AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: BULLIES ON THE HILL

BULLIES ON THE HILL

Well first off I'd like to thank those that gave me rep points for enduring the abuse on this form that I have had lately, and being a lady about it, But there comes a time.

There have been some very kind people on here, and I'd like to take this time to thank you. I've learnt from you and on top of that you've saved me not having to pay a lawyer $500.00 an hour, to ask stupid questions that can be answered on the internet.

I'd like to say before I go, since my rights were taken from me today....(by closing my thread with out me being allowed to defend myself), that my question was a NEW one! I thought this was a free country to ask questions...but not so sure after being demeaned, belittled and bullied...along with the rude comments to me personally....(Have I READ A NOVEL). LOL THEN TO CLOSE MY THREAD?

This is just another good example of why memoirs are written because it can take place not only behind closed doors, but also on the internet.

I have to say their are posts on here that
    irritated me to no end, due to the arrogance of some of you to your fellow writers, not only me. If you can't stand someone ....move on...show some respect.

There are people who come on here to get through road blocks what ever those may be for them. Novels are nothing compared to memoirs...we too have a story to tell.

I said on my last thread its not about the money! It's... about having the ending of holding my life in my hand....owing it. (seriously I can already here the chatter) I was wondering if I made 1 copy for myself, and my children as I'm sure there is a minimum of 25 or more ....would there be....... dare I say.... LEGAL REPERCUSSIONS! I have never asked this question before.
    I decided my memoir isn't about making money. So I don't care to sell it on the net, because I won't change the events, and my family agrees totally with me.

I'm very aware your not lawyers...But I'm pretty sure I'VE READ SOME WHERE ON HERE NO QUESTION IS A DUMB QUESTION!

On a positive note I wish you all success with your novels...

Now you may close my post...AND ALSO DELETE ME FROM THIS FORM. I have no intention of ever coming back or reading the negative feedback that is sure to come.

4/10
    Bound for Trouble on Liquid Silver Books on Amazon.

Like vampires? Like sex? Like the near future in an alternative history where humans have overthrown their bloodsucking overlords and use them for slave labor?

This novella might be for you.

Quote Originally Posted by amrose View Post
    4/10
    You're generous...
    Je suis Charlie

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

Passion is easy; commitment is hard.

In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
    Well I scanned through the various threads, etc., and find no instances of bullying, but call it what you will.

When you post on a forum, you can't expect everyone to agree with you. Difference of opinion does not equate to 'bullying.'
    Latest story in December 2013 issue of EQMM.

Eeyore was saying to himself, “This writing business. Pencils and what-not. Over-rated if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it.” A.A. Milne

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OCEAN View Post
    I'd like to say before I go, since my rights were taken from me today....(by closing my thread with out me being allowed to defend myself), that my question was a NEW one! I thought this was a free country to ask questions...
    Ocean, please remember that you are not standing on a public streetcorner. Nor are you in any particular 'country'. Absolute Write is a privately owned forum. No one has the right to join AW or the right to post. We are guests in the virtual home of MacAllister, and it is only courteous to behave in the manner expected of us. If we do not, Mac has every right to ask us to leave, just as any homeowner has the right to chuck a boorish guest out the door.

Owning Absolute Write is quite a liability for MacAllister. First, there's the cost of hosting the site -- thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, of dollars each year. Then there is the legal liability. If someone posts libellous material here, MacAllister could be sued. If someone posts material that infringes another person's copyright, MacAllister could be sued. If someone were to give you personal legal advice that they were not entitled to do, and you were to come to harm because of it, MacAllister could be sued. Just as doctors cannot diagnose over the internet, lawyers cannot provide legal advice over the internet. Non-lawyers can't, either. The moderators try to ensure that such things do not happen, so that AW can continue to be a source of information and social interaction for writers all over the globe.

Finally, there is MacAllister's personal stake in this forum. It's her baby. She has every right to be very proud of what this forum does. Tens of thousands of writers come here to learn about the industry, to check up on publishers, to get their work critiqued, to ask questions and provide answers. Keeping tens of thousands of people civil and polite is no mean feat. But Mac and her Mods manage it. And they have every right to manage it as they see fit. It is their forum.

Tell it like it Is Susan Littlefield's Avatar
    In the country with the love of my life and our cats

Smile

Ocean,

I read through your locked thread, and I don't see where anyone is bullying you. They were just saying you have asked the question before and want you to stop doing so and consult an attorney. I think that's a perfectly acceptable answer, given any advice would verge on legal advice.

I'm a paralegal and even I can't give legal advice, not even to my writer pals. I can also get my bosses into trouble for my bad conduct if I do give legal advice.

You are right, there are no dumb questions, but nobody ever said your questions were dumb.

I'm sorry you feel bullied and have decided to leave. I wish you the best.

I offered comments on Ocean's query once, but after the reaction and other threads, chose not to do so again. It's very clearly a case of the memoir being her life, rather than about her life.

All I can suggest is that perspective is a good thing. Criticising how the memoir holds together as a book is not a personal criticism. Not wanting to hold the same conversation about the memoir multiple times does not mean people are uncaring. It means they find it tiring to keep repeating themselves. None of this means that people who don't like something, or don't agree, are rapists/abusers/bullies/other negative people from the memoir.

Sometimes it's good to step away from memoirs. There are other ways to discuss important issues, such as realistic fiction and non-fiction articles. A bit of distance can help with perspective, and the memoir will likely be stronger for it on the return.
    * Polenth *

Website | Blog / Send Review Requests | Twitter
    Sunstruck - Bigfoot Urban Fantasy Novel

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    I don't know what this is about and don't have time to go and read up to find out, but I'm closing it until the room mods arrive.

Ocean, I strongly suggest that you drop this, whatever it is. If you have problems with my actions here PM me: if you were bullied elsewhere, then report the posts and let the mods deal with it. Thanks.