Space Marine and Dragonwrangler Bar & Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
How old is Baby K? I would have thought eating was high on the list of priorities for him. Logan is... ugh. Five months? I forget. All he seems to be interested in is his milk, the rice, and... He gets something else as well. Porridge? IDK.

I should pay more attention.

He is 7 months old. And it didn't take him long to remember he was hungry. :)

Aww, Baby K sounds like a happy baby. :D I get to watch a little 2 yr old girl this week who is adorable but spoiled as heck (parents are both doctors... she gets whatever she wants). For some reason she likes me... and likes to smear food on me...

Jealous? Nothing like chocolate cake smooshed into your butt as a 2 yr old hugs you for giving her a piece of chocolate cake...

:roll: Awesome! Gotta love little kids. :)

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Good. Bad. I'm the Guy with the Multi-Quote."

Hi everyone, sorry for barging in but I'm a newbie here and want to get more involved! Hopefully this is a good place to start! Nice to meet you!

Welcome to The Cantina, Manon. EZ-Freeze is in the back, iWench 2.0 on the left, and Attack Pintas on the right. We feed Elizabeth every other Tuesday and water our "special gardens" once a month.

Enjoy your stay!

I*sigh* Nobody throw things at me, but... Star Trek.

I'll stick my neck out and say the Star Wars novels as well. I read the X-Wing series like crazy (still love it) and some of the early "new" novels were excellent (Zahn = yeah), but ever since the introduction of the Yuuzhan Vong, it's been a downward spiral. Way too dark and repetetive, IMHO.

You need coffee. Coffee makes everything better.

Quote Booked.

Yeah, this shit just doesn't happen in RL.

Which is exactly the reason why I like them. Real Life is often dark and depressing, so it's nice to escape to movie, TV, and books.

Ironically, I refuse to watch any of them because the acting is so terrible....

I have stopped buying DC and Marvel comics altogether as they have hit the idiot wall hard.

I am NOT impressed with the New 52 at all, not least because of how it erases all prior continuity completely, which renders whole swaths of great storytelling (including the "52" story arc) non-cannon, and has bastardized some if not most of the classic characters.

I love Batwoman, Aquaman, and Wonder Woman, but Dial H for Hero takes the cake for Bestest Renewed Title. All the others are meh.

But if they don't bring Booster back, I'm gonna has a sad.

(although, rumor has it Morrison, that crazy nut-job, is bringing Ted Kord back in his Multiverse series. *fingers crossed*)

I am waiting to see what the relaunch over at Marvel brings.

Ditto, but I'm not optimistic.

DC completely revamps it's universe about every 25 years, so at least they have practice with it (although, they still can't seem to get it right).

Marvel not so much. And I'm surprised they would do it during a period where their movies are box-office giants. Maybe they hope to capitalize on all the renewed attention, but it comes across more like they are trying to keep up with the Joneses.

But the advantage of comics is that they are such a long-running medium, that even when they really screw things up, you wait long enough and they come around again.

For example, almost all of Quesada's disastrous "One More Day" storyline has now been more or less undone in the Spider-Man titles.

Right?!?!?!

Great googly-moogly, you want to talk about screwing up a title. He's the sole reason I walked away from Spidey. Although I did come back for the new Scarlet Spider series. (Which is epic, BTW. Full of snark and Kaine treats his powers the way you WANT a superhero* to treat them.)

*and I love that he HATES being called a superhero.

Strange Luck was an awesome show... Fox killed it in what, 6 episodes?

Fox killed a great show in its first season?

*clutches pearls*

:)

I love the Mike Hammer stuff, but... man.

QFT

His best overt Christian writing was The Screwtape Letters.

Also QFT

I took the kid to the bookstore, and once he was done playing with the Thomas the Train stuff and picking up coffee table books about zombies and guns, he knelt in front of the Iain Banks section in SF/F and pulled out Matter (it's a largish book). An employee laughed at him and said "Those are a little ambitious for someone your age. They're for someone my age." Kid, misunderstanding, put Matter back, pulled out the next book (Consider Phlebas) and said "I like the one about Phlebas. How about you?"

Employee: :Jaw:

Dude, your kid is so full of win.

Still, I didn't care for the condescending tone...

Yeah, that would have gotten under my skin.

Big time.

Glad the Mini-Shoveler (aka: The Troweler) pwned her.

It's only a short hop from kitties to pcp and crack.

Quote Booked.

It's not that big.

Uh......

(also, Quote Booked)

Morning gang.

Whut up?

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
But if they don't bring Booster back, I'm gonna has a sad.

I want a new Sugar And Spike comic from DC. Even a special or two would do. Oh, and for them to get rid of the ugly new logo and go back to the classic bullet - the new one (their second ugly publisher identifier in a row, which makes their titles look amateurish) is really bugging me now.

You don't want to know. *hides plans*

It would only make everyone cry...

Food should be for love, not war.

I cannot unthink where my brain went with that

"There will be no fighting in the war room."

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Afternoon.

:nothing

Although I am digging out some music to write to. So far Gershwin, Led Zeppelin and the best of Trojan Records (ska and early reggae).

Goodness knows what sort of prose I shall come up with after listening to that lot.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Afternoon.

:nothing

Although I am digging out some music to write to. So far Gershwin, Led Zeppelin and the best of Trojan Records (ska and early reggae).

Goodness knows what sort of prose I shall come up with after listening to that lot.

I've been on a Bond, Piano Guys and similar artist kick for my recent project. I'm not sure how electric violins and pianos fit with space opera but it works for me. :)

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Hey BigWords, what do you think of Peter Greenaway and Wes Anderson?

Peter Greenaway is one of the names which, when he is mentioned, makes me stop for a moment - there are some films (The Cook, The Thief, His Wife And Her Lover for one) which are brilliant, unsettling, compelling... then there are the films where he is pretty much 'phoning in the work. Taking his best work as a benchmark he is very, very good. Including everything else... he's an uneven director, able to achieve great things on a budget, but hampered by detail.

I like Rushore a LOT, and The Royal Tenenbaums had moments which are truly hilarious, but Anderson's more recent work (Fantastic Mr. Fox) has left me cold. It has been a while since I thought that there was going to be a successor to the things which I associate with the Coen Brothers, but he has the potential - and that, for those who know how harsh my criticism of films can be, is a big compliment.

*imagines Burroughs and PK Dick level of strangeness*

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Late Morning Multi-Quote Brought to You by Unsecured Networks

It's a failing in me, I know that.

The Heinlein thing? If it's anybody's failing, it ain't yours. You have an inalienable right to be uncomfortable with anything that makes you uncomfortable. It's not something to apologize for or be ashamed of. Ever.

Verhoeven did a lot of the themes better in other films, and it felt... redundant. No, not redundant... Something. *curses brain for failing*

Ah, see I missed his other stuff, but if the themes are similar maybe it's time I remedy that.

Yeah - this is another thing. Renumbering is one of the 7 Deadly Sins of comics. Perfect jumping-off point.

Those 7 Deadly Sins get committed quite often, sadly.

Uh, you don't think that's a bit condescending and dismissive, maybe?

I don't, but I am sorry to anyone who did. In hindsight I see that I should either have screened out the wording before I posted or at least stuck an emoticon in there to indicate tone.

DAMN YOU, LIL SIS BIRTHDAY!

Every year I get an OD of it. One year was a Pizza OD, now it's a candy OD.

Damn you, kids' parties and lack of self-control!

Oh Max, how we love thee. Candy or no candy, you're always sweet.

Good morning, peeps. Epic work marathon yesterday. On the bright side, I can relax a bit the rest of the month because I earned lots.

Yay for being able to relax a bit! :Hug2:

It's not that big.

