AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Publisher] Diminished Media Group

I write novels

[Publisher] Diminished Media Group

Micro publisher that specializes in faith-based fiction.

Link: http://diminishedmediagroup.com/Home_Page.html

It looks like a fairly typical operation. They publish a handful of authors, publication is digital and paperback, and while they don't state the terms of their contract, I didn't see anything about fees. So, probably royalties on net, no advance.

What made my jaw drop was the open plea on their front page for contributions to cover operating costs. Really? What about selling books to do that?

practical experience, FTW Anarchic Q's Avatar
    The name of their business just screams self fulfilling prophecy.
    Do Not Tamper With - My Writing, Art & Reviews Blog
    Wheelchair Seating for the Apocalypse - A horror short story by Q. Published on Spinetingler Magazine.
    Re-Invention - A sci-fi short story by Q. Printed in Make Something Magazine.
    GoodReads

I write novels
    It's probably not the best choice for a name, true.

I noticed they use Smashwords for their e-books.

It only looks that way to outsiders. Putting my raised-in-the-Bible-Belt hat back on so I can translate. This publisher took their name from the Bible verse John 3:30, and they helpfully say that on their masthead.

"He must become greater; I must become less."

Bible-verse code is an easy shorthand for Christian businesses and consumers to sound each other out. A not-so-secret handshake, if you will.
    In this case, it tells authors that Diminished is humble before God, and that their works are meant to support their perceived missions.

I wish them well. Their 'About' statement gives me some cautious hope in this age of aggressively partisan culture wars.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

I write novels
    Ah, so the message would be clear to their audience. That makes sense.

But the plea for donations to cover their operating costs is a huge red flag, imo.

I am also not so confident about an outfit that distributes their e-books through Smashwords. (I also thought their covers were on the clunky side, but maybe that's just me.)

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    They managed to write Christian submission guidelines without being insulting (bar one aside)--so kudos for that.
    Emily Veinglory

I think they'd be better off trying to fund specific projects through Kickstarter, and building credibility that way. The donation plea sort of breaks my heart. Even if these folks mean well they're going to be judged by other yardsticks. Far too many 'Christian' charities and organizations have turned out to be scam operations preying on good people.

I am NOT saying Diminished is in the latter category, just that their website red flags may not help their cause.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

I write novels
    No, they aren't a scam. Perhaps not a good idea for most authors, though, if their finances are such that they need donations.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Site gone. Last pub early '13.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: