• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Listen to this: Radio Interview about Writing Scams

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Daniel Steven is the co-author of The Street-Smart Writer, and he just did a radio interview about writing scams that I think is great. Please listen in at http://www.wtopnews.com/emedia/16172.mp3.

Topics covered: agents, POD publishers, vanity poetry contests (Poetry.com), kickback schemes, Martha Ivery, and more.

Good Word

still crazy after all these years
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
Wow--does he do Q & A anywhere?

Sounds like our kind of guy.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
That's great. I love the book, by the way. Is Dan a member here? Where was he when I had questions about my contract? :)

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just had me a listen. Very clear speaker, great choice to co-write Street-Smart Writer with you, Jenna.

Bookmarked his site....

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Too cool! Where's Birol? We should drop a bug in her ear about scheduling him for one of the moderated chat Q&As!

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
MacAllister said:
Too cool! Where's Birol? We should drop a bug in her ear about scheduling him for one of the moderated chat Q&As!
Now that is one helluvan idea.

mreddin

Dreamer
Registered
Reaction score
This is a great interview, though one statement caught my attention. He mentioned that most books have a shelf life of only 3 months or so, which contradicts the statements of a number of published authors here on AW. The self publishers get taken to task for making that statement same statement about the short "shelf life". So, what is the truth here? Why is this gentleman's experience so different than others here on AW and to what do you attribute the differences?

Mike

Spookster

Maiden of the Blade
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Jenna. There are some really great tips for aspiring writers. I think Mac hit the nail on the head. A chat seminar may be beneficial to a lot of folks.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
mreddin said:
This is a great interview, though one statement caught my attention. He mentioned that most books have a shelf life of only 3 months or so, which contradicts the statements of a number of published authors here on AW. The self publishers get taken to task for making that statement same statement about the short "shelf life". So, what is the truth here? Why is this gentleman's experience so different than others here on AW and to what do you attribute the differences?

Mike

Mike, great question, and I hope I can woo Dan over here to answer, but my guess is that he was referring to mass market paperbacks (the smaller, less expensive books you find at drugstores, stationery stores, etc.), which do have shorter lives.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score

Oooh, that really is a brilliant idea. Like I said before, the legal stuff is scary -- I'd love to see him here with knowledgable answers. :D

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Jenna, Mike, I have a possible answer. It has to do with how chain bookstores stock books.

When brand-new books come out, there's a certain period of time they have on the shelves to prove their ongoing selling capability before they're stripped/returned to make room for other books. See, multiple copies of new books usually come to the store when the book is released, and so you'll have, say, three or four copies faced out on the shelf. Once a book is no longer new, if it's been selling well, it will go onto a "permanent stock" list, with automatic reorder when the store's stock level of that book falls below a certain number (for most books, that's one copy; for The Hobbit or something like that, it might be two or three). If the book hasn't sold well enough to justify taking up shelf space on an ongoing basis, it will be removed and stripped or returned. So you get about a three-month grace period to show that your book is worth keeping in-stock permanently--or not.