• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Pants On Fire Press

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
We began developing the press in 2007, mostly for us – as a sort of label for our personal books. As you know, writing a book takes time. We tried to have three books ready for press by 2010. Unfortunately only one of us met the deadline with script in hand. In 2011 we made the financial commitment to publish other authors books but only if they met our Disneyesque standards.

This worries me a bit, to be honest. Not an expert, though, perhaps one of the publishing experts will have a different opinion.

Kmarshall

Registered
Reaction score
You know, it's hard not to root for a company with a name like that :)

scorpiodragon

Black belt in awesome
Registered
Reaction score
Being deeply entrenched in Disney values, as it is our heritage.

This worries me because I feel like it implies a connection to the Disney organization. Also I'm not seeing any information about the Editorial staff or anything about past experience in publishing.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that shouldn't even be said on their website, if you ask me. And they keep referring to Disney-type books, which is odd. They should develop their own uniqueness.

JamesOliv

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I've seen a few of these. I'm reluctant to call them indie publishers.

I don't know if there is a better term. If not, I'd like to propose we call them "self publishing co-ops."

It isn't a single person self publishing and it isn't a publising house, it's really just a bunch of self-publishing authors sharing an imprint.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing. It's just a thing. I can't picture myself submitting to one as it wouldn't be very different from self publising. Besides, if I want to co-op an imprint I would do it with friends I know and trust, not someone I found a google search.

Just my opinion.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
This worries me because I feel like it implies a connection to the Disney organization. Also I'm not seeing any information about the Editorial staff or anything about past experience in publishing.

The publisher, David Powers, spent 12 years working for Disney according to his LinkedIn profile. (Which is interesting - first job cited was Detective with the Osceola County Sheriff's dept.!) Fair enough to mention, I think.

tbrosz

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
I looked into this outfit last week when Publishers Marketplace reported several sales to them in their August 16 "Deals" newsletter.

A "nice deal" and "very nice deal" were mentioned, but according to an entry in their Pants on Fire blog, they don't pay advances, so I don't know what's what there.

They are a company that was founded to publish their own work, spreading out to publishing other people's work, and they're up front about it.

More background in this blog post.

Their main website is informative, but will give you afterimages for half an hour.

scorpiodragon

Black belt in awesome
Registered
Reaction score
The publisher, David Powers, spent 12 years working for Disney according to his LinkedIn profile. (Which is interesting - first job cited was Detective with the Osceola County Sheriff's dept.!) Fair enough to mention, I think.

Thanks for tracking this down, Torgo.

CaitlinJans

Registered
Reaction score
I just visited their website and went to their submission guidelines: http://pantsonfirepress.com/submissions/

A pop up showed up promoting their "pre publishing services".

" Announcing Pants On Fire Press Pre-Publishing Services.

Use the professional resources of Pants On Fire Press to edit, proof, cover design, interior design or even create an eBook of your existing book.

NOTE: we do not self publish books. We simply offer clients the opportunity to hire the editorial, design and technical capital of Pants On Fire Press.

Contact us today for a free consultation by calling 863-546-0760 for David, or email [email protected].."

There was a link at the end of the pop up to this page: http://pantsonfirepress.com/prepublishing-services/

I do not like this development.

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
Nothing much to say about the press really, other then found one of their middle grade book offerings only listing 26 pages, which is a lower count then even a pic book but under FAQ I found this...

I found an error in one of your books. Where can I report it?
Pants On Fire Press understand mistakes can occasionally slip by us! If you wish to report one, please e-mail the editorial department at editor AT pantsonfirepress DOT com. Include the title of the book, the page number of the error, and an explanation of the mistake.

I've never seen that in any FAQ list before, does this mean they are contacted a lot about mistakes?