WriteOnCon online kidlit writers' conference

Pinguicha

Has the cutest cat in the world!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pinguicha.wordpress.com
And while some of the feedback has been blandly positive, I think the AW crew has been representing well with useful advice. I certainly appreciate it.

I'd say! Your advice, as well as the advice from the other AWers, has been super helpful! I haven't really received "blandly positive" comments, though, so I might be in luck!

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
I've never really done a query, but I'm happy to offer some thoughts to hopefully bump it back up for better critiquers :)

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Peter Knapp's pitch crit was pretty interesting. He mentioned Aliens were selling well, for all you sci-fi people out there.

I wish he'd critiqued 30 pitches at random, but he started at #1 and went to #30. I would've had to post at like 5am to have had a shot, and I worked last night until 1. Not fair :(

BBBurke

Along for the ride
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairbburke.com
I wish he'd critiqued 30 pitches at random, but he started at #1 and went to #30. I would've had to post at like 5am to have had a shot, and I worked last night until 1. Not fair :(

It actually was at random. They took all the submissions and then chose the random 30 and renumbered them. I think that confused a lot of people. Mine was not posted in the first 30.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
It actually was at random. They took all the submissions and then chose the random 30 and renumbered them. I think that confused a lot of people. Mine was not posted in the first 30.

Yeah it was kind of annoying he didn't give the number of the post. People with similar stories or issues had to dig to reference.

eventidepress

Registered
Reaction score

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
My MG query got ninjaed! I only posted it to see if anyone would say, "Are you crazy? Talking animal stories don't sell!" and got lots of good advice. I wish I'd worked harder on the query to start with.

Oh, I'm KateShaw over there. I've also got a YA query up for critique that I updated after the first comments came in, if anyone wants to take a look.

The critiques are sometimes useful, sometimes just a few bland compliments. I've been trying to give good critiques, especially to those posts that haven't had any or many responses. It's funny how many of the books I really want to read. Suddenly I see why it's so hard to get an agent--there are a lot of really good writers out there!

Pinguicha

Has the cutest cat in the world!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pinguicha.wordpress.com
Someone opened a query with "Character X has a power most guys would trade their left nut for." Until a Ninja showed up, I was the only person recommending she change it. I mean... What is it with the glowing criticism? It makes no sense to me!

Meanwhile, my queries and pages have been hacked, torn apart and put back together. So glad for all the feedback I've received!

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Someone opened a query with "Character X has a power most guys would trade their left nut for." Until a Ninja showed up, I was the only person recommending she change it. I mean... What is it with the glowing criticism? It makes no sense to me!

Meanwhile, my queries and pages have been hacked, torn apart and put back together. So glad for all the feedback I've received!

I've seen a few glowing ones as well. And a lot of the times at stories that I don't think deserve it. I try to temper it was honest feedback. But how likely are people going to be to listen if they've got 5 it's great reviews and 1 here's how you could improve review.

I guess it depends on the author. Some of them want to be better and will learn from it. And those are the authors I want to focus on ;) (which is the AW people)

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think most people are open to critical feedback, as well. If not, shame on 'em. Don't post your work if you don't want honest feedback (of course, AWers know that. We're awesome. :D).

I'm slowly but surely reading all the AWers threads. :Thumbs:

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
Reading it now :)

It's the worst when it gets completely looked over.

I know. I sorted by number of replies earlier, and it was the ONLY ONE with no replies on the whole board. I felt like a leper. But now I've got some shiny new feedback -- thanks so much, guys! I kind of want to hug you all right now :Hug2:

Last edited:

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I finally posted my first 5 and query today. The query I just churned out cause I was kicking myself for missing a chance like this. I can already tell it lacks voice, but hey, help is help (and after experiencing a few rounds of crits AW-style on other projects, I think I can face anything)

ladybritches

late to the party
Registered
Reaction score
I think most people are open to critical feedback, as well. If not, shame on 'em. Don't post your work if you don't want honest feedback (of course, AWers know that. We're awesome. :D).

I'm slowly but surely reading all the AWers threads. :Thumbs:

I'm working my way through them too. It's a bit overwhelming, to be real honest, and I'm getting a headache.

One of the problems I'm having is that by the time I get to a thread, other posters have already offered advice on the things that I would have mentioned. My favorite way to crit is to not even read the other posts until after I make my suggestions, but then I end up repeating things the OP has already heard and maybe even fixed already.

It's a tough world out there for critiquers. Ha! :D

Oh, and imho, glowing comments are not necessarily dishonest feedback. Some people are just more likely to focus on the things they like. I mean, look how well Fifty Shades of Grey is selling. If you can believe the reviews, some people actually do like the writing. Honest doesn't have to be negative. Good or bad is subjective, and some focus on what they like while others focus on what they don't. Both can be honest opinions. I know as writers it can be frustrating when we only get the "I like it" type comments, because that doesn't really help us improve, but there's no reason to think the reader isn't being honest.

Last edited:

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I agree 100% that glowing feedback can be perfectly honest. A good portion of the comments I've given people have been nothing but positive. I just meant that commenters shouldn't worry about leaving less-than-glowing critiques.