... I'm 16" shorter and about 140lbs lighter, and that's after all the muscle weight I put on this year. To me, it is huge.

Innuendo intended, of course xD

I love wereravens. They're wonderful spies and really, who would suspect one raven out of a flock as you look up to the scan. However, this leads into the other part of that. The werelynx. You did it right there. :)

So the werelynx is just uber-hyper like it's on amphetamines all the time?

Is quite all right. We like noobs. Sit and have a drink, tickle a smibble, beware the kracken, enjoy either the dong garden or the snatch patch as is your preference. Also we have both a hot tea or coffee hot tubs.

Err... I wouldn't do that one if I were you, Manon. Smibbles can get bitey. :D

... :hi::hooray::Hug2:, in that order.

it comes across more like they are trying to keep up with the Joneses.

QFT!

Yeah, I'm here again instead of sleeping. You know what annoys me? When my boss says, "Oh, you guys are light today," only to receive almost the same enormous amount of stuff to unload that we had yesterday. It's not cool getting my hopes up like that. And my feet hurt. :(

:Hug2:

Does goodness know? 'Cause if not, I don't think you should tell it... :D

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
So ever since we got back from our trip Happy has been super cuddly. I don't think he liked us being away and having to live with other dogs. He must think that if he glues himself to my side I won't leave him again.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Aw. I guess happy wasn't eh?

ION, the cat is being a scaredy cat and won't go downstairs unless the light is on. Never heard of a cat that needs a nightlight before.

IOON, I'm having trouble with my writing position in this room. It seems that I can't write unless my legs are elevated. I suppose that's the position I use when I'm writing in bed. Hmm. This requires thought.

Writing leads to thought
Thought leads to tea
Tea leads to biscuits

Something like that.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Peter Greenaway is one of the names which, when he is mentioned, makes me stop for a moment - there are some films (The Cook, The Thief, His Wife And Her Lover for one) which are brilliant, unsettling, compelling... then there are the films where he is pretty much 'phoning in the work. Taking his best work as a benchmark he is very, very good. Including everything else... he's an uneven director, able to achieve great things on a budget, but hampered by detail.

I recently saw A Zed & Two Noughts and it has been a long since I was so mesmerized by a film. I keep watching the opening over and over again.

I remember seeing TV spots by The Thief, The Cook... and its his use of colors.

I like Rushore a LOT, and The Royal Tenenbaums had moments which are truly hilarious, but Anderson's more recent work (Fantastic Mr. Fox) has left me cold. It has been a while since I thought that there was going to be a successor to the things which I associate with the Coen Brothers, but he has the potential - and that, for those who know how harsh my criticism of films can be, is a big compliment.

I recently saw The Royal Tennenbaums and kinda liked the style, but I can see becoming stale from overuse. I saw the trailer of Moonrise Kingdom and found it got some nifty reviews and seemed interesting.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
ION, the cat is being a scaredy cat and won't go downstairs unless the light is on. Never heard of a cat that needs a nightlight before.

That's strange - have you taken the cat to the vet to check its eyes? might be banging into stuff if it is too dark. Or just frightened of the dark... Cats are strange.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Just back from town, and grocery shopping. Tired now. And hot. I'm totally digging the weather: rainy and temps in the 70's (23C). TOTALLY want it to stay like this until May.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I recently saw A Zed & Two Noughts and it has been a long since I was so mesmerized by a film. I keep watching the opening over and over again.

It has been a looong time since I sat down with that film - it is one of his better ones. My concerns about his shooting style is that he often opens up a way of looking at something, then fails to follow through with the notions he brings up. Frustratingly, some of his shorter work contains a higher level of quality but are rarely shown.

I recently saw The Royal Tennenbaums and kinda liked the style, but I can see becoming stale from overuse.

It has a sense of humor which I really respond to, but you hit one of the things which bothers me - going back and reusing one trick over and over again gets old really quickly. He can learn a lot from the directors who push out into wild new areas with each project.

Status
Not open for further replies.