Space Marine and Dragonwrangler Bar & Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
I thought watching these programs about iconic science fiction authors would help inspire me... instead it's just made me feel dumb and inferior. :(

Why do I insist on doing things that put me in bad moods? I suck...

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
WARNING: Mean, Judgmental Kricket Incoming.

Dude, there is nothing mean about wishing people would not half-ass important things like parenting. Seriously. You want to know how many times this week I've restrained myself from being judgmental over less?

The native community I'm going to appears in no map...

Should I be worried?

Yes. Especially if you see any dudes in trenchcoats. :eek:

Over 1000 km of traffic jams in the Netherlands. Not bad for a country that's like 300 km top to bottom :D

... *head asplodes*

Girl's are, generally, faster than boys at this, from what I've heard.

Is that because we don't have to aim?

woke up to cats lying on me.

Am I weird thinking that that sounds like the beginning of a nightmare?

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
I'm breaking my self-ban. No I didn't write. At least not yet. I have to workout first. The other part of my new years resolution.

It suddenly occurs to me, and I don't know why it didn't before (or maybe it did and it's only now re-occurring to me):

KITT's back and forth light was pretty much the same as the Cylons, wasn't it?

So does this mean that the company that made KITT eventually made Cylons? Or made KITT from Cylons (all depending on how timelines go and which timeline at that).

:idea:

I'll leave you all to ponder that while I head in to work.

:D

I'll save you and BW the trouble of research. Glen Larson, who created Battlestar Galactica, also created Knight Rider. The resemblance of KITT's scanner to the Cylons' eyes is no coincidence. Glen borrowed the design and sound effect.

I know this because I'm a total Knight Rider dork.

And now I'm leaving, before I get too distracted.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Gais, does anyone else think that if the cabbage in LadyV's avatar trips up, it's going to chop itself in half? :D

Elf and Safety: always point a hatchet blade away from you.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
I thought watching these programs about iconic science fiction authors would help inspire me... instead it's just made me feel dumb and inferior. :(

Oi oi waitaminute. First of all, you had no way of knowing for sure it was gonna put you in a bad mood. Second, don't let that stop you from having a life. When something puts you in a bad mood, especially when you have as clear an idea of why as you currently do, here is one way to do things:

1) Hit back. As in, "Oh, so I don't have an IQ of 250? Well I don't need one, because I havve X, Y and Z other skills/virtues/whatever that this person did not posses. Huzzah!" or something like that.
2) Now go do something that puts you in a good mood.
3) Repeat as necessary.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Dude, there is nothing mean about wishing people would not half-ass important things like parenting. Seriously. You want to know how many times this week I've restrained myself from being judgmental over less?

Is that because we don't have to aim?

Well I don't consider my self the perfect parent by any means, so I try not to judge too much. But sometimes I can't help it.

And no, you teach boys to pee sitting down first. It's mostly a communications thing. Girls tend to learn how to talk and are better at it before boys are. Being able to communicate is crucial for potty training.

And atm, I'm dealing with a smart little boy who can communicate with me, but just refuses too. That and it doesn't seem to bother him to walk around in wet underwear and pants. *sigh*

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
It still makes my brain go a little :Wha: when I watch the movie version of the musical 1776, since KITT was voiced by William Daniels, who plays John Adams in the movie..

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
And atm, I'm dealing with a smart little boy who can communicate with me, but just refuses too.

The best way to get children to talk is to withhold things. "You want fed? Then ask for food - no pointing." He'll get the message quickly enough. :D

Food really does seem to be the way through most problems with children...

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
Happy release day, Tifferbugs! :)

*leaves trail of flaming smibbles to cantina*

Today:

I wrote

I wrote my daily poem

I wrote a blog post about my daily poem

but about the writing - it was so hard to sit there for two hours and write. I did come up for a nanosecond on Twitter. I need to do something about this internet and netflix addiction.

I also drank a whole (3 cup) pot of regular coffee. OOps. :(

Here's hoping I sleep.

Thanks, Bettie! And yay for writing. I hope you slept.

Yay for the new covers.

Smexy men are also a good thing.

Saw les mis today. Was appropriately blown away. It was the first time I'd come into contact with the material, and I must say, Hathaway was aaaaaamazing. I would have paid price of admission just for her 'I dream a dream' scene. Wow.

Thanks! And I really want to see that movie.

Count me impressed.

ETA: 8 inches of snow in The Hague. Count me twice as impressed.

Bloomberg story

Wowzers.

Wow... I don't visit for a few days and the Cantina goes crazy(er).

Congrats to Tifferz, 10, and anyone else who I may have missed when I backread. Awesome news!

And thanks for the Captain Mal, Cobra Misfit. Always appreciated.

Thanks!

