WriteOnCon online kidlit writers' conference

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I would love to participate in something like this, sounds interesting!

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Ha, I probably read yours because I was curious where chapter books were going.

I never made it to the forum, so it never got seen. None of the agents doing twitter pitches seemed to be taking them.

If I'd known, I'd have pitched a picture book.

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
I'm guessing there's not going to be a WriteOnCon this year? (It usually takes place in August.)

Anybody know anything? The website hasn't been updated since last August, and their Twitter and Facebook pages haven't been updated for about the last year either. It's a shame if they've closed down for good - the conferences and forums were a great way to connect with other people in the writing community.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Netz, I heard from one of the people who run it, and there isn't a WriteOnCon this year. Maybe next summer? It's unsure. :(

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad to see it back and am mightily impressed with how they cleaned up the website. But I think I might wait on the fundraiser/early registration, unless they let us know more about the shape of things (like "speakers" and whatnot) going forward then.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Website is super slick, though I have some uneasiness about it's accessibility -- I use a lot of honestly terribly un-accessible sites, but this one is messing with me like no others. The spinning animation on the homepage when hovering over the writing conference/connect and learn sections is dizzying, and the way this checklist jumps in is nauseating to the extreme. There's also a few visual oddities -- the 'submit comment' button on that blog post is hovering *over* some sort of written message I can't read.*

It's a slick website on first glance but it really doesn't work well for actual use and reading.

Still, I'm excited about the con and I like the low entry fee of $1 for general admission to the con. I really hope they don't charge more for the ninja agent events, but I strongly suspect they will.

(*Full disclosure, my dayjob is usability testing for websites so I'm easily irked by these things.)

Last edited:

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
EMaree, I will pass on your feedback about the website. Do you have any good resources you can share about accessibility? It's something we've been discussing but nobody has any experience with.

As for the forums, they are definitely going to stay free :)

Last edited:

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
If you guys have specific questions, let me know and I will try to find answers. It's a brand-new team taking over from the old organizers, and there's a lot of in-process learning happening.

Last edited:

AlyssaHollingsworth

Registered
Reaction score
Website is super slick, though I have some uneasiness about it's accessibility -- I use a lot of honestly terribly un-accessible sites, but this one is messing with me like no others. The spinning animation on the homepage when hovering over the writing conference/connect and learn sections is dizzying, and the way this checklist jumps in is nauseating to the extreme. There's also a few visual oddities -- the 'submit comment' button on that blog post is hovering *over* some sort of written message I can't read.*

It's a slick website on first glance but it really doesn't work well for actual use and reading.

Still, I'm excited about the con and I like the low entry fee of $1 for general admission to the con. I really hope they don't charge more for the ninja agent events, but I strongly suspect they will.

(*Full disclosure, my dayjob is usability testing for websites so I'm easily irked by these things.)

*waves* Hi! I've been working on the website and I appreciated your notes. Sometimes I get over excited about animations, tis true.

I'll look into the spinning animation on the home page. But I was just wondering what browser you're using? When I look at "submit comment," I'm not seeing any hidden text under the button...

Thanks again for your feedback!

Netz

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Has anybody registered for this yet? Looks like the schedule has been posted for the conference now - http://writeoncon.org/schedule/

In the past, the critique forum opened up early and SYW-type threads had more time to get polished before the ninja agents descended. I'm hoping they'll do the same again this year.

Also, I guess I'll have to change names/links in the first post of this thread once things are up and running on the forum, so send me a rep point or PM if you want yours added/updated. :)

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
In the past, the critique forum opened up early and SYW-type threads had more time to get polished before the ninja agents descended. I'm hoping they'll do the same again this year.
Yes, we're still planning to do this two weeks before the conference starts. Will keep you guys posted once they're live. And thanks for sharing the schedule!

Netz

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The WoC forums are now active, folks, and the YA boards are looking popular already. :greenie

If you want me to add your name over there to the list in the first post of this thread, then comment in-thread or send me a rep point/PM and I'll do it as soon as I'm able to. :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I can't resist. I tried, but I failed.

Netz

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
@Sage :greenie

Four ninjas (out of twenty-three) have posted on the forum so far (Ninja Midnight is the most prolific). The ninjas are a mix of agents and editors (more agents than editors, though).

I've updated the front page with some of 'our' names. Let me know if you want yours added. :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Forums are free, but the rest of the site requires money, am I right? That's a shame.

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
The keynotes and forums are free, but the blogs/vlogs/live events have a small admission fee. I know it's a bummer, but in the past the organizers were paying out of their own pockets, and combined with the (massive) time commitment, it's just too much.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
At $10 for extended access to everything, I found it worthwhile even though I never got to the forums and I missed the whole first day because of a deadline. I also never got to pitch at a live event. I still learned a bit about some of the speakers and the craft. The item on "The Call" was very helpful and has been saved for the future.