Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are such wonders and horrors in the range of what humans do.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Probably one of those act first, think later situations.

one would think the inherent wrongness of murdering one's daughter might occur to one during the several minutes it takes one to suffocate one's daughter with a plastic bag.

fuck these throwbacks. let em rot.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
shit. i didn't notice that.

they're being railroaded. obviously 'twas dick cheney what committed the crime.

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
People baffle me sometimes. They really do. I just don't understand how they thought they'd get away with something like this.

They got away with it for nine years.

In general, I understand that people do things differently around the world. But screw moral relativism. There's evil, and this is it, and any system that says it's okay is evil.

Period.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I will ever understand how members of a culture can perceive shame in the wearing of denim jeans but not in the murder of a child.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
I don't think I will ever understand how members of a culture can perceive shame in the wearing of denim jeans but not in the murder of a child.

I take this kind of thing as a warning. What obvious moral blindspots will future societies see in us and wonder that we did not notice the evils going on under our noses while we complained about the equivalent of sinful jean-wearing.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score

some members of a culture.

The Muslim community where I live is up in arms over this. There's a woman from the local Islamic community centre giving talks to schools about how to recognise the signs, and what to do if they suspect a child is in danger.

Thankfully, some members of that same culture are fighting to bring their peers into the 21st century.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I take this kind of thing as a warning. What obvious moral blindspots will future societies see in us and wonder that we did not notice the evils going on under our noses while we complained about the equivalent of sinful jean-wearing.

I wonder this every. single. day.
2318421100100527759S500x500Q85.jpg

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I've been following this story -- totally heartbreaking. At least justice has been done but it won't bring her back. I cannot even begin to fathom what must have been going on in those parents' minds.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
some members of a culture.

This... Isn't just a Muslim thing. Really, it isn't - I know some people have been pointing to other instances of honor killings as some sort of trend, but this goes beyond any one religion. There was a young boy killed in London a few years back in some sort of Houdou ceremony, and there have been instances of youngsters killed in "exorcisms" (yeah) and I'm sure if I dug around I could find other things which would make me feel similarly disgusted.

The Muslim community where I live is up in arms over this.

Everyone should be up in arms about parents killing their children.

Sometimes I find that my comprehension of humanity has massive gaps. I really am struggling to understand how anyone can do this kind of thing, and the more I read the less I buy the fact that it was anything other than utterly selfish motives.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
T

Everyone should be up in arms about parents killing their children.

Sometimes I find that my comprehension of humanity has massive gaps. I really am struggling to understand how anyone can do this kind of thing, and the more I read the less I buy the fact that it was anything other than utterly selfish motives.

Planned and done delliberately and consciously, not in a fit of rage, which I actually COULD at a stretch understand and even forgive. It makes me sick.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
I think it works along this way:

In rural Pakistan and India, the houses are small. There is often only one bed to sleep on, so the whole family sleeps on it. This is not an uncommon practice - it was once common to see in England as late as the Victorian era. You would see it in North America until the Edwardian Era.

The local justice system is not very robust. Because family beds are so common, so is incest. The only way to keep incest from happening is demanding a virginity test. When a newlywed couple hames for the first time, the sight of blood is watched for. (Or at least, that was the ancient English tradition.) Anyways, if the test is failed, the daughter's father is shamed and faces serious sanctions. He might not be able to marry off his daughters and his family goes down a few notches in the heirarchy. This can affect stability a great deal. It can mean the family loses land or lose business; they might not be able to get food as regularly.

So that is the risk.

Because it is so competitive, they develop a labyrinthine, byzantine and ultimately self-contradicting system of traditions and beliefs that it leads to such silly conclusions.

But now they have to face a robust justice system and that is going to suck for the parents.

I'm still stuck on "family beds = incest." I can't see that connection.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Me neither. I think the insistence of viginity has nothing to do with incest. It has to do with men wanting to be certain that they really are the fathers of their children.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad they were convicted, but I'm sick it happened.