Hey guys! After a long absence, I'm happy to announce: I have returned. :D

Welcome back!

Thanks! I've missed you guys.

Wow, super big congrats to CAM, 10s and Tiffer. Awesome to see so much success!

Thank you!

And atm, I'm dealing with a smart little boy who can communicate with me, but just refuses too. That and it doesn't seem to bother him to walk around in wet underwear and pants. *sigh*

*hugs*

I'm sure you will get through this soon. Good luck!

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Oi oi waitaminute. First of all, you had no way of knowing for sure it was gonna put you in a bad mood. Second, don't let that stop you from having a life. When something puts you in a bad mood, especially when you have as clear an idea of why as you currently do, here is one way to do things:

1) Hit back. As in, "Oh, so I don't have an IQ of 250? Well I don't need one, because I havve X, Y and Z other skills/virtues/whatever that this person did not posses. Huzzah!" or something like that.
2) Now go do something that puts you in a good mood.
3) Repeat as necessary.
When "this person" is, as is the case with me, in fact a collection of some of the most well-regarded science fiction authors in history, it becomes a little bit tricky to think of things I can bring to the sci-fi table that they can't.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
When "this person" is, as is the case with me, in fact a collection of some of the most well-regarded science fiction authors in history, it becomes a little bit tricky to think of things I can bring to the sci-fi table that they can't.

In the case of Clarke, Asimov, Heinlein and whoever... You have a pulse.

*waits for complaints about bad taste posts*

Really, the fact that we are in an age when science fact is fast replacing science fiction, bringing advances which would have been thought of in purely fantasy terms (nobody could have predicted that humanity would actually come up with a way to prove quantum entanglement in a laboratory setting), then you already have an edge on classic SF. Those were written for an audience of their contemporaries, and as the years roll on, the ideas within some classic novels slowly become outdated. It isn't a big deal for some of the psychologically-motivated novels, but for the science of even the hardest of hard SF, the creep of time places them in an alternate future.

Think of everything which has been invented in the last decade. Consider all of the things which are just around the corner. We are sitting in a really interesting period of history, where cutting edge sinks to yesterdays news faster than many authors would have expected. There are plots to novels written as late as the 1990s which could have their plots rendered nonsensical if current (2013) science was brought to the table. There is a lot you can bring to SF if you don't think too hard about living up to some kind of ideal.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Raventongue, as long he's not of The Observers in Fringe, you're fine... I guess. Unless he's one of the Agents in The Matrix. Mmm...

And Julius Ceasar saw the statue of Alexander in Hispania and wept, feeling he would be never so memorable as Alexander was.

Ceasar was not Alexander and Borges wasn't Chesterton and Gaiman wasn't Borges and so on. Shine not by others but by your own light, by your own effort since that greatness is not a birthright nor God-given. It's self-built.

You have to start somewhere. I mean, heck, even Terry Pratchett and Isaac Asimov felt ashamed of their earlier works.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
In the case of Clarke, Asimov, Heinlein and whoever... You have a pulse.

*waits for complaints about bad taste posts*

Actually, I was going to say something similar. At least Angel can react to science as we see it now. For the people you mention this is impossible.

Even though we have had Einstein, we still have physicists. It's probably worse for them.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
By the way, Big Words, I'm watching an Irish reviewer doing an episode-per-episode review of Adam Adamant Lives! Nifty Swinging Sixties extravaganza with some Gay Nineties flavor thrown in.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
You have to start somewhere. I mean, heck, even Terry Pratchett and Isaac Asimov felt ashamed of their earlier works.

There are stories of numerous SF luminaries disowning their early works. Not just the obvious names. There's a gloriously narmy short which Arthur C. Clarke ended on a really cheesy line. Really, there are no reasons for you guys to be intimidated by the reputations of the people who have gone before.

By the way, Big Words, I'm watching an Irish reviewer doing an episode-per-episode review of Adam Adamant Lives! Nifty Swinging Sixties extravaganza with some Gay Nineties flavor thrown in.

I don't think you'll be able to get them in your area, but there are great interviews from magazines of the era - I have found a few which reference the show in glowing terms, though there are others from the 80s and 90s which paint a more hectic and budget-constrained picture of the show. Love that series almost as much as The Avengers. :D

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well I don't consider my self the perfect parent by any means, so I try not to judge too much. But sometimes I can't help it.

And no, you teach boys to pee sitting down first. It's mostly a communications thing. Girls tend to learn how to talk and are better at it before boys are.

Fixed that for ya. :D

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Really, the fact that we are in an age when science fact is fast replacing science fiction, bringing advances which would have been thought of in purely fantasy terms (nobody could have predicted that humanity would actually come up with a way to prove quantum entanglement in a laboratory setting), then you already have an edge on classic SF. Those were written for an audience of their contemporaries, and as the years roll on, the ideas within some classic novels slowly become outdated. It isn't a big deal for some of the psychologically-motivated novels, but for the science of even the hardest of hard SF, the creep of time places them in an alternate future.
See, I instinctively go the other way with this. I'd argue it was better to write science fiction back when we didn't have all the know-how we do today. Because back then there was so much that wasn't known or wasn't possible that you could make up a lot more crap and readers would let it slide because they just didn't know and hey, some day it might be possible.

Nowadays everything's so mapped out and known that writing about science of the future just feels hopelessly quant since we all know how things are going to go. Writing about space travel and intelligent androids and the like just feels tired and predictable now since we're getting so close to it anyway.

Think of everything which has been invented in the last decade. Consider all of the things which are just around the corner. We are sitting in a really interesting period of history, where cutting edge sinks to yesterdays news faster than many authors would have expected. There are plots to novels written as late as the 1990s which could have their plots rendered nonsensical if current (2013) science was brought to the table. There is a lot you can bring to SF if you don't think too hard about living up to some kind of ideal.
And this hits on a fundamental problem of me trying to write science fiction: When it comes to real-world science and technology I'm a clueless fool.

I know that to stop a Z-Neutrino detonation you need to close all Z-Neutrino relay loops using an internalised synchronous back-feed reversal loop, and that you can stop Dalek weapons with a macrotransmission of a K-filter wavelength in a self-replicating energy blindfold matrix.

But when it comes to anything approaching real life science or technology, I'm utterly clueless. Barely even know how my damn phone works, let alone how one might synthesise a human's brain patterns in the head of a realistic android.

I'm just not smart enough, is what I'm saying.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score

This is crap.

You are smart enough to sling sentences together, and that - in essence - is all that matters. If you can convince a reader that, yes, the Q-bomb can disintegrate all matter within a solar system by pressing the Big Red Button, then that is all you need. The technobabble gets in the way of too many good stories, so the use of terms should be (at best) constrained, and (better yet) ignored in favor of laymans terms.

Go watch the early seasons of Star Trek: TNG and see how much they rely on ridiculous dialogue. Those were written with the assistance of some of the smartest scientists they could find. Being smart isn't important when writing. Being entertaining and (hopefully) thought-provoking is much more important.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score

For real? That's your hang up? You don't think your smart enough to write science FICTION? Do you think all those writer's you admire knew what the hell they were talking about when they wrote their stories? Were they all scientist with degrees and stuff?

This is what RESEARCH is for. To learn some things. Figure out how stuff works so that you can put it into a story. You don't have to be an expert on everything. You're writing FICTION, things don't have to be 100% correct, just believable for a reader to understand it.

I'm writing a story about dragons that live in space. Do I know anything about space? Nope. But I've read a lot of articles and watched videos put together by people smarter than me. I take what info I need and then apply that to the story. As a writer that's all you have to do. Take what you learn and apply it to an entertaining story that others will enjoy.

It's not always easy, but if you have the kind of mind that is always coming up with stories and can't go a week without writing those stories down, then you're a writer and this is what writers do.

:Soapbox:

:eek:

:gone:

ETA: And what BW said. :D

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website

Pfff! Arthur C. Clarke was a smart chap.

And this is where I lose my sci-fi card.

Sometimes, he just bores me stupid.

I'd rather have entertaining over smart any day.

Also, we writers have the 'get out clause du jour' thanks to Jim Butcher's Dresden books, it goes like this:

Something mad happens
The science is all wrong, but the magical special effects look nice.
Dresden says "Yeah, I know it's impossible, but it looked nice."

End of argument.

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
This is crap.

You are smart enough to sling sentences together, and that - in essence - is all that matters. If you can convince a reader that, yes, the Q-bomb can disintegrate all matter within a solar system by pressing the Big Red Button, then that is all you need. The technobabble gets in the way of too many good stories, so the use of terms should be (at best) constrained, and (better yet) ignored in favor of laymans terms.
You have yourself a point here. See, this is what happens when someone tries to write science fiction despite rarely, if ever, reading it. I need to find me some science fiction short stories to read.

Go watch the early seasons of Star Trek: TNG and see how much they rely on ridiculous dialogue. Those were written with the assistance of some of the smartest scientists they could find. Being smart isn't important when writing. Being entertaining and (hopefully) thought-provoking is much more important.
Don't even get me started on that or I'll be whining like a broken motor for hours and feeling all the worse for it. The whole 'being thought-provoking' is the other side of this latest inferiority complex. There's not being smart enough (which I now admit is my own low self-esteem on writing-based issues talking) and there's not being profound enough to write anything but cheap nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.