Need Digital Camera Advice...

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
"...the software one uses is completely irrelevant to the camera..." Not necessarily so. I recently had an encounter with an otherwise nice little Sony camera. NO WAY could I get pics out of it (at least by way of the USB cable) without using its insane built-in software. It was a huge puzzlement, since I knew nothing about it and autorun of almost any device is disabled on my machine. And then there is Kodak.

Normally I just "open" the camera as an external drive and copy out the most recent batch of pics. Proper cameras allow that.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Normally I just "open" the camera as an external drive and copy out the most recent batch of pics. Proper cameras allow that.

Pure curiosity question: Does the camera have a removable "card" on which the images are stored? These things are nothing more than flash drives with a particular form of connector port, for which there are cheap adapters that permit download via USB to any computer.

I'm not an expert on these things, but every camera I've ever used had such a thing, or, in the case of an iPad, had a connector with which you could use a simple USB cable to download stuff. I'm really amazed that people seem to be having so much trouble with this transfer of digital information.

caw

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really amazed that people seem to be having so much trouble with this transfer of digital information.

Vern's problem, and all of the thoughtful and technical responses made me realize just how easy I have it:

I had to learn where to plug in the USB cord on my iMac, I had to learn where the cord went on the camera. I had to learn how to turn on my camera and iPhoto. I had to learn how to click on: download photos, and what the option of 'erase originals' meant. I also learned that this is what I had to do for the Sony and the Panasonic and the Nikon and the Canon. I never realized until now that I was so dang spoiled. =(