• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Diminished Media Group

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Micro publisher that specializes in faith-based fiction.

Link: http://diminishedmediagroup.com/Home_Page.html

It looks like a fairly typical operation. They publish a handful of authors, publication is digital and paperback, and while they don't state the terms of their contract, I didn't see anything about fees. So, probably royalties on net, no advance.

What made my jaw drop was the open plea on their front page for contributions to cover operating costs. Really? What about selling books to do that?

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
It only looks that way to outsiders. Putting my raised-in-the-Bible-Belt hat back on so I can translate. This publisher took their name from the Bible verse John 3:30, and they helpfully say that on their masthead.

"He must become greater; I must become less."

Bible-verse code is an easy shorthand for Christian businesses and consumers to sound each other out. A not-so-secret handshake, if you will.
In this case, it tells authors that Diminished is humble before God, and that their works are meant to support their perceived missions.

I wish them well. Their 'About' statement gives me some cautious hope in this age of aggressively partisan culture wars.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Ah, so the message would be clear to their audience. That makes sense.

But the plea for donations to cover their operating costs is a huge red flag, imo.

I am also not so confident about an outfit that distributes their e-books through Smashwords. (I also thought their covers were on the clunky side, but maybe that's just me.)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
They managed to write Christian submission guidelines without being insulting (bar one aside)--so kudos for that.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I think they'd be better off trying to fund specific projects through Kickstarter, and building credibility that way. The donation plea sort of breaks my heart. Even if these folks mean well they're going to be judged by other yardsticks. Far too many 'Christian' charities and organizations have turned out to be scam operations preying on good people.

I am NOT saying Diminished is in the latter category, just that their website red flags may not help their cause.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
No, they aren't a scam. Perhaps not a good idea for most authors, though, if their finances are such that they need donations.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site gone. Last pub early '13.