sometime between 17 and my late twenties.

My siblings range from my sister, 5' even, and one of my brothers, who is 6'3". We're a weird-looking lot standing together. (I wish this was only because of our height differences.)

I should be 5'11. I am actually 5' 7.5 and the shortest member of my family. (Or was. My mom has shrunk.)

(I am 5' 11 from fingertip to fingertip, which should equal my height. Alas.)

I now have to have hubby measure me fingertip to fingertip when he gets home because I find this fascinating. :D

Really? I thought the average height for (American) men was 5'9 and for women was 5'4.

ETA: Just under 5'8 for men, and 5'4 for women.

That's around what I thought.

My numbers are out of date? Great, I'm even more freakish than I thought! ;)

Not freakish. :p Lots of people would like to be taller.

Yup, on average, your wingspan should equal your height. Mine does not.

It's not generally an issue. But I would have preferred being taller.

As it is, all long sleeves are too short of me anyway, except when fashion styles make 'em too long for everyone else. It's annoying. Especially in winter.

This makes me even more curious because I have this sleeves issue. Then again, I'm known for shrinking things so it might just be that.

Blueberry is safely home and preening.

I thought the vet was going to look at the slides, then send them out for confirmation. She's just sending them out. More waiting.

Hope you get an answer soon. :Hug2:

My brain may be melting. So do be mindful of puddles in the Cantina.

I haven't been in the dong garden of late, but you should probably avoid puddles out there, too.

:scared:

Morning all :)

On height - I am five foot. Washboard chest applies here, and I can fit into clothes from the kids section sometimes.

*petite fistbump*

If I d'awww'd at you two, would you hurt me? Yes? Okay, then. Moving right along...

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score

... :Hug2:

Unfortunately I'd look like a gorilla if I stopped. I'm sure everyone wanted to know that.

I stopped in 2009 and... Under my pants, I do look like a gorilla. :D

And I go to the beach to tan outdoors all summer. In a ridiculously revealing Canadian flag bikini and my visibly muscular bod. I believe very strongly in pissing off anyone who believes it's a woman's duty to try to look as much like a supermodel as she can (well, that and I just enjoy tanning).

I have been thinking about this, and... if the homophobes don't latch on to the fact that a bunch of my characters are gay, then the racists are gonna be all over the fact that I have colored characters in roles filled traditionally by white, blond-haired, lantern-jawed heroes. It is discouraging to think that there are some people who will be reading merely to rip things apart and point out all the things which aren't "right", but that doesn't mean we should pander to an audience - if anything, becoming more determined to subvert opinion is a way to go.

QFT, QFT, and QFFingT!!!

In short, if you don't know something from first hand, you do your research and that includes asking people if possible. I've found that for the most part people appreciate it if you make efforts to get these things right and don't just fall back on stereotypes.

Amen. To. That.

Woooord waaaars in the chatrooooooom!

Can't install IRC programs on library computahhhhh! I miss chat so much. But I know I'd never leave the library or get any work done if I fired my own netbook up and signed into chat...

Which probably makes me sound like more of a prick than I intended it to, but whatever. It's just fun to wind up ignorant people and watch them explode.

Not prickish at all. Ignorant people deserve to be wound up all the time and never get to relax. It's one of many reasons not being ignorant is worth the work.

So create a character, not a "person of group b", and add detail to that character like you would to any other part of writing - via research and asking questions.

Also QFT.
I think the Evil Laughter Generator is on the fritz.

"Ve haf vays off making you talk!"

Whoops. Wrong Fritz.

"Zere is nothing wrong mit ze generator."

... :roll:

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I would have sent you some, but I don't think it would have been too fresh by the time it got to you.

Also, because I was an idiot and utterly forgot to: Happy Birthday! For two days ago... I'm sorry...

Thanks, but don't worry, I could barely celebrated it at all.

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
*over-dramatically lip-syncs to 'Music of the Night'*
*sighs* You know, I've probably said it a million times before but I really bloody wish I could sing.

If I d'awww'd at you two, would you hurt me? Yes? Okay, then. Moving right along...
At least you didn't make a joke about the Lollypop Guild like I was thinking a.bout doing.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Holycrap, folks are talking about height and didn't include me?!

I'm a tiny 5-foot-nothing. My dad is 5'4", my mother was maybe 5'2". Dad says they turned him away from the police academy when he was my age because they had a minimum height of 5'8", but I find that hard to believe because the CF took him in reserves right after that.

Back in 2007 I met a whackload of extended family members I hadn't seen before, including one of my father's uncles who is a good eight inches shorter than me. And he didn't shrink with old age, he was always that short.

I haven't heard from my mother's side of the family in years, but I remember my paternal grandparents very well. Pop was at least a good 6'4", and not lacking in muscle by any stretch of the imagination, but he was the gentlest, most softhearted SOB you've ever met. Nan was 4'10", but when she yelled, you trembled, and according to my dad she used to throw her shoe with a force professional pitchers can only envy if you tried to walk away while being scolded.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was once a submariner, and my nickname on board - for obvious reasons - was 'Headbanger'.

