Agents have my book; should I send them recent info?

Yāoguài

Strange Monster
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thedaoshichronicles.blogspot.com
Hi! A couple of agents requested my manuscript and I sent it to them. Since I sent it to them, I've had a short story accepted to an anthology, and I've become a finalist in an important writing competition.

So I was wondering, should I get in touch with these agents and let them know? If so, how should I phrase it?

Thanks so much for your help.

Edited to add: at the time of the query letter, I had zero author credits to my name.

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
Others can correct me at will, but author credits mainly work in the realm of getting your manuscript into the agents' hands. They show that you write at a professional level and that others want to publish you, and so the agent takes that into account as s/he considers your query.

At this point, they've already decided to look at the ms., so unless you either do something that a) hugely expands your platform, like, you're going to be on the TODAY show talking about your book or b) get an offer of representation on this title, I wouldn't worry about letting them know about your additional credits until they offer rep.

But by all means drop them into the bio paragraph of any future queries you send out.

amschilling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amschilling.com
If the contest is the one I think it is (given your locale and the fact that the emails on finalists for that went out last week ;-) ), then you can just add finalist (or winner come early September) to future queries. I wouldn't update an agent that's already requested the work. For them, you could simply let them know if you get "the call."

Definitely list both the short and the contest for queries going forward, however. I sure as heck plan to! And good luck in the finals!

LisaAnn

Registered
Reaction score
Looks like you have already received great advice, so I will simply say congrats on your contest and anthology! :)