Need Advice

Reaction score
I already self published the first debut novel of my multiple volume series through Createspace. It already has received decent reviews. So is it still possible to have this already self published book represented by an agent to get the other unpublished volumes picked up in trade publishing? If so, could someone list specific agents that might work with me on this? Sorry I just do not want to waste countless hours of my life submitting to random agents that will not accept me for already being self published.

Zombie Kat

Bacteria are your friends
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ilovebacteria.com
I don't think anyone here will be able to give you specific agents to query. I reckon your best bet is to do lots of research so that they're not just 'random agents' but agents who rep books similar to yours (and who are open to an MC called Shit!). Your post comes across like you're basically saying you don't want to do the hard work required to find an agent but are happy to use someone else's effort.

Reaction score
Did not mean to come across that way. But I already did the research you talked about, and did not find any reps that specialize in parody/satire. Hence the basis of this thread.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
I already self published the first debut novel of my multiple volume series through Createspace. It already has received decent reviews. So is it still possible to have this already self published book represented by an agent to get the other unpublished volumes picked up in trade publishing? If so, could someone list specific agents that might work with me on this? Sorry I just do not want to waste countless hours of my life submitting to random agents that will not accept me for already being self published.

Sorry but no one is going to do the work for you. If you want a list then you're going to have to do the research yourself. And it may take countless hours.

I suggest looking up agents that represents books similar to yours and then taking a look at their blog, or other social media they may use and/or their submission page to see if there is any mention of self-published books. Some agents expressly do not want these, others are more open if some specific criteria is met.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Sorry but no one is going to do the work for you. If you want a list then you're going to have to do the research yourself. And it may take countless hours.

I suggest looking up agents that represents books similar to yours and then taking a look at their blog, or other social media they may use and/or their submission page to see if there is any mention of self-published books. Some agents expressly do not want these, others are more open if some specific criteria is met.

As I said before I already did all that. My intention is not to have everybody do the work for me. I am just saying that even if I already got good reviews, but my concept has no commercial specific target demographic, does anyone here on this forum know of any agents that specialize in cases like me?

If nobody knows then fine. But I don't want helpful info to be withheld from me because some people already made up their mind that I am "lazy."

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
No one's going to be able to answer this question for you. Your book is previously published, which puts it into a category of books that only a handful of agents will even consider. To get that consideration, all you can do is query until you find someone will to give it. And you still have to demonstrate that your novel/series has an audience. If your sales are huge (at least in the thousands), that's going to be a difficult point to make.

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The top flight trade press will only publish the next book in a self-pubbed series if there's evidence of substantial sales (usually around the hundred thousand sale mark for self-pubbed authors to grab attention of the big publishers, as you'll see from Amanda Hocking example below).

An agent will be aware of this fact and as their aim would be to get you a publication deal, it's very unlikely you'll get an agent for this series unless, like I said above, you've had massive sales and substantial buzz (a few good reviews mean nowt to the industry, sadly).

FYI, it's usually advised not to self-publish a book before trying to hook an agent. You'll have a much better chance of doing that now if you write a brand new book and series, and try hooking an agent with that.

Or, of course, you could really focus on getting your self-pubbed novel loads and sales and buzz and who knows, you might be one of those rare self-pubbed authors who attract the attention to agents and publishers. It's very rare but you could give it a go. Here's some advice from Amanda Hocking, a self-publishing success...

Amanda Hocking

Reaction score
And you still have to demonstrate that your novel/series has an audience. If your sales are huge (at least in the thousands), that's going to be a difficult point to make.

Exactly my point. I don't have a following outside of some friends and family. I am just a Joe blow guy that recently self published this year. But I have been told before in other forums that even with good reviews, parody/satire is not a commercially viable genre. Hence no agents will take me on, no matter how perfectly edited/written my query letter or manuscript is. I just thought here maybe I would get advice to the contrary.

@TrixieLox: Thanks for the advice. You and others have told me the same thing about not self pubbing before I get an agent. I only did it because I was told that my story concept has no commercial value, hence querying to agents would be a waste of their time and my time.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I already self published the first debut novel of my multiple volume series through Createspace. It already has received decent reviews. So is it still possible to have this already self published book represented by an agent to get the other unpublished volumes picked up in trade publishing?

It is possible that you'll find an agent willing to take your self published book on, but you are going to have to look harder than you'd have had to if you'd not already self published it.

I think it's extremely unlikely that you'll find an agent willing to try to sell your subsequent books in this series, and it's even more unlikely that you'll find a publisher willing to publish them. Publishers don't want to publish a bits of series (serieses?), they want to publish complete series or none of it.

So, your first step here is to try to find an agent willing to try to sell the first book, with a view to selling the subsequent books. It's possible but it is going to be difficult.

If so, could someone list specific agents that might work with me on this? Sorry I just do not want to waste countless hours of my life submitting to random agents that will not accept me for already being self published.

As others have already pointed out, no one reputable would provide you with such a list. So much depends on your book, how you work, and what you want out of your writing career: you have to do all the research yourself, I'm afraid.

Last edited:

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My question would be how well it sold when you self published. And why you wouldn't want to self-publish again.

Jeff

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I only did it because I was told that my story concept has no commercial value, hence querying to agents would be a waste of their time and my time.

I'm curious--who was it who told you this?

I think that unless you get this sort of advice from professional writers and/or publishing people--and even then--you should take it with a grain of salt. All you lose by trying is a bit of your time. Let agents worry about wasting their time. After all, if you don't try, you'll never know.

- Victoria

Reaction score
@Old Hack: I am going to try. But for now I will go the self publishing route on this current series. For my new Science Fiction idea that I believe is far more commercial friendly, going on the trade route makes more sense.

@WeaselFire: Just to immediate friends and family.

@Victoria: At the time I thought these people meant well in giving me this advice. My work is intentionally non traditional with it being a more artistic expression of satire. So I was under the assumption that agents are not looking for artistic expression. They are looking for something that sells...right?

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
My work is intentionally non traditional with it being a more artistic expression of satire. So I was under the assumption that agents are not looking for artistic expression. They are looking for something that sells...right?
Of course they're looking for something that will sell (to a publisher). But marketability and artistry are not mutually exclusive (except maybe in the minds of bitter rejected writers or cultural cynics who believe the world is going to hell in a handbasket). Major literary writers have agents too.

Maybe your work is indeed too artistic or quirky to sell. But there are many, many different kinds of publishers, and many, many different kinds of agents. Perhaps somewhere out there, there's a good fit for you. Again, you don't know unless you try.

- Victoria

Reaction score
Maybe your work is indeed too artistic or quirky to sell.

LOL!! Maybe it is. Basically the gist I got was that the specific genre I am writing in is too fringe that compounded the fact that the political, racial, and social themes in my novel is blatantly intended to be edgy. At the moment I have decided to query out my new sci-fi idea instead, which I intend to make it more mainstream commercial.

But I am OK with the fact that with my current parody/satire series I have yet to find a current contemporary doing anything similar. Maybe I could be the trailblazer if parody/satire becomes commercially mainstream like vampire romances one day. LOL

Reaction score
There are satire/parodies out there. Look at Christopher Moore. Look at Andrew Shaffer.

Thanks for those names. Gives me a starting point of research right there. Have not posted excerpts here in awhile. Just recently advertised for a beta reader though.

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
I have decided to query out my new sci-fi idea instead, which I intend to make it more mainstream commercial.

Just wanted to point out that most agents prefer that your novel is finished before you start querying. Would hate to see you burn any bridges before getting your new idea off the ground by querying agents too soon.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

This might be better phrased as "I am researching agents who represent (this particular) subgenre of (this particular) genre and who are willing to consider works that have been previously published but have reached/have not reached a threshold of sales of this (this particular number of) copies. Has anyone else researched agents in this particular subset and, if so, would they be willing to share their findings?"