INFP with the moon in Aries

Rattigan

An INFP with the moon in Aries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidlrattigan.com
Greetings, all. I've been writing nonfiction for a while, and I've looked on enviously at fiction writers. I never seem to know where to start with fiction, and even when something sounds great in my head, getting it on paper eludes me.

Thought I might get some inspiration here at Absolute Write, as I heard about the forums some time ago from a friend and fiction writer.

Anyone recommend some good books on writing fiction? At the moment I'm making my way through Sol Stein's Solutions for Writers for the third time, as it helped me early on in my writing career, and he largely writes about fiction. I'd appreciate a really good book on writing short stories, as it seems an obvious place to start before I write the novel that will fund my retirement, etc.

(Bit of background: British-Canadian, born in Vancouver, brought up mostly in Liverpool, UK. Back in Blighty after a couple of years in Niagara. Began adult life as a preacher. Ditched that when the icing fell off the fundamentalist cake (long story), and became a high-school teacher. Freelancer since 2005.)

Nekko

Back to purring
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gericopitch.com
Wow, sounds like you could write an interesting fictional story based on a character who goes through many of the changes you have!

I'm not a published writer yet, but I have found "Writing Fiction" from the Gotham Writers' Workshop, very informative. It's well written, covers the basics, gives many examples, and even has sections called 'your turn', where you are given an exercise based on the topic covered. Even if you don't take the time to do them, they give you a lot to think about.

Good luck, and I hope to see you around the threads!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW.

You just know you're going to get shortened to Ratti, don't you? :tongue

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Don’t forget to read the FAQ regarding posting pictures at AW.

In fact, we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Try Learn Writing with Uncle Jim Volume 1 and Volume 2

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:Ratti,

I'm an ENFJ who has never, evah mooned anyone (yet) :D

CALVIN M

Registered
Reaction score
Rattigan. Love the picture. It reminds me of Pirates of the Caribbean.

Calvin M.

"Oh...and welcome to the AW Water Cooler. Sorry about that, I lost my cue cards somewhere...let me see." as he reaches into his pocket and pulls out a piece of tin foil that has ABC gum in it. He next pulls out a very rare cat's eye marble boulder, and then finally a coaster from a bar by the name of the Swizzle Inn.

"Nope...guess I lost them."

"Anyway, please feel free to roam around and do some critiques in the SYW forum."

Calvin M.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Rattigan!

Welcome to AW! ;)

AW basics:
Read the Newbie Guide!

Forum software questions can be found in the FAQ's menu.
(also in the handy blue bar at the 'top' of this page.)

This common acronym list helps identify our mystifying abbreviations.

Before you ask that Newbie question!!
See if Katiemac has the answer here.

Writing Guides:
Sara's 10 Basic Writing Tips.
What category (or genre) is my writing?

Critique Info:
Please read the 50 Post rule.

Questions about posting your writing to the Share Your Work (SYW) area are explained here. This link covers the most common problems found in the Share Your Work *Worth reading no matter how long you have been here!*

The Social side:
Meet people & sharpen your wit in the Office Party!

AW is a community built on the foundations of respecting your fellow writer and helping each other, it's the basic building blocks of how and why AW works.

Welcome to our community! =)

-kelly-

iron9567

Registered
Reaction score
First off welcome to the site hope you enjoy your stay here. So don't be afraid to just jump in there feet first and get as active as you like.
Thanks
the iron man

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome from an INFJ who thinks INFP's are great. Do you ever use personality types for your characters? I do sometimes, and I find it helps with consistency.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score

Rattigan

An INFP with the moon in Aries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidlrattigan.com
Cheers, everyone. Nice welcome you get in this place. :)

Calvin M, the picture shows Lon Chaney, Sr, as The Phantom of the Opera, in the 1925 film. I had a chuckle at your welcome spiel. Do you cut and paste that for everyone, or am I special? (Please lie and say special.)

rwm4768, if I did the test again, I might not even be an INFP any more. Never found a Myers-Briggs test quite as extensive as the one I completed about ten years ago. I was an ENFP then, but I figure I waver between E and I. Funnily enough, I had a really negative perception of Js for years after that, since someone I loathed came out J in the same test. Heh.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Rattigan. I am an INTJ. Please don't loathe me. :)

If you like Sol Stein's approach, try Stein On Writing, which I think is currently in print, or if not, possibly you can find a used copy. Anyway, I found that one to be useful when I was first starting out.

Also invaluable to me were Gary Provost's Beyond Style: Mastering the Finer Points of Writing, and Self-Editing for Fiction Writers by Renni Browne and Dave King.

In addition--

Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook by Don Maass
Characters & Viewpoint by Orson Scott Card
The Art of Fiction by John Gardner
Beginnings, Middles, & Ends by Nancy Kress