Anybody into Sirius?

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Been listening to Deep Tracks, Classic Vinyl, Real Jazz, Siriusly Sinatra, and it's been a Serious pleasure. Don't know the schedules, haven't checked out all of the channels, and I'm never quite sure what's live and what's a rerun. But Dylan has/had a show on Deep Tracks, playing his favorites, most of which I'd never heard- his banter in between cuts is, in a word, poetic. Tom Petty has a show called Buried Treasure which is heavily Blues based, but he plays a lot of Classic Rock as well. Real Jazz plays a lot of bebop based jazz- caught a few shows dj'ed by Christian McBride, the great jazz bassist, and the Sinatra family puts out a helluva spread, with Nancy and her daughter, A.J., hosting shows of their own- the channel plays the great vocalists of the Songbook, including the Old Man...

Anybody else dig Sirius? It's pure proof that money is indeed the root of all evil- at least all evil that is monotonous and trite. At once you are reminded of the great texture that has been American and British music over the past 75 years or so- lest you begin to believe that popular music has always been as condescending as most of it is now. There is one Sirius channel (that I know of) that runs ad space, The 60's, so rest assured that there is still somewhere that you can go to hear Satisfaction and Yesterday and Louie Louie on loop. Don't get me wrong, I liked those tunes too, the first 500 or so times I heard them. Not that the beaten track is totally avoided on the other stations I mentioned, but Deep Tracks for instance, is dedicated to airing the lesser known cuts from the Classic Rock household names like Stones or Beatles or Led. If you don't have Sirius you might consider it- need I say that this has not been a paid for endorsement?

If you have it, what am I missing? I've tried Coffee House, which is singer song writers then and now... what else?

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday, I forgot I'd left my Sirius Radio sitting on an outside table in the backyard, the sprinklers came on at dusk, and now the only sounds the unit will emit are the intermittent garbles of a crackling fire. I am heartbroken.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... that's a shame. Go out and get yourself a new one or get the one you have fixed if you can. If you enjoy it that much you should. Usually when things of mine break I wait forever to replace them. Everyone but me has a Sirius Radio. Not so bad in a way. They let me listen and then head for the hills when I turn on my stations. 40's on 4 is my favorite. Real Jazz is cool too though they've begun to have yapping DJs of sorts on it. Still good music. The best station for Jazz is actually on AOL, which I have at work. I don't get to listen that often. They have a channel dedicated exclusively to Bebop. How cool is that?! ps Good to see you around. Thought you'd departed for good :-(

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Ken, how you doin'? If I can't get it fixed that's what I'll do, I'll get myself a new one. Music is my way of unwinding and re-centering at the end of the day. Lately, that doesn't come till about 10pm, when I just can't think anymore. That's why I haven't been around for a while- just got too much goin' on and I'm a bit stretched out. The killin' thing, is I fear I'm not doing a very good job at any of the things I'm lookin' at. A drag 'cause my heart is set otherwise. It's been a mutha of a year.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... good times; bad times. That's how it usually goes. Just gotta keep looking ahead when it's overcast. Best policy. And like you say, music is a great refreshment. Sorta like an instant vacation. Stay strong, pal. ps Ever hear Nancy's "Boots were made for walking." Fun song there :) Watched the video too. Some looker.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Not to worry, Ken- I'm a pretty tough nut.

Yeah, Nancy's a killin' thing. Her sister Tina is beautiful as well. Got some mutual friends, and the word is as pretty as they are that's how cool they are, too. Nancy Sr. has got to be in her late 90's. Pretty sure she's a little older than Frank would be. Good genes in that family...

By the way, my Sirius Radio heaved a couple of chesty coughs, growled to clear away the rest of the phlegm, and voila! The music didn't die after all!

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... glad to hear it. Also good to know you're tough. Don't like my pals any other way ;-)

I was listening to Jo Stafford, earlier. Got a tape of her songs. She's described as having a "perfect pitch." Not exactly sure what that means, but she does have a great voice. Very enjoyable to listen to. Puts one in a peaceful frame.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, Jo Stafford is one of those many singers or bands that though I've liked what I've heard, I haven't given them enough listens to have a valid opinion. Nat King Cole had perfect pitch- so did Art Tatum. I think Barbra Streisand, too. It just means being able to call a note by the hearing. So, if you hit a B Flat on the keyboard, I could tell you what you played without sneaking a look.