The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Listen to this: Radio Interview about Writing Scams

wishes you happiness JennaGlatzer's Avatar

Listen to this: Radio Interview about Writing Scams

Daniel Steven is the co-author of The Street-Smart Writer, and he just did a radio interview about writing scams that I think is great. Please listen in at http://www.wtopnews.com/emedia/16172.mp3.

Topics covered: agents, POD publishers, vanity poetry contests (Poetry.com), kickback schemes, Martha Ivery, and more.
    I am no longer here. If you'd like to visit me, please find me at www.jennaglatzer.com or on Facebook. Thanks!

still crazy after all these years Good Word's Avatar
    Wow--does he do Q & A anywhere?

Sounds like our kind of guy.

That's great. I love the book, by the way. Is Dan a member here? Where was he when I had questions about my contract?

I didn't want to work. It was as simple as that. I distrusted work, disliked it. I thought it was a very bad thing that the human race had unfortunately invented for itself.
    -- Agatha Christie

The Pacific Between A Bunch of Stories
    (2006 IPPY Award)

WIP: Beyond the Banyan Tree - draft 9, 125,000 words

Home Page | Blog | Reviews

Am listening now. Too bad that commercial break happened just as he was teeing off on PA.

Drag his buns over here Jenna.
    Recently Thunk Thoughts
    www.frankbaron.com
    My book makes a great gift!

He who conquers others is strong. He who conquers himself is mighty. - Lao Tzu

Just had me a listen. Very clear speaker, great choice to co-write Street-Smart Writer with you, Jenna.

Bookmarked his site....
    "Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's store before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and steal the stereo." -- Bill Gates, Mac Week, March 14, 1989

Stories of Strength
    My listing in the Absolute Write Library.
    Support the Author Advocate Defense Fund

'Twas but a dream of thee El Jefe MacAllister's Avatar
    Too cool! Where's Birol? We should drop a bug in her ear about scheduling him for one of the moderated chat Q&As!

Quote Originally Posted by MacAllister
    Too cool! Where's Birol? We should drop a bug in her ear about scheduling him for one of the moderated chat Q&As!
    Now that is one helluvan idea.
    "Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's store before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and steal the stereo." -- Bill Gates, Mac Week, March 14, 1989

Stories of Strength
    My listing in the Absolute Write Library.
    Support the Author Advocate Defense Fund

Dreamer
    This is a great interview, though one statement caught my attention. He mentioned that most books have a shelf life of only 3 months or so, which contradicts the statements of a number of published authors here on AW. The self publishers get taken to task for making that statement same statement about the short "shelf life". So, what is the truth here? Why is this gentleman's experience so different than others here on AW and to what do you attribute the differences?

Mike

Thanks for the link Jenna. There are some really great tips for aspiring writers. I think Mac hit the nail on the head. A chat seminar may be beneficial to a lot of folks.
    La Vie Bohem

I took the 2006 Rejection Pledge :1/12

Spookster's blog

wishes you happiness JennaGlatzer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mreddin
    This is a great interview, though one statement caught my attention. He mentioned that most books have a shelf life of only 3 months or so, which contradicts the statements of a number of published authors here on AW. The self publishers get taken to task for making that statement same statement about the short "shelf life". So, what is the truth here? Why is this gentleman's experience so different than others here on AW and to what do you attribute the differences?

Mike
    Mike, great question, and I hope I can woo Dan over here to answer, but my guess is that he was referring to mass market paperbacks (the smaller, less expensive books you find at drugstores, stationery stores, etc.), which do have shorter lives.
    I am no longer here. If you'd like to visit me, please find me at www.jennaglatzer.com or on Facebook. Thanks!

Five by Five SuperModerator katiemac's Avatar
    Oooh, that really is a brilliant idea. Like I said before, the legal stuff is scary -- I'd love to see him here with knowledgable answers.

Gone
    Jenna, Mike, I have a possible answer. It has to do with how chain bookstores stock books.

When brand-new books come out, there's a certain period of time they have on the shelves to prove their ongoing selling capability before they're stripped/returned to make room for other books. See, multiple copies of new books usually come to the store when the book is released, and so you'll have, say, three or four copies faced out on the shelf. Once a book is no longer new, if it's been selling well, it will go onto a "permanent stock" list, with automatic reorder when the store's stock level of that book falls below a certain number (for most books, that's one copy; for The Hobbit or something like that, it might be two or three). If the book hasn't sold well enough to justify taking up shelf space on an ongoing basis, it will be removed and stripped or returned. So you get about a three-month grace period to show that your book is worth keeping in-stock permanently--or not.
    Winner of Uncle Jim's Whoo Hoo Super Writer Award and Nomad's Most Use of Vowels in a Screen Name Award as well as Maryn's Only Person on AW Whose Name Anagrams to "I, Octane," "Act I (One)" and "Nice tao" Award in addition to batgirl's Culpeper Award for Botanically Erudite Screen Name plus awatkins' AW's Most Creative Srounger [sic] of Rep Points Award not to mention azbikergirl's Arizona Most Awarded Writer Award and also Dawno's Most Interesting Signature Line Award

When's he going to show up? He's obviously an excellent resource!
    I Have Measured Out My Life with Coffee Spoons ...
    And I've Found Tea to be Better

My characters make morally ambiguous decisions in order to advance the plot.

Twittering -- it's like crack for bloggers

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Speaking of excellent resources, Mr. Steven's website: http://www.publishlawyer.com/index.htm
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: