AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

View Poll Results: Should men be allowed to sit next to unaccompanied minors?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

38 57.58%
  • No

7 10.61%
  • Yes, unless the minor's parents request otherwise

15 22.73%
  • Another option, I'll explain

6 9.09%
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111216 ... LastLast

Thread: Airlines forbid men from sitting next to unaccompanied minors

You can't sit with us! missesdash's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RJLeahy View Post
    This
    I believe that says "nearly 100%"

Wait. Let me check.

Ah yes, yes it does.

Quote Originally Posted by kuwisdelu View Post
    In science, to do a proper statistical analysis, you're supposed to choose the cutoff for your decision prior to looking at the data. Otherwise the data can influence and bias you when you go to make your decision. (At least that's what we statisticians keep telling experimentalists, but do they ever listen? Noooo.) This is the way we apply statistics to all sciences, including the business and social sciences. When you go to look at the data, no matter what it is, you can end up saying "see, this is too much!" I want to get an idea of what you think is an appropriate cutoff before you look at the data.
    You'd hate to see how the business world can mangle things.

Oy. You are a tough one. I'd say I'd use similar tolerances as vaccinations are allowed. Flu vaccines, specifically. I'm pulling that out of my ass because you won't let me cheat any, though
    It's Woman, by Kraft. All your favourite classic flavours like virgin, whore, damsel, black widow and now all-new feminazi! Extra spicy!
    --
    BunnyMaz

Did you just Godwin a 4 year old?
    -- Celia Cyanide

I've walked these streets in the madhouse, asylum they can be
    Where a wild-eyed misfit prophet on a traffic island stopped
    And he raved of saving me

Please donate or volunteer: http://www.karmakrew.org/Home_Page.html

Trust: that most precious coin. little_e's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by backslashbaby View Post
    Theoretically. But I'm talking about looking at a real problem, not making a completely theoretical scientific analysis. I'd like to see the general trends in the data before choosing exactly how to approach it. It doesn't have to fit all cases of similar data sets, remember. It's more of a business or social science approach.
    My political science professors would be appalled by this statement. We were taught to be quite rigorous in our use of statistics, thank you very much.

Come on you stranger, you legend, Devil Ledbetter's Avatar
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien."

I think there is a middle road here, depending on how men flying feel about it, yes.
    "Je ne pas parles Francais."

The problem is it puts men in the position of either accepting the nasty accusations/assumptions that their maleness makes them sexually crave and violate children, or refusing to put precious, vulnerable children ahead of their own pride. It's a lose-lose proposition for them.

Further, it teaches children (by example) then men simply cannot be trusted and want nothing more than to be allowed in close proximity to them so they can take advantage in sick and twisted ways.

And even further, it sticks women in the role of unwitting caretakers of stranger's children on planes.

In other words, it's fucked up.

Pearl Jam is Ellie's religion.
    Saint and Tremor Christ just
    need a place to live.
    State of Love & Trust

I Write | I Blog | My Dog

Quote Originally Posted by missesdash View Post
    I believe that says "nearly 100%"

Wait. Let me check.

Ah yes, yes it does.
    Ah of course, nearly. What is that, 99.9, 99.8?

Quote Originally Posted by little_e View Post
    My political science professors would be appalled by this statement. We were taught to be quite rigorous in our use of statistics, thank you very much.
    Well, feel free to jump in with your study design!

eta: in fairness, though, I really am coming at it from a manufacturing background more than my theoretical education. It's just something I've done more of in any practical application.
    It's Woman, by Kraft. All your favourite classic flavours like virgin, whore, damsel, black widow and now all-new feminazi! Extra spicy!
    --
    BunnyMaz

Did you just Godwin a 4 year old?
    -- Celia Cyanide

I've walked these streets in the madhouse, asylum they can be
    Where a wild-eyed misfit prophet on a traffic island stopped
    And he raved of saving me

Please donate or volunteer: http://www.karmakrew.org/Home_Page.html

Trust: that most precious coin. little_e's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Are you actually calling me paranoid?
    I think society is paranoid. I think this whole business is paranoid.

Ah of course, nearly. What is that, 99.9, 99.8?
    It's more "there is no evidence that it has ever occurred but it is not physically impossible."

Banned
    But worldwide, don't men earn it?
    Man =/= child-molester.

Quote Originally Posted by missesdash View Post
    It's more "there is no evidence that it has ever occurred but it is not physically impossible."

No evidence that a woman has sexually abused a child, or just not on an airplane?

Bright and Early for the Daily Race Chrissy's Avatar
    I think there are two ways of looking at the idea of asking a man to change seats, with the disclaimers that (1) there must be a better way, with sectioning off rows for children, or something like that, and (2) I'm not a man, nor have I ever been in this particular position (although I can think of some comparable examples, but never mind).

The man could say:

"They don't even know me, and they assume I'm capable of molesting a child????"

Or, he could say:

"They don't know me, and they are trying to protect the child from child molesters."

That's my opinion. I don't know what the "right" thing to do is. I certainly don't want to offend anyone, but I also want to protect the kids.

No evidence that a woman has sexually abused a child, or just not on an airplane?

Take a wild guess

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil Ledbetter View Post
    "The problem is it puts men in the position of either accepting the nasty accusations/assumptions that their maleness makes them sexually crave and violate children, or refusing to put precious, vulnerable children ahead of their own pride. It's a lose-lose proposition for them.

Further, it teaches children (by example) then men simply cannot be trusted and want nothing more than to be allowed in close proximity to them so they can take advantage in sick and twisted ways.

And even further, it sticks women in the role of unwitting caretakers of stranger's children on planes.

In other words, it's fucked up.
    Yup, I agree.

I don't have kids. I generally fly alone. I am the person who always ends up with three parent-less brats sitting behind me, who spend the flight kicking my seat and pulling my hair. I am the person who always ends up in the baby-pit of international flights, no matter how much I beg not to be seated there; the last time, an apparently reached-the-end-of-her-tether mother in my seat row handed me her endlessly screaming baby and walked away.

I do understand that some people have no choice but to let their kids fly alone. But for pete's sake teach them how to behave in public! And it peeves me no end to know that some people (one of my ex-colleagues among them) seat themselves in first class and put their kids in cattle class so that the parents can 'enjoy' their flight and someone else can deal with their brats. (This colleague also has a habit of booking herself and her husband on a direct flight, and booking her kids on an indirect flight that leaves earlier and arrives later. They dump their kids on a flight attendant, go sit in the lounge and drink, take their flight, sit in the lounge and drink at the other end, and then collect their kids when the later flight finally arrives. All, again, so they can "enjoy" their trip and let some other poor slob like me deal with their obnoxious kids.)

Sorry, that was my personal pre-coffee rant for the day.

I think either way the guy who's traveling alone is going to be viewed as a potential threat. If not as a child molester, then perhaps as a terrorist (depending on his looks and where he's from) or a hijacker, or a mason, or a member of the Illuminati....

Okay, not those last two. I wonder, is there an age limit on these things? Years back, when I was in my mid-twenties, I often had to sit next to a screaming, ill-mannered kid. No one ever asked me to move, no one ever accused me of touching their little Johnny or Janey, and no one looked at me strangely. I haven't been on an airplane for the last four years, so I guess times have changed and not for the better.

Whoever said this situation is all screwed up is right.

[QUOTE=missesdash;752256

Take a wild guess[/QUOTE]

No guessing allowed. But I assume you agree they exist, and at some point they will probably fly to... wherever pedophiles fly. So then it's just a matter of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Unimportant View Post
    the last time, an apparently reached-the-end-of-her-tether mother in my seat row handed me her endlessly screaming baby and walked away.
    You should have dropped the baby.

The risks I see are discriminating against men. If men were OK with that to a certain percentage, it reduces the number of cases needed to make that decision.

I'd have to survey flying men to begin to do a real analysis.
    I say men shouldn't sit next to unaccompanied minors... or anyone with fewer than 46 chromosomes...or more than 46 chromosomes...or a different gender...or the same gender...lets just make that for 5 rows to be sure...(puts tray up and seat back and earbuds in)

Sex-specific airlines, that's the ticket.

It really bothers me to lump an entire gender into a criminal category. The rule goes too far, I believe. I hope guys don't think that all women believe men are going to molest children. I certainly don't.

Besides, whose to say women are any safer?

Best to teach our kids to scream, kick, and punch if someone ever touches them inappropriately.
    I despise motivational quotes, but this one isn't bad: I do not try to dance better than anyone else. I only try to dance better than myself. Mikhail Baryshnikov

Three and a half novels to paper. More in the pipeline.

Couldn't we just arm the kids? You know, little guns with small, child sized bullet?

Quote Originally Posted by EarlyBird View Post
    It really bothers me to lump an entire gender into a criminal category. The rule goes too far, I believe. I hope guys don't think that all women believe men are going to molest children. I certainly don't.

Besides, whose to say women are any safer?

Best to teach our kids to scream, kick, and punch if someone ever touches them inappropriately.
    Every study ever conducted on sexual abuse of children

This is the type of sexism that would never be tolerated by women, and shouldn't be by men.

If studies showed certain races were statically more prone to certain crimes, it wouldn't justify racism.

If studies showed certain races were statically more prone to certain crimes, it wouldn't justify racism.
    Well I didn't say it justified anything. I was responding to a question.

The statement wasn't directed at you

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111216 ... LastLast