Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Story breaking. Interesting.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/golf...mbers-condoleezza-rice-darla-moore/57160252/1

"This is a joyous occasion as we enthusiastically welcome Secretary Condoleezza Rice and Darla Moore as members of Augusta National Golf Club," Payne said in a statement. "We are fortunate to consider many qualified candidates for membership at Augusta National. Consideration with regard to any candidate is deliberate, held in strict confidence and always takes place over an extended period of time. The process for Condoleezza and Darla was no different.

"These accomplished women share our passion for the game of golf and both are well known and respected by our membership. It will be a proud moment when we present Condoleezza and Darla their Green Jackets when the Club opens this fall.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations to the 1% for finally making some small effort toward recognizing the equality of women in places where they might actually have to interact. It makes the lip service they've been paying to the concept for the last several decades a little less galling.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I've always wondered if the actual members of the club cared at all if it remained men-only. I'll never be rich enough or male enough to know. And really, that's fine by me.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I've always wondered if the actual members of the club cared at all if it remained men-only. I'll never be rich enough or male enough to know. And really, that's fine by me.
Well, they elect their officers, don't they? Seems to me that's the argument we always hear when our elected officials do things we don't like. It's our fault because we voted for them. I think the same argument should apply here.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
But just like government elections, we might vote for (or against) one issue, knowingly betraying our conviction on another issue, because the odds of one politician or public servant bearing all our standards at the same time are not very good.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
But just like government elections, we might vote for (or against) one issue, knowingly betraying our conviction on another issue, because the odds of one politician or public servant bearing all our standards at the same time are not very good.

That is only a problem in a rigged system where only two types of candidates are allowed to appear, mainly because voters think that a country of 300 million people only have one of two strands of political thought.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com

I wouldn't mind being rich enough and I'd like to think I'm already male enough, but the fact is that I can't even play mini golf well.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Augusta, like many clubs, is private. They can do whatever they want regarding membership. At many of these clubs, the Membership Committee is anonymous - and can't personally be influenced by the general membership.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Augusta, like many clubs, is private. They can do whatever they want regarding membership. At many of these clubs, the Membership Committee is anonymous - and can't personally be influenced by the general membership.

Which makes its behavior legal, but does it make it acceptable in the eyes of today's public?

Evidently not, and maybe the anonymous Membership Committee is beginning to move beyond the 19th century. About time. Whatever you think of Tiger Woods as a person, or the sport in general, his five victories in the most prestigious of golf tournaments in the world pushed Augusta in this direction, and the inertia has now proved irresistible.

Belated, yes, but, as Martha Stewart says, it's a good thing.

Now, can Condy Rice play golf worth a damn?

caw

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Now, can Condy Rice play golf worth a damn?

caw
If she reads AW, as I expect she must, I hereby challenge her to a match. I'll even go a buck a hole. My dawg, I'd kill to play that course.

How about it Condi?

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deathwizardchronicles.blogspot.com

I'm a Feminist, and find the ol' men's club thing to be offensive, but you're absolutely right, nonetheless.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Which makes its behavior legal, but does it make it acceptable in the eyes of today's public?

caw
I hope so...I wouldn't want "the public" to tell me who my friends should be or who I can hang out with. My social circle is my "club" and nobody's business but mine (and my friends).

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I hope so...I wouldn't want "the public" to tell me who my friends should be or who I can hang out with. My social circle is my "club" and nobody's business but mine (and my friends).

Yes, and no problem with that. BUT, Augusta Country Club ain't you. It's a hugely prestigious organization which hosts the premier annual golfing event in the world, and reaps gazillions of dollars in revenue from TV and fans. You can rationalize all you want about the "legality" of this "club's" position on such matters, and it don't matter. As I said, it's legal. I don't know that anybody has challenged that.

But legal doesn't = acceptable, or right. You want to play on the public stage, you take on certain responsibilities beyond the strictly "legal", if you want to please and succeed.

They finally did it. And it was entirely right and proper for others to criticize them for not doing so a damn long time ago. Much like the University of Alabama and other southern schools, in the admission of black students (and particularly athletes) back in the 1960s, I guarantee they'll wind up happier for having done so.

caw

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of free association. Organizations such as this make it easier to spot misogynists, just as membership in the KKK illustrates one's racial stance. It makes it easier to avoid bigots, and helps me define my own free associations. You couldn't pay me enough money to eat or play at this club, just as I'd never participate in a KKK march or pot-luck-dinner.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
They deserve some credit, but they did go with safe picks - a banker and a neocon - who should fit right in with the current membership without any significant disruptions.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I'm a big fan of free association. Organizations such as this make it easier to spot misogynists, just as membership in the KKK illustrates one's racial stance. It makes it easier to avoid bigots, and helps me define my own free associations. You couldn't pay me enough money to eat or play at this club, just as I'd never participate in a KKK march or pot-luck-dinner.
Then there's this. I do like the cat to wear to a bell. Still, it's not sad to see this change. Ah, conflicted convictions with my coffee. It must be Tuesday.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
The "free association" argument falls flat when every prestigious organization dedicated to the sport is predominantly white and male. They have the money, tradition, power and recognition. This club can make or break golfers.

"Free Association" sounds great, but looked at from a different angle, it can also read "Separate but Equal," and we all know that in most cases, "Equal" is nothing near.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
SFW?

Condoleeza Rice's membership at Augusta National Country Club is a historic event which benefits exactly one person.

Condoleeza Rice. It doesn't mean a damn thing to anything except glorious self-advancement.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Condoleeza Rice's membership at Augusta National Country Club is a historic event which benefits exactly one person.

Condoleeza Rice. It doesn't mean a damn thing to anything except glorious self-advancement.

Somehow, I don't think membership in Augusta is exactly the pinnacle of her career.