WriteOnCon online kidlit writers' conference

auriel

Registered
Reaction score
ETA He's tweeting about each pitch too, lol.

Oh Lord. More things for me to stalk while at work, lol.

At least he's giving lots of feedback! Some agents have just been giving like 2-3 sentences.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, the tone is going to be a matter of opinion, and, as I repped you yesterday, I loved it, so I wouldn't really worry about that part of his comment and just take any other of his notes that make sense to you.

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
Oh Lord. More things for me to stalk while at work, lol.

At least he's giving lots of feedback! Some agents have just been giving like 2-3 sentences.

Lol, yeah, I'm just glad I've (coincidentally) had this week off, cos I would have been all twitchy at work wondering how I could sneak looking at all the websites I was keeping track of!

Yup, it's great that he's written so much, and he softens his blows more than Eddie, at any rate. ;)

Yeah, the tone is going to be a matter of opinion, and, as I repped you yesterday, I loved it, so I wouldn't really worry about that part of his comment and just take any other of his notes that make sense to you.

Yeah, if they don't get the tone of the query, they're not going to dig the book - and you don't want an agent who doesn't 'get' you! :D (And thanks for the rep, btw - much appreciated. :))

At least I can breathe again now I've had his feedback, lol.

amschilling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amschilling.com
Awww, sorry, Netz. I'm glad you've got a good attitude about it. It really is subjective.

Did anyone else see the tweet that Eddie is going to be looking at EVERYONE'S pitch? He said after he's done w/ his, he's going to be sneak-reading the rest to see if he wants to ask for pages. Too bad he turned me down in December. I swear, half these agents already have.

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
Got my feedback. He didn't rip me a new one, which was a relief, but the only real feedback was that he didn't like my title. Which is interesting. Nobody's mentioned that before. At any rate this kind of confirms my suspicions that I've written a book nobody really wants to read. Sigh. Thank God for the new WIP, which I'm really psyched about

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It's interesting how some agents' sections are getting a lot of comments from non-agents--both on queries that the agent has and hasn't commented on--and others aren't being touched at all.

Netz

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Lol, he's tweeted that he thinks he's writing too much in his responses (perhaps he saw your post ;)).

Awww, sorry, Netz. I'm glad you've got a good attitude about it. It really is subjective.

Thanks for the sympathy! (Chocolate has helped too, lol.)

Got my feedback. He didn't rip me a new one, which was a relief, but the only real feedback was that he didn't like my title. Which is interesting. Nobody's mentioned that before. At any rate this kind of confirms my suspicions that I've written a book nobody really wants to read. Sigh. Thank God for the new WIP, which I'm really psyched about

Yes - perhaps he was in a better mood by the time he reached yours? Anyway, I think your book sounds interesting, so don't give up on it yet!

rnpudel

Registered
Reaction score
:hi: I didn't realise you were a fellow AWer when I saw you on the WoC forums. I've added you to the list on the first page.

Ha! Hi there! :hi:
Thanks for adding me to the list. :)

amschilling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amschilling.com
Ok, my person is officially torturing me, lol. I'm still next, and she's been offline since yesterday. Boo.

Niiicola, was yours the one he said was dark fantasy/horror? That did sound pretty cool. And yeah, the title thing threw me. It fit.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
At least people are going in and commenting on some pitches that haven't had an agent comment yet

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
He didn't like my tone. :(

:Shrug: (The query is true to the tone of the book...)
This made me think of somebody's mom saying "I don't like your tone, young lady." But in all honestly, I feel like that's not such a bad criticism. Somebody else will love the voice, I bet.

Ok, my person is officially torturing me, lol. I'm still next, and she's been offline since yesterday. Boo.

Niiicola, was yours the one he said was dark fantasy/horror? That did sound pretty cool. And yeah, the title thing threw me. It fit.
Hang in there! Have you subscribed to your thread so it'll email you once she finally responds? That really helped me through the last 24 hours of waiting. Although I did a lot of compulsive checking too, just in case the email got lost.

And yeah, that was mine. Thanks :)

http://writeoncon.com/forum/showthread.php?11083-Schneider-4-NOD

Last edited:

Netz

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's all gone a bit quiet on the agent front again. (Packing up their desks for the night??)

:Hug2:

At least people are going in and commenting on some pitches that haven't had an agent comment yet

It's hard to know what the etiquette is supposed to be for the book bloggers/authors who've been invited to comment. Are they supposed to wait until the agent has made his/her comment first? (What happens if the agent doesn't get around to it until Friday?? That won't leave much time for the rest of them to comment.)

This made me think of somebody's mom saying "I don't like your tone, young lady."

Lol, indeed! :D

amschilling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amschilling.com

Yup, someone did that for me, bless her little heart. Not a Beowulf reader, since she didn't get the Grendel ref, but she liked my opening. :)

Gotta go find that subscribe button. Gonna be another long day tomorrow.

EDIT: Wait. WTF? She skipped me. She's back, and went from 10 to 8. I'm 9. What. The...... *sigh* Let me know when I can get paranoid now, k?

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, no, KR is back in her forum, but she skipped yours, probably because it got knocked to the top.

(Yeah, I saw that the commenter didn't get "Grendel" either, even with the Beowulf reference)

auriel

Registered
Reaction score
It's interesting how some agents' sections are getting a lot of comments from non-agents--both on queries that the agent has and hasn't commented on--and others aren't being touched at all.

Yeah, it is. I wonder what it is that gets peoples' interest - if it's just random browsing and checking out interesting titles.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Yup, someone did that for me, bless her little heart. Not a Beowulf reader, since she didn't get the Grendel ref, but she liked my opening. :)

Gotta go find that subscribe button. Gonna be another long day tomorrow.

EDIT: Wait. WTF? She skipped me. She's back, and went from 10 to 8. I'm 9. What. The...... *sigh* Let me know when I can get paranoid now, k?

Maybe she's considering you as a favorite? Never know.

amschilling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amschilling.com
Tromboli, you're my new favorite person, lol.

She's still going. We'll see if she does #1, since they had a person comment and get put up top, too. I admit I had the exact same thought as Sage--that the nice poster bumped us, so she didn't realize she hadn't commented yet.

We'll see. She's not going to ask me to send pages, unless she had a radical shift in wants since Nov. I'd just like to know if something jumps out at her as weak, so I can fiddle before sending more queries out.

Last edited:

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
She didn't skip 5. 5 was at the top of our forum when she started (I think it was edited) and so she started there. But I'm hoping when she gets to the bottom and there's no #1, she'll maybe check on it and see there are two with comments from someone other than her.

amschilling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amschilling.com
Yeah, I saw that and edited it out. It was at the top yesterday and I forgot.

Here's hoping, Sage. If not, oh well. I can mention it to a mod tomorrow in case she missed us because we got bumped up. I've got double chocolate cookies to hold me until then.

Netz

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, do mention it to a mod - they like things being brought to their attention.

I'm revising my opinion of Eddie now, lol. He's started his own thread in his section, plus he's mopping up Amy Tipton's YA Fantasy (as those aren't really her genre). He shall henceforth be known as Nice Guy Eddie. :D

ETA Apparently there are going to be 60 9th graders in the forum today! Wow, it's gonna get very crowded!

Last edited: