oDesk worthwhile?

starkers

Registered
Reaction score
It seems like a minimum pay market for people living in countries with a weak economy... is it possible to make reasonable wage from it?

aibrean

Author, Designer, Imaginative Being
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilsadowski.com
One thing to consider is the terms of use require a buy-out so it's all work-for-hire. Generally it's not worth it with their budgets.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It seems like a minimum pay market for people living in countries with a weak economy... is it possible to make reasonable wage from it?
Countries with weak economies tend to be lower in cost of living, so maybe.

Jeff

Deleted member 42

Frankly, I've never found oDesk, or guru, or damn, I can't remember the other two, or Demand Studios to be worth the effort.

They were a few years ago, I know, but not so much now.

starkers

Registered
Reaction score
eLance?

Where do most people get their jobs then?

Deleted member 42

eLance?

Where do most people get their jobs then?

I think mostly they're looking for work. Magazines aren't buying as much as they used to; they're using staff. Content mills (Demand, eLance, Examiner) aren't paying as well, and fillers aren't much of a market now at all.

About.com still seems to be working for some, but the hiring process is exceedingly slow.

Miller Robert

Registered
Reaction score
There are a lot of representatives from countries with a weak economy at oDesk. That why average prices are low.

NicoleTHarmon

Registered
Reaction score
hi. I haven't heard of odesk. do you have a link to the website or the correct web address in case what I look up doesn't work well. Is this a writing program that you can use to complete your writing, freelance assignments and the like?

aibrean

Author, Designer, Imaginative Being
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilsadowski.com
It's a job bidding site, but there's a high market saturation of people from third-world countries driving down the bidding prices.

SilverDragon

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to just jump into the middle of this conversation. But I used to do SEO stuff on Odesk all the time and I made a pretty decent amount of money when I was out of work (1,600 - 2,000 per month). This was about a year ago when SEO marketing was more popular. But the key was you had to bust your butt in order to do that well. There were days I would work 10 to 12 hours. I think Odesk is good if you want to try to get some experience for another type of job. For example, because of my Odesk experience, I got a job as a copywriter for a game company.