Ouch.

Though, interestingly enough, having been onboard both a nuclear submarine and two WWII era subs (one ours, one not), I swear the older subs actually had more headroom.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Granted, a woman my height wouldn't be able to take down a 200 lbs+ guy on her own

Says you! When I was in grade 2, I broke the nose of a kid in grade 5 who had been picking on me for ages (oh man, I got in so much trouble, more than anything else I ever did). Size ain't everything.

Watch out, Marlin, this one has quite an appetite. :D

Really? I thought the average height for (American) men was 5'9 and for women was 5'4.

ETA: Just under 5'8 for men, and 5'4 for women.

Oh good. I read Junely's numbers and was like, ":Wha:?? I'm 8 inches shorter than average?!"

There's some kind of organization that advocates for the rights of people with "idiopathic short stature" (shortness not caused by dwarfism or disease) in the U.S. Their maximum height for women to be considered short is 5'3".

It's not a compliment, and it's normally heard in highschool. Ironing board, or any other type of board will fit here too.

Means I don't have a lot going on on my chest :p

Waitaminute... How is it that at the same height as you, I'm a size 34D? And that based on how my bras fit, I'm beginning to consider moving up a cup size?

Totally not bragging, I am complaining. 'Cause my bras do too much work to last me more than 8 months of use and doing anything without one (even washign dishes or writing by hand) is painful.

Because you just love Maple Syrup too much to leave?

... :roll:

Cold winters are part of being Canadian. :D

They are the only downside.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Is starting a novel with a presidential assassination and then jumping back two years before too cliché?

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
Hi folks :) about to start backreading. Library closes in an hour and a half but I might leave sooner for some extra time on the treadmill.

I would like to point out that it has been -20 all day and will get steadily colder overnight. I nearly froze waiting 40min for the bus. Why do I continue to live in Canada, guys?

Because you adore Halifax, and would put down roots and grow leaves there if you could?

:)

Oh, you go right ahead. lol.

*sharpens shivs fashioned from wolverine bones*

Go. Right. Ahead.

^this

Waitaminute... How is it that at the same height as you, I'm a size 34D? And that based on how my bras fit, I'm beginning to consider moving up a cup size?

Totally not bragging, I am complaining. 'Cause my bras do too much work to last me more than 8 months of use and doing anything without one (even washign dishes or writing by hand) is painful.

Genetics. I'm an 8/10A cup (they really need a 9) at best, and could probably go without if I chose, but I don't like how it looks.

A friend of mine, who is 35 and has a five year old, assures me that the easiest way to fix this is having children and breast feeding, but that seems a little extreme to me XD

Lhipenwhe

Moving with my soul, step by step
Registered
Reaction score
5'6. I'm the tallest member on my father's side of the family, and the second tallest on my mother's side. Being Asian and Jewish, that makes me something of a giant. I pray to god my hypothetical children are taller than me.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Genetics. I'm an 8/10A cup (they really need a 9) at best, and could probably go without if I chose, but I don't like how it looks.

A friend of mine, who is 35 and has a five year old, assures me that the easiest way to fix this is having children and breast feeding, but that seems a little extreme to me XD

That isn't always true. My bust size hasn't changed much since havng children and I'm small like you. :)

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Not freakish. :p Lots of people would like to be taller.

You spend your entire life -- and I mean first grade onwards -- being treated like a great, lumbering, clumsy oaf, and see how well you like it.

Okay, breast size does NOT suck for tall girls. I'm a 40D (used to be DD). I am bodacious, babe!

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
That isn't always true. My bust size hasn't changed much since havng children and I'm small like you. :)

Yeah, I think that it only changes during the child-nurturing. Afterwards, the ladies return to their regularly-schedule programming, unless there is a residual change in all-over weight.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
You spend your entire life -- and I mean first grade onwards -- being treated like a great, lumbering, clumsy oaf, and see how well you like it.

I have spent my entire life not being visible over the bakery counter. Which is awesome when you want to graffiti the bakery counter. Otherwise, not so much.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I have spent my entire life not being visible over the bakery counter. Which is awesome when you want to graffiti the bakery counter. Otherwise, not so much.

Okay, there are upsides. I can change my own light bulbs. I don't have to contend with what Big Sis has to, with her feet not touching the ground if she sits all the way back on the sofa. And I can be hellishly intimidating when I need to be. My mother has always insisted that I have excellent posture (at least until the arthritis started destroying my back), so I had great stage presence.

On the other hand, just from a purely physical standpoint, there are downsides. I have always sworn that, if I ever paid to have a house of my own built, I was going to have all the counters, kitchen appliances and tables built with about a two inch boost upwards. It sucks to have to bend over to do the dishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.