Registered
Reaction score
I haven't posted anything yet

Sydneyd

But I will look out for you all. :)

AmyJay

Registered
Reaction score
Wait, can you post work just to get feedback, or is it only if you're looking for representation? *is confused*

I was there last year! And I didn't get ninja'd until, like, 10 pm on the last day, haha. So it can happen at any time.

Last edited:

Kayley

Someday.
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, can you post work just to get feedback, or is it only if you're looking for representation? *is confused*

I was there last year! And I didn't get ninja'd until, like, 10 pm on the last day, haha. So it can happen at any time.

You can post work just to get feedback as long as you've crit'ed 5 other people first. That's what I'm doing; I'm still revising my MS, so I don't have plans to submit anytime soon. :)

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
I agree w/Kayley - you can put your work up for feedback. I just wrote in the beginning that I was revising this piece and the agents couldn't ask for pages. I think if you're agented, I'd just write something to the effect at the top. People are still giving feedback. :roll: I got one that said "REVISE FASTER so you can query!!"

Kalea

volcanoes melt you down
Registered
Reaction score
I'm posting & critting (as Kalea). But 99% of the feedback is SO POSITIVE that it's really throwing me off.

TudorRose

not napping... brainstorming!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm there, same UN/avi :hi:

Are ninja agent posts clearly marked? I've been through a few query crit threads and haven't spotted any.

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
Ninja Agents Rainbow and Lime are in the forum at the moment (you can see which users are in the forum at the bottom of the main forum page - they're listed alphabetically, which makes them easier to track down. There's also this link you can follow to see if they're online - http://writeoncon.com/forum/showgroups.php - they'll have a green dot next to their name if they're online).

Added you both, btw.

TudorRose

not napping... brainstorming!
Registered
Reaction score
Ninja Agents Rainbow and Lime are in the forum at the moment (you can see which users are in the forum at the bottom of the main forum page - they're listed alphabetically, which makes them easier to track down. There's also this link you can follow to see if they're online - http://writeoncon.com/forum/showgroups.php - they'll have a green dot next to their name if they're online).

Added you both, btw.

Cheers, Netz! :)

ETA: The matching avis for the Ninjas are hilarious!

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey... how do you create a freaking signature? I mean, I know how to create the signature. But how do you link your threads (for example, I want to link my 1st 250 words. And when I try to do it like I would at AW, it doesn't seem to work). I have to go to work, but I really wanted to figure out how to freaking link my 1st 250 words in a freaking signature.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All right, got signature to look right, but it's not showing up in my posts.

I really should have been born 100 years ago.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, well. The signature is showing up in my new posts; just not in the ones I posted before creating the signature.

Have to go to work now. Looking forward to reading everyone's stuff tonight! :)

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
I don't really have much time this week away from the dayjob, but I've been lurking over there from time to time (dl.miller on that site). I've only commented on a few things, as I was scared off by the overwhelming positivity too. I don't want to come off like an "unfriendly" person. :)

Good luck to you all!

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
I don't really have much time this week away from the dayjob, but I've been lurking over there from time to time (dl.miller on that site). I've only commented on a few things, as I was scared off by the overwhelming positivity too. I don't want to come off like an "unfriendly" person. :)

Good luck to you all!

I've just been very polite about it and encouraging, but I don't over-positive, and I do comment when I think the whole thing is a mess. Because I feel it's of no use to the writer if everyone who thinks, "Ugh, this query is going to get you no requests" just skips commenting to avoid being seen as a negative nelly. In many ways, that's not fair to them, and I certainly wouldn't want it to happen to me.

I was a critiquing machine last night. Today I've got to futz with something I just got back from a CP, and pack for my trip tomorrow, but I'll still try to be over there critting YA Contemporary.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah it's a bit odd that people would read "critique" and forget about the "critical" part. There's one girl over there who I've only ever seen comment to say how much she loves something and how awesome it is.

That's what happens when you have a message board full of women haha.

Krissy Reynolds

Once Upon A Dream
Registered
Reaction score
I'm posting & critting (as Kalea). But 99% of the feedback is SO POSITIVE that it's really throwing me off.

Same! On one hand, I love it, but on the other, I don't. Aside from a few little suggestions here and there, I have no clue if I should edit or not. People keep saying its great, but if its not, I don't want to use it.

Hence why I want to be ninjayed. If they just tell me if it sucks or not, I will listen and do whatever they tell me.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Same! On one hand, I love it, but on the other, I don't. Aside from a few little suggestions here and there, I have no clue if I should edit or not. People keep saying its great, but if its not, I don't want to use it.

Hence why I want to be ninjayed. If they just tell me if it sucks or not, I will listen and do whatever they tell me.

I've always wondered if agents are nicer during conference critiques than they would be otherwise. I went to a writers conference this spring and participated in a first-page crit. They were critical but also very positive. I hope the ninjas give everyone good feedback. (I'm nervous about putting anything up. Heck, I'm so nervous I haven't even put anything on SYW!)

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Peter Knapp's pitch crit was pretty interesting. He mentioned Aliens were selling well, for all you sci-fi people out there.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Peter Knapp's pitch crit was pretty interesting. He mentioned Aliens were selling well, for all you sci-fi people out there.

I think BBBurke got that response :) So things might be looking good for anyone else with an alien story.

As for the critiques...I feel like I'm getting more positive stuff than I would get here, but a lot of it is also spot on and offering advice. When I was ninjaed, the agent said a lot of the things that others had said but also added to it as well.

Pinguicha

Has the cutest cat in the world!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pinguicha.wordpress.com
I was one of them -- surprised me, to be honest. Normally, I'm not a lucky person.

Still, super sad he said he wasn't intrigued enough to request some pages. Bu-huu :(

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
It's disappointing, but he did call it a strong query and gave you awesome advice for improvement. It sounds like if you make a couple of changes, it'll be a great query that will get you some bites.

Who knows, maybe you use his comments to change it and you get ninjaed...

Kalea

volcanoes melt you down
Registered
Reaction score
He critiqued my query! I wasn't expecting to get a page request. But hearing what worked and what needed work was great.

Hearing about industry trends is nice, too.

BBBurke

Along for the ride
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairbburke.com
I think BBBurke got that response :) So things might be looking good for anyone else with an alien story.

Yep, that was mine. It was a positive response even though he said he wasn't interested in the alien thing himself. But considering I finished the rough draft two days ago, through together a pitch yesterday, revised it at one in the morning last night, I'll take it all as a good sign. It's going to be a while before I'm really ready to query so I just hope I don't miss the alien bandwagon I'm apparently on.

And while some of the feedback has been blandly positive, I think the AW crew has been representing well with useful advice. I certainly appreciate it.